Pot smell in hallway one night

oratheeexplorer

If medicinal marijuana is legal in both Alaska and Canada why would it be a problem on a cruise that hits only those two countries?

The catch is that it is still illegal by federal law in the US regardless of what the state law says.

We have smelled it from our balcony on many cruises, and once in a while in the hallways. We would NEVER consider reporting it. It's not our business and they certainly were not bothering us.

I totally agree with your views on this. What happens on the high seas stays on the "high" seas:D

The catch is that it is still illegal by federal law in the US regardless of what the state law says.

Agreed 100% as well as the cross state lines stuff, but if you're in Alaskan waters, and you have a valid Alaskan prescription, would/should the cruise line take it from you?

Normally if you were caught on board with it, the cruise line security would turn you over to the police at the next port, but with a valid Alaskan prescription the local police would not be able to do anything, would they?

I guess what I'm getting at here is what good does it do the cruise line to prevent anyone from using a drug legally prescribed?

I do not use, and even if I did I would never take it on a cruise that crosses international borders. Just curious. Thanks

Regardless of your opinions about the use of drugs, all cruise lines have zero tolerance towards their use or possession aboard any ship in order to stay in business and adhere to the law.
I agree since federal laws apply, not state laws. It's not like CA where anyone can call a clinic and get a prescription.

Even if someone reports it, it wouldn't get anyone in trouble as long as they can provide a legal prescription. It's up to whoever is investigating it to determine whether it's legal or not, not someone walking down the hallway or smelling it on a balcony. If you're doing drugs illegally, you are knowingly running the risk and should be prepared for any consequences. It's called personal responsibility.

Agreed 100% as well as the cross state lines stuff, but if you're in Alaskan waters, and you have a valid Alaskan prescription, would/should the cruise line take it from you?

Normally if you were caught on board with it, the cruise line security would turn you over to the police at the next port, but with a valid Alaskan prescription the local police would not be able to do anything, would they?

I guess what I'm getting at here is what good does it do the cruise line to prevent anyone from using a drug legally prescribed?

I do not use, and even if I did I would never take it on a cruise that crosses international borders. Just curious. Thanks

I've never heard of local authorities boarding a ship in Alaska to bust someone for pot. So much easier just to kick passengers off who abuse the ship's policy on it rather than involving local authorities. Much less press too.

I've never heard of local authorities boarding a ship in Alaska to bust someone for pot. So much easier just to kick passengers off who abuse the ship's policy on it rather than involving local authorities. Much less press too.
I believe that once it's determined that the person is doing something illegal, they are required to report it. They don't have any other option.

We were on a Tahiti cruise a few years back and had several people complain about people smoking pot on their balconies. I didn't think much about it until we got to LAX and the Beagle Brigade went nuts alerting on luggage was pretty funny.

How many of us have been "offered" pot, (among other drugs) on a lot of the Caribbean islands. I can't count the number of times hubby especially, has been asked if he wanted to buy some weed or drugs.. I've been asked once, but he's been asked many times. Go Figure. LOL

I've smelled it once or twice while cruising, but like most here, live and let live. I don't smoke it but it doesn't bother me if someone else wants to take that kind of chance. I personally, think it's a very stupid thing to bring on board, but thats just my opinion.

I believe that once it's determined that the person is doing something illegal, they are required to report it. They don't have any other option.

Unless of course the Master of the ship or his officers wish to partake. This a a constant activity on most ships and the concern lies mainly with anyone trying to transport large substances to sell to the public. Not an individual or two smoking a joint in their room. This is how its played folks-like it or not on most ships.

I don't want the smell of weed wafting into my cabin no more than I want cigarette smoke billowing about. Also, for the argument being made in favor or medicinal marijuana, there is something called marinol. It's marijuana in tablet form

and is used for nausea for those undergoing chemo.

As stated earlier by others, state laws do not trump federal laws, hence,

joints are illegal to transport.

I will leave the morality of it to the preachers , and the legality of it to the lawyers.

But from my experiences after 48 years on God's Green Earth. I would rather be amongst a bunch of pot smokers , than a bunch of drunks any day.

I can't believe it took this long into this thread to find a reply such as thine one. THANK YOU! OMG...I can't believe there are people that would actually call security if they smelled pot. Get real. It just blows my mind that someone would actually do that...what are they...12? Anyway, I don't smoke it but could care less if someone lights up.

I don't want to start World War III, but give me the smell of pot anytime night and day over 2 seconds of cigar smoke. Now THAT should be illegal because that is EVIL and has been known to ruin vacations.

Relax folks....it is really none of your business if someone is lighting up a joint on their balcony. They aren't asking you to transport it and NO, you will NOT test positive if you happen to be in the wrong place and get a wiff of it (do people really think you would test positive by smelling it...seriously?).

Our friends (both highly professional...one has two PhDs and the other is an attorney) were both smoking pot the other night. Get used to it folks....it will be legal for personal use. And as far as I'm concerned, either make alcohol illegal and pot legal because I'd rather be with a pot smoker than someone drunk any day of the week.

If someone high or drunk had to drive me home, give me the person that smoked pot any day of the week. If the driver is drinking, he/she will drive about 80 mph feeling like they are going 30. The pot smoker will go 30 feeling like they are going 80. If I'm going to be in accident, let me be in the car that is going 30! Don't hear of deaths caused by pot smokers...alcohol is SOOOOO much worse than pot and we know prohibition didn't work so it will happen in our lifetime...like it or not. If we could only figure out a way to make cigar smoke illegal....

Again, I don't smoke it and hubby doesn't drink or smoke. I do have a designated driver which is pretty cool.

Be careful out there folks....and hold your breathe if you happen to walk into a puff of smoke!

:)

Did you check out the brownies in the Horizon Court!!!!!!

HA!

This reminds me of an incident.

In my career, I traveled frequently and sometimes was gone from home for a week or more.

On time, I arrived home late at night after a grueling 16 hour journey from Moscow, through Helsinki to NY to Philly. I was totally pooped.

My daughter was living on her own but my then-18 year old son was still living at home. A good kid, nice friends,,never worried about leaving him alone at home at all.

Anyway, I dragged my suitcase in the back door and noticed a huge plate of chocolate chip cookies, freshly baked on the kitchen counter. So, I poured myself a glass of milk, grabbed a handful of cookies....headed to the bedroom. On the way, I past "the kids" room, knocked and said "hi", I'm home but tired...goiing to bed. He has 2/3 friends over who were hanging in his room listening to music and doing what 18 year old guys do with they hang at home.

I fell thankfully into my wonderful bed, consumed the cookies and drank the milk. My son had stuck his head in the door, welcome home, how was the trip, etc...and nodded off.

It was several years later when I found out, from my then nearing 30 son and those same buddies, that those cookies were special made with a secret ingredient...and they didn't know what to do. I guess they had a discussion about whether or not they should say something to me or not..or what might happen...would I get high.... They decided to say nothing, cross fingers and hope for the best. Good idea...I went right to sleep.

When they were telling me this, I laughed==hard. And, I was thinkinbg "ah, callow youth. The current generation always think they are the very first to smoke pot, make out with boy/girlfriends, dance"....

They never think their parents may have done something equally wicked in their youth.

After all, I was a teener in the 50's, a child of rock n roll, a mother in the 60's with a foot in the revolution and one in the nursery.

What a pleasure it has been to watch my 'babies' raising teeners themselves. HA!!

All it takes is an officer walking by to get caught, so it wouldn't be the smartest move to do drugs on a cruise ship. I've seen people disembarked in handcuffs and turned over to the FBI in a foreign port. There have been several cases recently on RCCL ships where passengers or crew were caught. It's not unusual these days for a random inspection to be done with a drug-sniffing dog. You're not in the US, and some countries are pretty darned strict.

It would see to me to be an unlikely waste of FBI and taxpayer money to send FBI agents to a foreign port to take custody of a pot smoker.

Did you know thats what they had done, and that the agents were clearly identifiable to you as FBI?

As the ship was unlikely to be US registered,those generally only sail in Hawaii, and you say it was a foreign port, I would have expected local police to deal with it.

I cannot see where FBI would get involved in that. Are you sure of your facts?

I don't get this thread. Has no one here ever had a friend or relative graduate from pot to LSD, coke, heroin or assorted pills to get high? Has no one here ever had a friend , family member or know of someone's kid who died from using illegal drugs?

Why are all these drugs against the law? They do no harm?

After 30 years of working with kids and watching family tragedies because of Pot, the stepping stone to hard drugs, I understand the reason for the laws.

My relative thumbed his nose at pot laws, moved on to coke and died at 43.

If anyone was breaking the law on the ship, i would report it.

From a never smoker/toker, I don't understand why so many people feel pot smoke is less objectionable than regular smoke. Personally, I find the smell of pot much worse....

On CB a couple of years ago I could smell it strongly from our aft balcony. While I didn't report it, I was extremely nervous that someone might think it was emanating from my teen son.

Why are all these drugs against the law? They do no harm?

After 30 years of working with kids and watching family tragedies because of Pot, the stepping stone to hard drugs, I understand the reason for the laws.

Perhaps a better question to ask is why, if the laws against drug use seem to be an abject failure, immense resources are spent on imprisonment that might better be devoted to counseling and treatment. (The US has the highest rate of imprisonment in the entire world, and over half of federal inmates are in prison on drug-related charges.) There are also the immense social costs caused by criminal activity related to the illegality of drugs...remember Chicago in the 1920s?

While your relative may have "moved on" from pot to coke and died, many of people of my generation know lots of folks who've smoked grass for decades and are doing just fine, thank you. And...did your relative also drink? Why not say he took advantage of the legality of alcohol laws, then moved on to cocaine and died? You said it yourself: marijuana prohibition mattered not a whit in his case. In any case, despite your anecdotal evidence, the whole "gateway drug" theory is far from scientifically settled; I'd suggest you do some research on just how debatable it really is.

Vast numbers of people will die prematurely from illnesses related to drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco, and eating too much food - collectively, over 50 times the number of deaths tied to illicit drugs, essentially none of which are related to marijuana use. Yet these are activities that are not only tolerated but encouraged on each and every Princess ship.

Lecture over.

Perhaps a better question to ask is why, if the laws against drug use seem to be an abject failure, immense resources are spent on imprisonment that might better be devoted to counseling and treatment. (The US has the highest rate of imprisonment in the entire world, and over half of federal inmates are in prison on drug-related charges.) There are also the immense social costs caused by criminal activity related to the illegality of drugs...remember Chicago in the 1920s?

While your relative may have "moved on" from pot to coke and died, many of people of my generation know lots of folks who've smoked grass for decades and are doing just fine, thank you. And...did your relative also drink? Why not say he took advantage of the legality of alcohol laws, then moved on to cocaine and died? You said it yourself: marijuana prohibition mattered not a whit in his case. In any case, despite your anecdotal evidence, the whole "gateway drug" theory is far from scientifically settled; I'd suggest you do some research on just how debatable it really is.

Vast numbers of people will die prematurely from illnesses related to drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco, and eating too much food - collectively, over 50 times the number of deaths tied to illicit drugs, essentially none of which are related to marijuana use. Yet these are activities that are not only tolerated but encouraged on each and every Princess ship.

Lecture over.

Well said...

Archived