Opinions on hotels in Rome

Sunshine required

Hi there,

My family and I will be sailing on Navigator of the Seas in July. We are staying one night pre-cruise in Rome.

I would prefer to stay the night in Civitavecchia since we will have limited time and it will save on transportation to the ship. Although my family would like to spend the night in Rome and have been looking into the following hotels, can anyone recommend some of these?

Hotel Zara

Doge Hotel

King Hotel

Principessa Tea Hotel

Trevi Hotel

Navona Hotel

La Fenice Hotel

Della Torre Argentina

Albergo Del Senato Hotel

Caprice Hotel

Bramante Hotel

Hotel Diplomatic

River Palace Hotel

Farnese Hotel Rome

Hotel Locarno

Veneto Hotel

Exective Hotel

Trainio Hotel

Savoy Hotel

Also recomendations of shuttle services from airport to hotel and from hotel to port would be appreciated (we do not want to take the train as we are travelling with 3 year old)

Many thanks!

Suggest you stay in Rome; it's not that far to the port. Go to tripadvisor.com and read the reviews of the hotels you're interested in; it will provide lots of informtion. We always rent apartments, so I haven't stayed at any of them. We are going to Rome this week and booked transportation with Romecabs.com:

http://www.romecabs.com/

We just finished the "Rome hotel selection exercise" and after lots and lots of research we narrowed it down to two hotels that are on your list--Navona Hotel and Albergo del Senato. These hotels were in the area that was most recommended by people on this board as they are close to many attractions such as Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps and the Pantheon. If you only have one night in Rome it would be nice to be able to walk around in the evening and see a few sights. We eventually selected Albergo del Senato which was the more expensive of the two. The reviews for the Navona were mixed while the reviews of Albergo del Senato were consistently very good. We won't know until October whether we made a good choice or not.

Holy smoke..... thats quite a list of hotels !

First I would suggest you go to Tripadvisor and read the reviews there for each one.....

Second I would suggest you do a search here for each one and see what pops up......

by narrowing down the list this way, you will save yourself a big headache as most people have not stayed in but maybe one or two hotels in Rome themselves. Each person will have their own idea of a good/great hotel due to their interests and likes. Also BUDGET will have a BIG part of the decision.

I can personally recommend the Albergo del Senato. We stayed there both pre and post cruise our second trip to Rome. It was wonderful. Perfect location (that is what can drive the prices up) as well as wonderful staff, nice rooms, breakfast included and a perfect rooftop bar for sunsets. It is more expensive for a reason.

I can also personally recommend Romecabs for shuttle services. We used them our last trip also. I will say that a taxi from the airport to the hotel is just as good. About the same price too. We had reservations with Romecabs to pick us up but flight delays caused me to call and cancel mid-trip as we didnt know EXACTLY when we would arrive :( We took a taxi instead (we used a taxi our first trip also). Stefano was wonderful about the cancellation. We did use him for our ride to the port and for the returns post cruise.

Good luck with your research

Sorry for crashing your thread but we have never been to Rome and do not want to make the wrong choice in hotels for our 4 day after cruise stay so what are your opinions on the Artemide hotel gets great reviews on tripadvisor, and is it as close to the sites as it says on there website no more than 20 min walk to most places. Is the price of 187 euros a night resonable for this hotel or can we do better elsewhere. This is why I love cruise critic you can get so much first hand knowledge.

Thank you

Brent

what are your opinions on the Artemide hotel gets great reviews on tripadvisor, and is it as close to the sites as it says on there website no more than 20 min walk to most places. Is the price of 187 euros a night resonable for this hotel or can we do better elsewhere.

I haven't stayed at this hotel, but have stayed at others on Via Nationale within a block of the Artemide. It's not an ideal location, but it's not bad. On the plus side, if you are arriving into the city or departing by train, you'll be within about five or six blocks of the station (Termini). You may be able to find a place for the same amount in the dead center (the area between Piazza Navona, Campo dei Firoi and the Pantheon), but it will take work to do so.

Sorry for crashing your thread but we have never been to Rome and do not want to make the wrong choice in hotels for our 4 day after cruise stay so what are your opinions on the Artemide hotel gets great reviews on tripadvisor, and is it as close to the sites as it says on there website no more than 20 min walk to most places. Is the price of 187 euros a night resonable for this hotel or can we do better elsewhere. This is why I love cruise critic you can get so much first hand knowledge.

Thank you

Brent

First of all, please let us know when you are going. There is a definate high and low season in Rome ...... prices can vary GREATLY from one to the other.

For instance we stayed Albergo del Senato both pre and post cruise last trip. Our pre cruise stay was May 3rd (low season) and our post cruise stay was May 16 (high season) and the price was much higher !!!!

Also, for a 4 day stay, have you considered staying in a small apt instead of a hotel ? There are tons and tons of them ......all areas and all prices. With most you would get at least a kitchenette and more space. The kitchenette would allow you some leeway in eating ALL your meals out - which can get quite expensive in Rome ! Try rentalinrome.com for an idea.

I would not stay in Civitavecchia unless I absolutely had no other choice.

You list too many hotels to compare, but Albergo del Senato is a perennial favorite on this board (including myself) and receives excellent reviews elsewhere.

It really depends on what time you arrive at the airport. if it is mid morning then Civitavecchia is a very good option. You can go to the hotel, walk around town, have dinner and then around noon the next day head to the port and your ship.

We stayed at hotel San Giorgio in Civitavecchia. It is a very nice hotel and a great restaurant plus has a wine cellar so you can buy a couple bottles to take onboard. http://www.sangiorgiohotel.biz/en/index.htm

Thank you

Brent

There are literally a thousand hotels in Rome and it all depends what you want our of your Roman experience. there are hotels that are just like home, there are new places and there are old places.

For my Wife and I, we like to stay in a place that gives us the Italian experience and we feel we cannot get that in a large establishment. We stayed at a little place on Piazza Campo Di Fiori. Loved it, it has made some very lovely memories for us. It is in the center and you can easily walk to everything. http://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/inglese/hotel.htm

Thank you

Brent

We stayed at Hotel Artemide last summer. It is a lovely hotel with a wonderful breakfast included. Our room was nice and quiet even though it is located on Via Nationale, a busy street. It is about a 10 minute walk to Termini. Trevi Fountain was about 10 minutes away, too. There is a market across the street, with a deli, and that was convenient, as well.

I would certainly stay there again, and have recommended it to our friends who will be there this summer.

Lots of people like Albergo del Senato, so next time I am in Rome, I may try that hotel.

It really depends on what time you arrive at the airport. if it is mid morning then Civitavecchia is a very good option. You can go to the hotel, walk around town, have dinner and then around noon the next day head to the port and your ship.

I don't see why someone would want to choose Civitavecchia rather than Rome simply due to arrival time. Almost all flights direct from US arrive mid-morning in Rome. I would spend that time enjoying what Rome has to offer. Civitavecchia is only an hour away, not really a lot of benefit of being that much closer to the ship, IMO, and Civitavecchia (no offense to those who happen to like it) is a small Italian town without a lot of charm. Rome is one of the premiere cities of the world.

I don't see why someone would want to choose Civitavecchia rather than Rome simply due to arrival time. Almost all flights direct from US arrive mid-morning in Rome. I would spend that time enjoying what Rome has to offer. Civitavecchia is only an hour away, not really a lot of benefit of being that much closer to the ship, IMO, and Civitavecchia (no offense to those who happen to like it) is a small Italian town without a lot of charm. Rome is one of the premiere cities of the world.

Ease up Cynthia, It was a question asked and I chose to answer both parts. I also responded with a hotel in Rome. In fact, the OP said she would prefer to stay in Civitavecchia.

Options are nice to know and it is even nicer without being made to feel like a loser because you may choose something you don't agree with?

Fact is, if the flight arrives mid day, the wait for luggage at FCO and then on to whatever location you choose can be 2 PM or later arriving at the hotel. You could be tired and then your "day" in Rome easily becomes one evening. If budget is an issue, the cost of the trip to Rome and then another trip the next morning can be expensive. If you decide to save and take a train, (although they said they did not want to), perhaps you have a lot of luggage and that can be a burden, carrying the bags up and down stairs at the train station and storing it in the train, taxi from there to the hotel and then to the port? Limo/taxi from FCO to Rome, 60 euros and from Rome to Port 120 euros (tip not included).

We have stayed in both.

Rome, beyond a shadow of a doubt is the preferred place but, a hotel in Civitavecchia where they can crash after your all night flight, take their 3 year old to the beach, have good nights rest and then on the ship may sound good to some folks...maybe?

One evening in Rome may not be worth anything especially when you have a little one to consider...maybe? Options and choices are nice and I hope I have provided some.

Ease up Cynthia, It was a question asked and I chose to answer both parts. I also responded with a hotel in Rome. In fact, the OP said she would prefer to stay in Civitavecchia.

Options are nice to know and it is even nicer without being made to feel like a loser because you may choose something you don't agree with?

Fact is, if the flight arrives mid day, the wait for luggage at FCO and then on to whatever location you choose can be 2 PM or later arriving at the hotel. You could be tired and then your "day" in Rome easily becomes one evening. If budget is an issue, the cost of the trip to Rome and then another trip the next morning can be expensive. If you decide to save and take a train, (although they said they did not want to), perhaps you have a lot of luggage and that can be a burden, carrying the bags up and down stairs at the train station and storing it in the train, taxi from there to the hotel and then to the port? Limo/taxi from FCO to Rome, 60 euros and from Rome to Port 120 euros (tip not included).

We have stayed in both.

Rome, beyond a shadow of a doubt is the preferred place but, a hotel in Civitavecchia where they can crash after your all night flight, take their 3 year old to the beach, have good nights rest and then on the ship may sound good to some folks...maybe?

One evening in Rome may not be worth anything especially when you have a little one to consider...maybe? Options and choices are nice and I hope I have provided some.

I didn't mean to stir you up. I still personally can't understand why someone would choose Civitavecchia over Rome, though I understand that people do. :rolleyes:

I have travelled to Rome with a young child and have never had issue finding something to do there, even if it's just seeing a small face light up with wonder when seeing Trevi Fountain for the first time at dusk. To me there's nothing in Civitavecchia to compare with that.

The reason I just wanted to be clear in my earlier post is for people who haven't been there before -- some may think Civitavecchia is a sort of charming little Italian town. It really isn't. It's okay as towns go, but there's nothing at all special about it. It's sort of like going to New York and staying in Yonkers.

And the beach, IIRC, isn't exactly young child friendly in Civi, either.....it's pretty rocky. Or perhaps there's a different beach I haven't encountered....

I didn't mean to stir you up. I still personally can't understand why someone would choose Civitavecchia over Rome, though I understand that people do. :rolleyes:

I have travelled to Rome with a young child and have never had issue finding something to do there, even if it's just seeing a small face light up with wonder when seeing Trevi Fountain for the first time at dusk. To me there's nothing in Civitavecchia to compare with that.

The reason I just wanted to be clear in my earlier post is for people who haven't been there before -- some may think Civitavecchia is a sort of charming little Italian town. It really isn't. It's okay as towns go, but there's nothing at all special about it. It's sort of like going to New York and staying in Yonkers.

And the beach, IIRC, isn't exactly young child friendly in Civi, either.....it's pretty rocky. Or perhaps there's a different beach I haven't encountered....

I apologize, I did not mean for the tone of my post to be rude.

I am certainly not selecting Civitavecchia over Rome either, but, with the info the OP provided, the time they have, a small child, not wanting to use the train etc, Civitavecchia is a viable option.

It's not like you can drop your child off at a babysitter after a long flight or that you can drag them all over Rome? The child gets tired and must rest so, there you are, in a hotel room? I have traveled with my children to places but stayed for a bit longer than a few daylight hours. Also, remember that their holiday is not to Rome at all, but a cruise.

For sure they are not the same, but just being in Rome 1/2 day, with considerable effort and expense, is not exactly "being in" or "seeing" Rome by any stretch of the imagination.

Lastly, the beach in front of the hotel we stayed was sandy enough to enjoy.

Again, sorry if I offended you. :o

First of all, please let us know when you are going. There is a definate high and low season in Rome ...... prices can vary GREATLY from one to the other.

For instance we stayed Albergo del Senato both pre and post cruise last trip. Our pre cruise stay was May 3rd (low season) and our post cruise stay was May 16 (high season) and the price was much higher !!!!

Also, for a 4 day stay, have you considered staying in a small apt instead of a hotel ? There are tons and tons of them ......all areas and all prices. With most you would get at least a kitchenette and more space. The kitchenette would allow you some leeway in eating ALL your meals out - which can get quite expensive in Rome ! Try rentalinrome.com for an idea.

Texan cruiser - rental in rome seemed to have some great apartments. Have you got first hand experience of the company?

Unfortunately no..... have only been able to add on 2 nights pre or post cruise since we usually do 10 or 11 night cruises...... just makes it too long for dh to be away from his office :( For 2 nights it's not really worth it to rent an apt..... but I plan on a land trip to Italy soon - perhaps then.

But.....have read posts from those who have used this company. Good reviews. We have rented condos/apts before (not in Rome) but used cyberrentals.com and have been happy with them.

We like having a kitchen for coffee and danish in the morning...... and some lunches in too...... almost always we go out for dinner tho. I AM on vacation ;)

Archived