Mariner program unpublished perks?

TeamBozo

;) There is such a thing as Five Star Mariner. They are a select group of people with something like 1200 or more days. I may have the number wrong.

We have sailed several times with a couple who are five star. :)

someone posted a while ago that the 5 star day number is 1400 -- have no idea how hal came up with that number

HI all,

Just got off the Oosterdam on Sat. Feb.12. I was invited to the wrapup with the Hotel Manager, CD etc. Douglas Hernandez the HM was asked about this and he said they are always monitoring peoples remarks, but also the perks of other cruiselines. He said they are in particular looking at Royal Caribbean's program and thinks that better things are to come--nothing about the number of days however.

I would like to add my congratulations to Jon and Donna(GmaPyjama)--Zaandam cruisemates --on reaching 4 stars.

Sherlyn

I was criticized widely for saying this some months ago. You may recall that conversation as many of us participated. I still think that way regardless all the negativity thrown at me.

We are still paying for what we also get for free. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter though because as there are more 4 Star Mariners rapidly reaching that level, there is no such thing as priority tendering etc. The lines are getting long........ ;)

Sorry Sail, I didn't mean to start an issue :) JMO :)

This is in response to the comments that HAL set the bar too low on 4 star status. At 60, I now have 95 days with HAL.

When I worked for others, I got 2 weeks off a year. Now, as an independent business woman, taking 3 weeks a year is hard to arrange.

The only working folks I know in the US (need to make exception for Europeans, Australians, etc.) who have two months a year plus Christmas, Spring Break, etc., are teachers and professors.

If one were to take one 7 day cruise a year, it would take 28 years to get to 200 days. It takes 14 years with one 14 day cruise per year.

It will only be after 34+ years since first cruising with HAL that I will be at 200 days, and that assumes one 14 day cruise per year for the next 7 years.

Those of you who have 700+ days, good for you. Many of us will never get to that status.

These are not sour grapes. Just trying to help you understand that you may have a group of friends with numbers in the stratosphere, but few of us will achieve that. And we appreciate HAL setting the levels as they have.

Miriam

Miriam -A quick reply to your message; for one- you expressed yourself VERY well/clearly -and I was THERE once myself [ and my husband as well] And maybe THAT was why I wrote as I did; ALL perks are cake. One of the emotions I felt 20 years ago when I was where YOU are -was simple exhaustion. [ most women call it 'multitasking' :)] but that is also why I appreciate the generosity of a business setting out "perks" at ANY level [ yes- I know; credit cards, banks and restaurants ALL do it!]

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is EASY for me now- retired and long cruises - but I UNDERSTAND working and exhaustion and "YOU did GOOD!!!!" And the assurance that soon -when you are DOING what I'm doing - please remember me! Fondly! Anne

We love the laundry package as we can take less clothes - but don't care about the rest - well, not having to stand in line before boarding is a definite benefit for DH who can't stand for long.

By the time we finish our next cruise we will have close to 400 but we never think about accumulating more days with HAL because the benefits are the same no matter how many more we have.

When you think about how much money it costs to accumulate that many days, a free side tour would be nice and probably wouldn't cost HAL anything as a lot of buses aren't full - or free internet time would be great too. I am not holding my breath though ;)

This is in response to the comments that HAL set the bar too low on 4 star status. At 60, I now have 95 days with HAL.

When I worked for others, I got 2 weeks off a year. Now, as an independent business woman, taking 3 weeks a year is hard to arrange.

The only working folks I know in the US (need to make exception for Europeans, Australians, etc.) who have two months a year plus Christmas, Spring Break, etc., are teachers and professors.

If one were to take one 7 day cruise a year, it would take 28 years to get to 200 days. It takes 14 years with one 14 day cruise per year.

It will only be after 34+ years since first cruising with HAL that I will be at 200 days, and that assumes one 14 day cruise per year for the next 7 years.

Those of you who have 700+ days, good for you. Many of us will never get to that status.

These are not sour grapes. Just trying to help you understand that you may have a group of friends with numbers in the stratosphere, but few of us will achieve that. And we appreciate HAL setting the levels as they have.

Miriam

i don't take your comment as sour grapes

until we retired we were only able to cruise once a year -- and sometimes not even that -- even though both of us had senority where we worked it was still hard many years to get vacation time together

i envy those who can take time off from work without pay just to cruise -- if either of us had done that we would have been fired and told that there is someone else waiting in line who wants your job

Miriam

Miriam

What HAL seems to be trying to do is set a balance between the once a year cruisers and the long-term cruisers.

HAL has set the first level at which there are real, tangible benefits at the 3 star level. This would seem to be a reasonable level from the loyalty point of view.

However, there are quite a few HAL loyalists who are on the way to 300, 400, 500 and above, and HAL needs to, or at least should want to, keep them in the fold, as well. Setting the top level as low as 200 for these long-time HAL loyalists is a bit anticlimatic: all dressed up and no where to go!

Keeping the medallions alongside the Star program is a way of acknowledging the higher level Mariners, while having something in the loyalty program for the "beginners" on their way up.

I think it works well, although I would like to see the medallion levels acknowledged with their own perks, or alternately a five star level. After the 200 level, it is a long way to eternity.

DH and I are currently 2 star Mariners, but will be 3star after our March 14 day. I have read all of the posts here and agree that the loyalty program needs a face lift! One change should be that if a 4 Star Mariner books a suite, they should be able to select optional benefits, free Internet, a free excursion, free Pinnacle Dinner, or some other perk. They clearly need to give these very loyal cruisers something in return for them paying for many of the Mariner benefits. At some point, a free 7 day cruise for those with say, 500 days does not seem extravagant....I will never probably get to that level, so I am not seeking to feather my own nest in making these suggestions, just feel that the level of loyalty shown to HAL by so many repeat customers should be properly "appreciated"!

DH and I are currently 2 star Mariners, but will be 3star after our March 14 day. I have read all of the posts here and agree that the loyalty program needs a face lift! One change should be that if a 4 Star Mariner books a suite, they should be able to select optional benefits, free Internet, a free excursion, free Pinnacle Dinner, or some other perk. They clearly need to give these very loyal cruisers something in return for them paying for many of the Mariner benefits. At some point, a free 7 day cruise for those with say, 500 days does not seem extravagant....I will never probably get to that level, so I am not seeking to feather my own nest in making these suggestions, just feel that the level of loyalty shown to HAL by so many repeat customers should be properly "appreciated"!

I think it may be a little early in the game to revamp the new Mariner program. After all, the latest incarnation is only a year and a half old, I believe, and it did increase the benefits from basically "zip" to some decent perks.

The 4 star/suite problem is something HAL knowingly chose to go ahead with, as strange as it seems. You have a good idea from a passengers point of view, but somehow I doubt that HAL really wants to start giving things away!

Congratulations on your coming 3 star level!

silvertogold:

Miriam

What HAL seems to be trying to do is set a balance between the once a year cruisers and the long-term cruisers.

HAL has set the first level at which there are real, tangible benefits at the 3 star level. This would seem to be a reasonable level from the loyalty point of view.

However, there are quite a few HAL loyalists who are on the way to 300, 400, 500 and above, and HAL needs to, or at least should want to, keep them in the fold, as well. Setting the top level as low as 200 for these long-time HAL loyalists is a bit anticlimatic: all dressed up and no where to go!

Keeping the medallions alongside the Star program is a way of acknowledging the higher level Mariners, while having something in the loyalty program for the "beginners" on their way up.

I think it works well, although I would like to see the medallion levels acknowledged with their own perks, or alternately a five star level. After the 200 level, it is a long way to eternity.

You said that so well.

Thank you.

I was criticized widely for saying this some months ago. You may recall that conversation as many of us participated. I still think that way regardless all the negativity thrown at me.

We are still paying for what we also get for free. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter though because as there are more 4 Star Mariners rapidly reaching that level, there is no such thing as priority tendering etc. The lines are getting long........ ;)

Sail,

I agreed with you then, and I agree with you now. It is exactly as you state;)

Internet help would be nice after 200 days. Many of the cruise lines are doing it.

Princess (6-15 cruises):

7 day cruise 150 free minutes $75 value

8-20 250 free minutes $100 value

21+ 500 free minutes $200 value

Celebrity (5-9 cruises) 25% discount on packages

(10 cruises) 90 free minutes

Hope I have this one right .. it's recently been changed

RCCL (5 cruises) $7.50 credit, 15% discount on packages

(10 cruises) 90 free minutes

Archived