Wanting different experience

robinsnest64

My husband and I took our 1st cruise in Sept. on the Princess Emerald, and although we enjoyed it we would like to try a different cruise line next trip. We liked the overall Princess experience and do not like the idea of one of the massive ships. We are in our mid 40's, want so night life but not a party ship, and our kids are grown. Suggestions please

Since you enjoyed Princess, you might like Celebrity, on their Millennium class ships, which are a bit smaller. Also the Holland America ships offer a very similar product although their age demographic might be a bit older (you didn't state where you fall...). EM

If you are talking about the mass market lines, all are more alike than different so you may not get anything really different going on another line.;) We've sailed four lines and can't say anyone was all that much different than the other. NCL has no traditional seating at all which is the only thing that sticks out to me. Not sure what you are really looking for.

We are close in age (children are 22/24) and have sailed NCL, Princess and Celebrity. When I talk about formality it also has to do with the feel of the ship and how the staff is trained to act. Our excursions are usually snorkeling, ATV'ing, Hiking. IMO the food quality was basically the same on all, you are eating good convention food.

NCL is very informal (no dress codes), no Traditional Seating, entertainment pretty good, shows not so good, good venues. Good Ship Excursions. Not to much going on on sea day.

Princess is a little more formal (formal night needed long sleeve collared shirt, khaki pants), have both types of dinner seating, actually thought entertainment was overall the best here. On CB venues are way too tight though. Good Ship Excursions, decent stuff to do on sea day.

Celebrity is very formal (formal night was dark suits/long dresses), have both types of dinner seating, production shows were actually very good, other entertainment so-so, venues are very nice. So-So Ship Excursions. Celebrity had the most choices of things to do on the sea day and they were good.

I personally will sail any of these lines depending on itinerary and price. I would put Celebrity a little lower on the list because the formality was for me just a little over the top.

Thank you so much for your response, it helped put the top 4 into perspective. I too am afraid Celebrity would be a little formal for our taste, we had friends that went that said that also. I loved Princess and just not interested in the huge new ships at all. Thanks again for your help! Happy Cruising!

For something "completly" different, take a look at Star Clipper. They have three modern sailing vessels in the 300-500 foot range. They call at smaller ports, and have less than 250 people on board.

They offer a relaxed environment, all the time -- think "resort casual", with no shorts in the dining room at night. Also, there will be few, if any, children.

Aloha,

John

Archived