Be aware about travel insurance please read

jamiedog11

Hi,

Just to let you know about my ordeal trying to get travel insurance for my mum.

The so called 225 conditions free of charge, this to me mean you dont have to tell them about it as it is free. YOU DO HAVE TO, plus they are classing my mums colestrol at 5.4 as high/raise, this pushing the premium up by nearly £200 she is not on any tablets for the condition.

If were to claim for the above would be void.

please please please be aware.

When will they make it clearer.:confused::confused::confused:

Who claims your mums 5.4 is high? elevated I agree, but whose isn't? 3/4 of the publics Cholesterol is well above that and depending on their age and weight, as well as what they have eaten in the last few days before the blood test it's usually higher.

I quote the NHS;

"In the UK, two out of three adults have a total cholesterol level of 5mmol/L or above.

On average, men in England have a cholesterol level of 5.5mmol/L and women have a level of 5.6mmol/L.

The UK population has one of the highest average cholesterol concentrations in the world."

So if Mr & Mrs average is going to be charged for it being raised, name and shame this insurance company and we will avoid them! :mad:

Hi,

No one as such it was her doctor being over carefull, but as she was on tablets (for which she was told she had no reason to be on them today as she went for a test ect) and was taken off these tablets weeks ago.

It is on her record so had to be declared (thanks doctor)

Should be a cut off point for a high reading i e (6.5) or what ever.

You should tell the insurance company that it is a preventive measure rather than a treatment. Doctors will issue statins (as per NHS guidelines to those with elevated cholesterol (over a certain age or in at risk groups)) if it has been elevated on 3 consecutive occurances as a prevention against coronary heart disease rather than a treatment for CHD the insurance company would normally ask if it for the treatment of or the prevention of an episode.

Just wondering where you are cruising as that seems like a very high quote to boost it by £200 , we went round the Caribbean last year including a few nights in Orlando and both of us have medical conditions ( i have 4 alone ) dh has 2 including high colestrol and i only paid £90 for both of us for premium cover , could you search around for a cheaper suitable policy ? i know cheaper doesnt mean better but i got all my conditions covered and made sure everything else was well covered something like up to 10 million medical expenses cover .

Because the NICE guidelines say cholersterol should ideally be less than 4, a reading of 5.4 would be considered raised, so I can see why the insurance company have reacted annoying though it is.

But are there not two different kinds of chloresterol? Mind was raised once but my doctor said it was the good kind that was much higher than the bad kind - whatever that means !!

Cholesterol is a strange one. Just because you have high levels does not mean you have a problem. Some people like myself have naturally high cholesterol. Doesn't mean you will get heart disease from it. I declared it and have never been charged extra. Mind you I am only 29.

My parents were quoted £2,600 for travel insurance for a two week Caribbean cruise.

Between them they have a history of heart attack (16 years ago) breast cancer (9 years ago) high blood pressure, cholesterol, osteoporosis, angina, all under control.

All I can say is a) shop around and b) take your long haul holidays before your medical conditions make it cost-prohibitive.

Their holidays are now restricted to Europe, despite the fact that day-to-day they are fit and active.

Carol x

Hi,

Just to let you know about my ordeal trying to get travel insurance for my mum.

The so called 225 conditions free of charge, this to me mean you dont have to tell them about it as it is free. YOU DO HAVE TO, plus they are classing my mums colestrol at 5.4 as high/raise, this pushing the premium up by nearly £200 she is not on any tablets for the condition.

If were to claim for the above would be void.

please please please be aware.

When will they make it clearer.:confused::confused::confused:

That sounds a huge extra amount. Shop around and try different insurers. My husband only had to pay a few pounds extra for high cholesterol, diabetes and high blood pressure. Direct Travel Insurance.

Most insurance companies require 6 months clear after any operation or prescribed medicine. My wife had an operation on September 1st last year, and had painkillers for 2 weeks. The insurers will not renew our yearly policy until mid March ( 6 months later), nor will they cover any cruises we book before then.

Richard

Just had a quote of £160 for a 12 night Canaries cruise, £100 is the loading for my wife who had a stroke in Aug last year, but we also take meds. for my high bp and her atrial fibrulation.

We also both take statins but the nurse assessor was only concerned if our cholesterol was higher than 7.

The quote seems a bit high, but when you compare it to the cost of the cruise it's not too bad. In addition I know that we will be fully covered for pre existing conditions and as the NA said it can cost £10,000 to airlift you off a cruise ship so you need to be certain the insurance will cover everything.

That sounds a huge extra amount. Shop around and try different insurers. My husband only had to pay a few pounds extra for high cholesterol, diabetes and high blood pressure. Direct Travel Insurance.

Those conditions are hardly the same as the ones cited by the previous poster.

Quotations involving the US are always significantly higher.

I just book in the US and use US insurance - far more flexible.

WD

From my policy document:

If You have only one Medical Condition and this is one of those shown in the

following list, then this will be covered under the policy without the need to contact

Us. If You have more than one condition You will need to contact Us and be medically

screened:

Acid reflux

Acne

Attention Deficit

Hyperactivity

Disorder (ADHD)

Allergy (requiring

non prescriptive

treatment only)

Broken bones

Cataracts

Colds or influenza

Dyspepsia

Eczema

Gout

Hayfever

Hypercholesterolaemia

(high cholesterol)

Hysterectomy (provided

carried out more than

6 months ago)

Irritable Bowel

Syndrome

Menopause

Migraine

Psoriasis

Tonsilitis

Underactive thyroid

Varicose veins

Thanks Matty, my insurance will now soar thanks to your list!:eek:

How many spots do I need to have for it to be classed as acne? Do they count if they are pimples or boils and how do I know the difference?

I once bought a bottle of Gaviscon and some Migraleave, do I need to declare jumping acid and migranes? :rolleyes:

I have had both cold and flu since I was born, does this count as a medical condition? :confused:

My stomach often rumbles and I sometimes can't wait long before I need the toilet, could this be IBS?

I've a patch of dry skin on my leg, if I get it dianosed will it affect my premium?

I sometimes have a sore throat but don't know if it's actually tonsilitis, how would I check?

Oh, now I think about it, I must have depression because i've just realised i've got all these pre existing medical conditions :eek:

:p THANKS MATTY :p

Can I also just mention that if you take an annual policy, it is often less than taking out a single trip one. When I asked the insurance company why that is, they told me that if you have say one trip to the States or Caribbean, they will assume that all the rest are in Europe and that brings the overall cost down. Having said that, we have paid £267 for our single trip 24 day US/Canada cruise, because of my husband's two conditions. That was a good price, compared with loads of others which were double or triple that.

I've had my heart re-started 4 times, on dozens of meds, in/out hospital and I use http://www.allcleartravel.co.uk and that covers me for all med conditions usually only around £100-£200. They also do a special cruise one which also covers if you miss the ship in port or if ports are skipped due to weather etc...

http://www.allclearcruise.co.uk

Never had a problem, they send you a full brochure with clear policy laid out..

All quotes online answering medical questions.

From my policy document:

If

You have only one Medical Condition and this is one of those shown in the

following list, then this will be covered under the policy without the need to contact

Us

. If You have more than one condition You will need to contact Us and be medically

screened:

Acid reflux

Acne

Attention Deficit

Hyperactivity

Disorder (ADHD)

Allergy (requiring

non prescriptive

treatment only)

Broken bones

Cataracts

Colds or influenza

Dyspepsia

Eczema

Gout

Hayfever

Hypercholesterolaemia

(high cholesterol)

Hysterectomy (provided

carried out more than

6 months ago)

Irritable Bowel

Syndrome

Menopause

Migraine

Psoriasis

Tonsilitis

Underactive thyroid

Varicose veins

That is a weird list - why is menopause on but not Hypertension ?? What on earth causes acne to lead to an insurance claim - a spot on a formal night ??

That is a weird list - why is menopause on but not Hypertension ?? What on earth causes acne to lead to an insurance claim - a spot on a formal night ??

[/left]

I spotted that one, since I have hypertension.

And why is menopause regarded as a 'medical condition'?

Archived