Paris via HAL?

rin1

Princess stops there, as does RCI. I'm just find HAL's site to be a bit unsearchable. It lists the port, but when you click to figure out which ships sails there and when it lists every cruise HAL makes.

Another option to consider (we are doing this in June) is taking a crusie out of Rotterdam or Amsterdam. What we are doing is flying into Paris for four days and than taking the train to Rotterdam, about a 2.5 hour train ride on the day of the cruise.

Kirk

We did a 10-day Eurodam last year from Rome to Dover that stopped at Le Havre. Don't know if it's on their schedule this year.
It looks like this year the Med-to-Dover cruises are stopping in Cherbourg.

taxmantoo: you edited as I posted. :)

Definitely do Paris as a pre or post cruise stop. There is simply too much to see. We did it quite coincidentally after a Med Cruise last year. Had a great time just shopping and dining like regular Parisians. We had been there very extensively a couple years ago and had been to most of the major attractions so we just took it easy. We did the Siene river cruise the last night from Ponte Noef. A really memorable experience seeing the lights of Paris at night. That is something no cruise stop would allow you to do.

If you go after a cruise, remember that the closest airport to Paris is Orly. If you can get a flight to that airport, a taxi to the heart of town is very quick, easy, and cheaper than Charles de Gaule where you will leave out of to go back to the States.

Mark

I've done a few searches and I can't find anything on the boards or HAL's website. Does HAL go to one of the ports that are close to Paris? Which itineraries might include this port?

You really should see Paris pre- or post-cruise. I remember looking at one shore excursion HAL offered in LeHavre that would take you to Paris. I think it gave you only 2 hours in Paris before you had to head back to the ship! :eek: When I looked at trying to get there on our own, it wouldn't have given us any more time there, either.

Paris is my favorite city in the world, we'll be going there this fall pre-cruise, as we've done before, or separate land trips just to Paris. It really deserves much more time than a port call would provide. :)

Thank you so much for the extremely helpful (and prompt!) responses! I've gotta break my mom's heart a bit with this one, but with a Mediterranean itinerary she'll have to return to Paris another time.

Thank you so much for the extremely helpful (and prompt!) responses! I've gotta break my mom's heart a bit with this one, but with a Mediterranean itinerary she'll have to return to Paris another time.

Which port will the cruise start from? Would it be possible for her to visit Paris before or after the cruise, by flying/taking the train between cities? Our cruise will depart from Rome. We plan to fly to Paris first, spend time there and then fly to Rome for the cruise.

We don't want to break your Mom's heart! :D

Easyjet can be really cheap, but remember to buy passage for ALL your luggage except one carry-on a piece online when you buy the ticket. That's ONE carry-on. We learned the hard way. It can be as cheap as Southwest Airlines is here even with the cost of luggage. The question is do you have the time? There are PLENTY of planes to and from Paris and you can do an open jaw ticket with most airlines. Meaning you don't have to go and come from Europe in the same city. If time is not a factor, at least consider it. It will be the cheapest way you will ever be able to get there by tying it to another trip. Check out Rick Steves' book on Paris for moderate hotels. He is an authority on all that you need to know on Paris.

Mark

Archived