NCL Sun review....Another use for duct tape!

lah66

Wouldn't you know that we forgot our duct tape? We just got back from our Eastern sail on the Sun! We had 2 chimney's for neighbors...and their smoke poured through our connecting door. It was almost like they were sitting in our room with us! Sun staff came and duct taped the connecting door and left us an air purifier! It really helped a lot but our thoughts of sleeping with the balcony door (aft balcony) were immediately dashed. Everytime we opened our balcony door, all the smoky smell from the hallway was sucked into our room. I will admit we are awful smoke snobs (ex-smokers)..but to pay good money for an aft balcony and then to be continually compromised by our neighbors smoking. Why do they not have non-smoking ships or at least non-smoking cabins?

All in all the cruise was great. The passengers were very old..70's and 80's...maybe only 10 kids on board! Breakfasts were good (though the Sun mueslix is not the same mueslix on the POA), lunches were almost mediocre, dinners ok...Moderno was great, Teppanaki was great. Juggler was good, dropped a lot...Elvy the singer was outrageously loud...the NCl singers/dancers were very good...better than most cruise ship groups. Weather was cold on just 2 of the days...The ports of St. Thomas and St. Maarten were wonderful but busy. We got a great deal on a wedding ring for my husband at Cardows in St. Thomas. Snorkeling at Sapphire Beach was great. Bernards tour in St. Maarten was a great time...lots of fun and lots of drinks! Walking tour in Nassau was very nice, Queens staircase was amazing! I wish I had brought my own blow dryer....the Sun has really old dryers...whereas the Jewel and POA have great dryers.

Anybody have any questions I can answer? So sad it is over so soon!

Wouldn't you know that we forgot our duct tape? We just got back from our Eastern sail on the Sun! We had 2 chimney's for neighbors...and their smoke poured through our connecting door. It was almost like they were sitting in our room with us! Sun staff came and duct taped the connecting door and left us an air purifier! It really helped a lot but our thoughts of sleeping with the balcony door (aft balcony) were immediately dashed. Everytime we opened our balcony door, all the smoky smell from the hallway was sucked into our room. I will admit we are awful smoke snobs (ex-smokers)..but to pay good money for an aft balcony and then to be continually compromised by our neighbors smoking. Why do they not have non-smoking ships or at least non-smoking cabins?

All in all the cruise was great. The passengers were very old..70's and 80's...maybe only 10 kids on board! Breakfasts were good (though the Sun mueslix is not the same mueslix on the POA), lunches were almost mediocre, dinners ok...Moderno was great, Teppanaki was great. Juggler was good, dropped a lot...Elvy the singer was outrageously loud...the NCl singers/dancers were very good...better than most cruise ship groups. Weather was cold on just 2 of the days...The ports of St. Thomas and St. Maarten were wonderful but busy. We got a great deal on a wedding ring for my husband at Cardows in St. Thomas. Snorkeling at Sapphire Beach was great. Bernards tour in St. Maarten was a great time...lots of fun and lots of drinks! Walking tour in Nassau was very nice, Queens staircase was amazing! I wish I had brought my own blow dryer....the Sun has really old dryers...whereas the Jewel and POA have great dryers.

We leave next weekend so I would love to see any pictures of the ship you have and tell us more about St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I would like to know more about Moderno.

Glad you had a good cruise. The smoking issue is a "Hot Button", and most cruise lines are starting to restrict smoking in various ways. I believe if we are around long enough, smoking will diminish and cease to be a major problem. That doesn't help in the short run, but hopefully the health issues associated with smoking will have an impact.

You mean tighter regulation, or something more darwinian? ;)
The later was my first impression too, Mike.

More like education, but the others are possibilities also.

I wish they would restrict smoking to specific areas on the ship and enforce them. No smoking in the cabin or balcony. As for education, I know PhD's who are smokers. I could not imagine any education that would deter people who smoke from smoking. God knows many have enough real examples in their live of how drug use can destroy lives yet they travel that path anyway and are surprised when it gets out of control. It's sad and annoying.

OP, I'm glad that you had a great cruise. I have my first balcony booked for the fall and I hope I don't get neighbors like this or worst.

The later was my first impression too, Mike.

I wish they would restrict smoking to specific areas on the ship and enforce them. No smoking in the cabin or balcony. As for education, I know PhD's who are smokers. I could not imagine any education that would deter people who smoke from smoking. God knows many have enough real examples in their live of how drug use can destroy lives yet they travel that path anyway and are surprised when it gets out of control. It's sad and annoying.

OP, I'm glad that you had a great cruise. I have my first balcony booked for the fall and I hope I don't get neighbors like this or worst.

I don't think you can teach smokers not to smoke, but as more and more information about the health hazard of smoking becomes available to younger people, fewer will take up the habit (hopefully).

I have seen many changes in the social acceptability of smoking over the years, and certainly more to come !!

My mother is a reformed smoker 30+ years. She lives in an apt. A new guy moved in and his apt. is right off the elevators. He chain smokes. The hall reeks. My mother says, it's not against the rules for him to smoke, so I will look past it, it's his problem. She says, it could be worse, she could still be smoking.

Point is, NCL allows smoking. But I choose NCL. So do smokers. Now if I had my wish, I would like one side of the ship to be smoking and the other non smoking. But I know that's probably a pipedeream.

My mother is a reformed smoker 30+ years. She lives in an apt. A new guy moved in and his apt. is right off the elevators. He chain smokes. The hall reeks. My mother says, it's not against the rules for him to smoke, so I will look past it, it's his problem. She says, it could be worse, she could still be smoking.

Point is, NCL allows smoking. But I choose NCL. So do smokers. Now if I had my wish, I would like one side of the ship to be smoking and the other non smoking. But I know that's probably a pipedeream.

Hmm...

I wonder though. Someone like me, whose lungs close up when they get around smoke (I have an inhaler, and as long as I stay several feet away, I'm good, but like smelling it all down the hall like y'all are talking, it's a medical thing) Not, that I've had that prob, but just wondering, cuz it could mean life or death...

Thanks for the review, sorry about the smoke stacks, that is the main reason we no longer get balconies.

Kirk

We have also had this situation twice. The last time we had a connecting door also (we had a guarantee balcony reservation and were assigned a BA, but...), so I know all about trying to use duct tape to seal up the gap! But the bigger problem for us was the balcony door itself which we had to carefully keep closed or else the smoke drifted into our cabin making me cough. To make matters worse that same cabin with the smokers had a little dog (apparently allowed onboard as a service animal) that was barking much of the time. We still had a great cruise, just couldn't stay in our cabin or use our balcony as much as we had planned, so that was disappointing (and yes, we did tactfully speak to our next door neighbors once about it and they were less than accomodating and even started speaking back to us in French (although I think they understood exactly what we were saying!:confused:) I also spoke to the front desk and they sent someone up to retape the "gap" but had no place to move us as it was a full sailing.

Edited by lambs2

When I hear situations like yours, I'm glad that my first sailing was on the Carnival Paradise which at the time was smoke free. They made announcements on a regular basis stating that if passengers are caught with cigarettes you will be put off the ship at the next port.

Hmmm!! What room were you in?? Quite possible it was us that were the so called "chimneys, smoke stacks etc."

The smoke thing would have bothered me too as I get asthma attacks from too much smoke. However, I like the fact that your room steward provided a air purifier for you. Unfortunately, most smokers are oblivious to those around them. I wouldn't have let this ruin my cruise, however, I would have been annoyed at those chain smokers! :)