Dolphin or Emerald Mini Suite?

Deb in Markham

Hi,

You are all so helpful on this site! We're traveling on the Sapphire to Hawaii in October in celebration of my mom's 75th birthday. While we've cruised before, we've never cruised on Princess.

Which mini-suite location do you prefer and why? Dolphin or Emerald

Thanks in advance. I've learned so much on this board--it's really invaluable.

Hi,

You are all so helpful on this site! We're traveling on the Sapphire to Hawaii in October in celebration of my mom's 75th birthday. While we've cruised before, we've never cruised on Princess.

We prefer the mini's on the emerald Deck since they are covered so you are protected from rain and too much sun, also they are at the rear of the Ship and tend to be quieter.

All dolphin deck mini's are 100% uncovered.

Whatever you choose,enjoy!

Aloha,

Bev

We prefer the mini's on the emerald Deck since they are covered so you are protected from rain and too much sun, also they are at the rear of the Ship and tend to be quieter.

All dolphin deck mini's are 100% uncovered.

Whatever you choose,enjoy!

Aloha,

Bev

Thanks! I like the idea of the protection--my mom is very sensitive to the sun, so this sounds like the way to go.

AD mini-suite on Emerald because the balcony is covered and you're protected from sun and rain, and because they are private and quiet. The mini's on Dolphin deck are completely uncovered, open to sun and weather and not private as anyone on any balcony above can look down and see the balcony. The cabins themselves are exactly the same; the difference is the balcony, weather protection and privacy.

Most women, and men, my age stay out of the sun because of years of sun exposure. I don't know about your Mom but I get pre-cancerous spots that have to be burned off on a regular basisis.

AD mini-suite on Emerald because the balcony is covered and you're protected from sun and rain, and because they are private and quiet. The mini's on Dolphin deck are completely uncovered, open to sun and weather and not private as anyone on any balcony above can look down and see the balcony. The cabins themselves are exactly the same; the difference is the balcony, weather protection and privacy.

Most women, and men, my age stay out of the sun because of years of sun exposure. I don't know about your Mom but I get pre-cancerous spots that have to be burned off on a regular basisis.

I like the idea of the privacy and quiet--we're cruising to relax, so these balconies sound like just the thing!

My mom suffers from vitiligo, so has to wear sun block, clothing, and even then stay out of the direct sun as much as possible. I too burn easily and take it easy in the sun.

What were we thinking when we were teenagers laying on the beach in sunny SoCal lathering ourselves with cocoa butter and baby oil????! :confused: OK, in all fairness, we didn't really know any better, but it is scary thinking about the things we did. But then we were all driving around in cars without seat belts too!

We stayed in the Emerald Deck mini, last one down on starboard on the Grand. It has an extra large wrap balcony and is absolutly wonderful! No noise from Club Fusion. Never stayed on Dolphin but wouldn't consider it after staying on Emerald deck.

I found out only last week that the Dolphin deck cabins did not have a covered balcony for my mom's and my Alaska cruise on Sapphire in Sept. After reading posts on CC, I kept thinking about rain, wind, sun and lack of privacy being a problem for us. My mom has vittaligo, too! I called the company I booked the Princess cruise with, and as luck would have it, we were able to change us from a Dolphin mini to an Aft Emerald mini. I am so glad I made that call!

I found out only last week that the Dolphin deck cabins did not have a covered balcony for my mom's and my Alaska cruise on Sapphire in Sept. After reading posts on CC, I kept thinking about rain, wind, sun and lack of privacy being a problem for us. My mom has vittaligo, too! I called the company I booked the Princess cruise with, and as luck would have it, we were able to change us from a Dolphin mini to an Aft Emerald mini. I am so glad I made that call!
Make SURE you have your booking marked "No Upgrade"! Princess could "upgrade" you to a Dolphin deck mini.

I am so dissapointed at our TA as she never told us about the Dolphin not being covered. Now that I know the difference we are unable to change. Is this mini really all that bad. I also do not like being out in the sun and wonder if we made a mistake.

Thank for all of the info

Hi,

just last week i booked on the Golden to Hawaii and im also taking my parents....we booked the mini on the starboard side E729 and i think the emerald deck is the way to go.....try to get the E731(which is the same as mine with the wrap around balcony) and if thats taken go for E728...n if both are taken stay on that deck.....its know to be well known

I am so dissapointed at our TA as she never told us about the Dolphin not being covered. Now that I know the difference we are unable to change. Is this mini really all that bad. I also do not like being out in the sun and wonder if we made a mistake.

The cabin is fine, and the balcony will be in some shade part of the day, depending on the ship's direction. I had a Dolphin deck balcony on my Crown cruise in September and while I enjoyed having the extra space, rarely used the balcony. Of course, part of that was due to gales and cold weather for most of the cruise but if the weather had been nice, I don't think I would have used it much anyway.

This mini is NOT "all that bad" by any means!! You will be on an entire deck of minis that people love (and book over and over again!) You will have a great balcony that is very "connected" with the ocean; you may have just as much shade as you do sun (depending on the sun's angle and the ship's direction); and you will have a beautiful view of the moon and stars from your balcony at night. Please do NOT fret!

We LOVE the Emerald deck mini's cat AD. We love the location and the fact that they are covered. Yes we like our privacy, but better yet, the weather is unpredictable and having a covered balcony means we can use it rain or shine. We've used our balcony during amazing storms, full of lightening, it was honestly some of the best entertainment at sea! Our entire 14 day Caribbean cruise had a storm like that every night, and every night we'd order a pot of coffee or tea, and sit out on the balcony to watch mother nature at her best. Lightening is just mezmorizing when you are out to sea with no artificial light to spoil it.

Also we enjoy taking our coffee out on to the balcony in the morning in our jammies. Number one, no one should be subjected to me in tinkerbell pj's THAT early in the morning and two, the last thing I want is the sun shining in my face right after I wake up, an Emerald deck mini takes care of all of that. We sail to Hawaii on the Sapphire in 4 days, and have also, again, reserved an AD Mini, cabin E731. If you can book E731 or E730, TAKE IT! These two last mini's have extended balconies with a partial wake view, excellant for whale watching and dining on your balcony.

Whichever you choose, you're sure to have a great time! The Sapphire is a wonderful ship!

Just wanted to clarify the last two mini's on the sapphire are E728 (not e 730 - that is the vista suite) and E 731. I jsut upgraded to E728 and had a breakdown when I read in here that the end even number was e 730. It is on other ships - but not on the sapphire.

We've only sailed in the Dolphin mini, but have an Emerald mini booked for our next 2 cruises. I love the space in a mini, and the full sized tub as well. Those will be yours no matter which one you choose.

I did enjoy our Dolphin mini but I'm not a sun worshipper, and I didn't like using my balcony as much as I did when we had covered balconies in the past. I'm very much looking forward to the Emerald comparison.

Just wanted to clarify the last two mini's on the sapphire are E728 (not e 730 - that is the vista suite) and E 731. I jsut upgraded to E728 and had a breakdown when I read in here that the end even number was e 730. It is on other ships - but not on the sapphire.

On the Grand, Golden and Star the aft "wrap around" balcony cabins are E728 & E729, on the Sapphire and Diamond they are E728 & E731 and on the Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby they are E730 and E731. Go Figure :confused:

Thanks! My mistake, I get them confused sometimes :rolleyes: Okay, all the time.

From the responses, it seems the AD Mini's are much more coveted than I had previously thought! Good to see so many other cruisers enjoy these rooms as much s we do!

we love the emerald deck mini's cat ad. We love the location and the fact that they are covered. Yes we like our privacy, but better yet, the weather is unpredictable and having a covered balcony means we can use it rain or shine. We've used our balcony during amazing storms, full of lightening, it was honestly some of the best entertainment at sea! Our entire 14 day caribbean cruise had a storm like that every night, and every night we'd order a pot of coffee or tea, and sit out on the balcony to watch mother nature at her best. Lightening is just mezmorizing when you are out to sea with no artificial light to spoil it.

Also we enjoy taking our coffee out on to the balcony in the morning in our jammies. Number one, no one should be subjected to me in tinkerbell pj's that early in the morning and two, the last thing i want is the sun shining in my face right after i wake up, an emerald deck mini takes care of all of that. We sail to hawaii on the sapphire in 4 days, and have also, again, reserved an ad mini, cabin e731. If you can book e731 or e730, take it! These two last mini's have extended balconies with a partial wake view, excellant for whale watching and dining on your balcony.

Whichever you choose, you're sure to have a great time! The sapphire is a wonderful ship!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!;):D

:) Thank you for replying to my post as I do feel better now. We will be sailing on the ruby on Apr. 17th in cabin D231 , have never had a balcony before (only been on 4 day cruise) but am looking forward to the mini.

Even if we don't use the balcony much at least we have the extra room and looking forward to seeing the stars. Thanks again

In case you missed it you may find this discussion regarding the Dolphin mini's enjoyable....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1365119

We are going to be in a Dolphin Mini in late Mach and it made us feel better after reading a lot of the posts about how people preferred the covered mini's on the Emerald deck.

• 2 weeks later...
We're looking at booking an Emerald deck mini to Hawaii. I've read that E728 and E729 get alot of wind. Wondering about the other minis. Is any one better than the other? Any one stayed in E718 or E719?

I cant speak of the cabins you mention but Im sure our cabin on the Star in 2 weeks time will have a lot of wind especially if they have a ruby on the menu the night before LOL

We're looking at booking an Emerald deck mini to Hawaii. I've read that E728 and E729 get alot of wind. Wondering about the other minis. Is any one better than the other? Any one stayed in E718 or E719?
I've been in E725 several times on different ships and didn't notice any wind problems other than what I'd expect on a windy day. E728 and E729 on the Golden are just two doors down and the only difference is that the balcony is bigger and extended. It's covered and wind generally goes from front to back when the ship is moving so I don't think there would be appreciably more wind just feet away. Given a choice, I'd opt for E729 as it's not above the vista lounge stage so you probably wouldn't hear noise from there whereas you might in E728.

I've been in E725 several times on different ships and didn't notice any wind problems other than what I'd expect on a windy day. E728 and E729 on the Golden are just two doors down and the only difference is that the balcony is bigger and extended. It's covered and wind generally goes from front to back when the ship is moving so I don't think there would be appreciably more wind just feet away. Given a choice, I'd opt for E729 as it's not above the vista lounge stage so you probably wouldn't hear noise from there whereas you might in E728.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

Archived