First time to St. Thomas, HELP!

nikkinoo1011

So, we are going on a cruise in July. I am a planner and love to know what I am going to do. We already booked a tour with Bernard in St Marteen, and have no idea about St. Thomas. I was looking at Magen's Bay, but it may be too crowded. Does anyone have ideas for me? My husband and I are traveling with our two 13 year olds, and one 15 year old. What mode of transportation would you recommend? We are looking for a beach to hang out at for around 3 or 4 hours. We also would like to grab lunch while there, and do a little shopping. I am at a loss as to what to do. Any help would be appreciated! :)

I just want to comment that July is off-season, especially for cruise ships. It is unlikely that Magens or any other spot will be crowded then!;)

Here is an idea: Rent a car (with 5 people you will save all sorts of money and you will have flexibility) and do a self-guided island tour. You can stop at a couple of different spots, have lunch, shop, etc.

I was looking at Magen's Bay...

And you should look at Magens. It is phenominal there. :) Honestly, you seem a little nervous and I understand that - for this reason, I recommend you do not rent a car. The driving can be a little harrowing, especially on those winding mountain roads. Also, they drive on the opposite side of the road than in North America and if you aren't used to it, it can be nerve-wracking.

I would recommend a taxi to Magens. It is very easy to get there on your own and a lot of others from your ship will be doing the same thing. It's perfectly safe and easy. There are open air, Safari-style taxis which seat about 16 - 20 people. The dispatcher will direct you to one where all the passengers are going to the same place. The cost is a fixed flat rate of either $8 or $9 per person, each way, with a $4 admission charge to Magens. You should go early if you can, partly because it won't be crowded yet but then you can stay as long as you want, get lunch and drinks at the concession stand, maybe rent a kayak (there are not motor sports permitted at Magens), or just swim for hours in the gorgeous, warm turquoise water.

When you are ready to go back, you will see the cab drivers lined up ready to go; tell them your ship and he will take all of you back to the same place. Or, ask him to drop you in town and you could do some shoppoing and walk back if you are at Havensight pier (Crown Bay is a little farther away).

Have fun and enjoy beautiful St. Thomas. :)

Megans is crowded alot of the time and I prefer Sapphire beach or Coki beach. They are free where as Megans charges an entrance fee. They are an easy cab ride from the ship and back and have a restaurant, bar and chairs for rent.

The people in St Thomas drive like maniacs. I personally would never rent a car there.

Another beach to consider is Morningstar. Hotel right there where you can buy food at the bar or in the restaurant. No shopping though except for hotel shop.

I used to like Morningstar (which is at the Marriott) but I was there last October and the beach was very rocky.

Okay, to repeat...In July, Magens will not be crowded. And driving on the left is *not* that difficult. Have the navigator remind the driver to stick to the left side of the road, especially at turns. You will be hard-pressed to get the car going over 30mph. The freedom of stopping at beaches as you desire will make up for any anxiety!;)

I checked, and so far, there is only one other ship in port that day. Should I really go for Magens?

I don't understand the issue? It's beautiful there, but the other beaches mentioned in this thread and on this board are wonderful too. Up to you.

Re: renting a car:

The freedom of stopping at beaches as you desire will make up for any anxiety!;)

Wow, I so disagree, but that's what these boards are for. ;)

Thanks for all the advice. I think we are going to stick with a taxi to drive us around. I would rather have someone take us to Magen's that knows where they're going. Besides, I have a feeling my hubby would make me drive, and he loves being a back seat driver. ;) It's settled! :) We're going to take a taxi to Magen's. Based on your opinions, it doesn't sound like it will be too crowded. Thanks everyone!!

Okay, to repeat...In July, Magens will not be crowded. And driving on the left is *not* that difficult. Have the navigator remind the driver to stick to the left side of the road, especially at turns. You will be hard-pressed to get the car going over 30mph. The freedom of stopping at beaches as you desire will make up for any anxiety!;)

My wife and I and two friends will be in St. Thomas in March for the first time and we've decided to rent a car to save money and enjoy the freedom of doing whatever we want. I'll be driving and I'm not too worried about the anxiety of driving on the left or anything. When my wife and I went to Nassau on our honeymoon cruise we rented a scooter and it was our favorite activity on the entire cruise because we could do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted.

On that note, we're looking to rent Jet Skis here, I've heard our best bet is Coki or Sapphire beach, anybody have any insights on that?

I've been to Coki and Sapphire and prefer Coki because there is more to do there than just laying on the beach and swim. Coral World is right down the beach along with food/drink vendors and a little shopping. Both Coki and Sapphire have reefs, Magens Bay does not.

Archived