Towel hogs

DrSch

I understand that that is what this post is about, I'm sorry if it seemed like I trying to change the topic. I was just trying to say that I think you can move people's things once you are sure they didn't just step out for a minute. Especially if they have been gone for hours, chances are they won't come up to you and ask for their chair back.

People aren't as human as they used to be, or as nice. Road rage becomes Cruise Rage... Towel Rage, Chair Rage.. We are joking about it in here, but really, the only logical thing to do to insure you do not have a fight is to get a Princess employee to move the stuff.. that way, the other people can't argue with you.

We were on the Crowna and Grand Princess in January. They did watch the chairs and pulled towels & books if people were saving chairs. I sat one morning and four lounge chairs had towels and stuff on them for three hours or more The people finally came and got their stuff. I told the guy thanks for saving the chairs but he did not say anything. We normally found chairs on both ships.

I understand that that is what this post is about, I'm sorry if it seemed like I trying to change the topic. I was just trying to say that I think you can move people's things once you are sure they didn't just step out for a minute. Especially if they have been gone for hours, chances are they won't come up to you and ask for their chair back.

I don't think most who do move towles hover over a chair and wait only miliseconds before moving the property. As other have said, people shouldn't be entitled to dump a paperback or a towel at 0700 and feel that the chair is theirs for the entire day.....

Bob

We had a good one occur on the Mariner of the Seas 3 months ago.

We had 8 in our group and we all sat together every day, and we really

would utilize our chairs from 9 a.m. until at least 3 p.m. Well,

on the last sea day at about 11:00 a.m. this rude woman notices one

empty chair in our group [our friend had gone to the buffet to get a

snack to bring back to our area] and demanded that chair and I told

her it was currently being occupied and that he'd just left 5 minutes ago

and would be returning. She circles around again and barks loudly

that basically that should be HER chair and I barked loudly back and

told her it's NOT HER CHAIR -- IT'S OUR chair and we've been there since

9 a.m., and if she wanted a chair so badly, then she should have gotten

up earlier to secure one. That was the end of that.

Some people have such an extreme sense of entitlement it boggles the

mind. And yes, our friend did return from the buffet within 10 minutes?

I don't think it was unreasonable to have an unoccupied chair for

15 minutes. One day we had our 8 chairs, but two left the group and

were gone for at least an hour, so we released the chairs back into

the pool. We thought maybe they'd be back in 20 but they didn't

come back and we felt funny hanging on to that many chairs, so we

made due with 6 chairs for 8 people and it worked out nicely.

We've rarely seen problems on the Sapphire Princess since so many in

CA have pools, it's probably not that big a deal, but on the east coast

cruises is where we've seen more problems with chair hogging, to be

honest. The Emerald Princess was a nightmare, but again, she holds

500 more passengers than the Grand/Golden/Sapphire/Diamond/Star.

We never could get a seat by the main pool, so we utilized our

balcony instead.

We did notice a huge problem once while traveling in December. People

seemed desperate for sunshine!

I always use the pool,sit on edge of pool and pick and watch a couple of chairs and an hour later when noone comes back i claim for myself.Never a problem so far!:)

One time in December we had gotten sandwiches from the grill and were looking around for a table (not that were free) and then deck chairs. There were a couple that had the towels and books on it, but as we had just gotten there, we weren't sure if some chair hogs were doing their trick or not. So we ended up sitting on the benches by the hot tubs. But I was watching these chairs. About 15 minutes later, a couple came by and the woman sat down. Her hubby took off again. So one of them was using their chairs. Don't know how long he was gone.

You think chair hogs are bad...

I'm now reading about table hogs who

race to reserve a table by the window

in Horizon Court before they even get

their food.

They put books or other objects on the

table to hold it while they stand in line.

Could you imagine if everyone did that?!

The chair hogs drove me to Sanctuary.

I would rather spend the $15 per day for

the week to have my own reserved chair

than deal with the hogs that get up early

in the morning, throw their towels on the

chair then go to the Horizon court for

breakfast and throw their books on a table

to reserve it before getting in line to get food.

Honestly, in Horizon court you need to send a child, friend or spouse to sit at the table while the other half of the party gets their food other wise you will be walking around for hours before you get to eat. The problem in the buffet is that they have too many large tables and not enough tables for four. There were many times that my family of four was forced to sit at a table for eight. That makes me feel like a hog.

I don't really see anything wrong with setting down your stuff on a table in this situation. We often had our mugs -- and my purse (no money, but things like sunscreen, etc.) so we would often set down our stuff at a table and then get our meal. Probably no more than five minutes to come back. And if we were at a bigger table, and someone asked to sit with us, no problem. It's so different than if we went there at 11am, set our stuff at a table, and then not return til noon. That wouldn't be fair to others.

But we found on the Golden, that if we couldn't find lots of tables available, we could usually go in one of the back rooms (there were four dining rooms in the Horizon on that ship) and find available tables there.

Personally I hate the area around the pool. It's over crowded too much foot traffic, noisy and not enough sun. I think the problem stems from the fact that there is no place to keep your belongings if you just want to use the pool and passengers are just using the chairs for storage. If I plan on going in the pool I just put my shoes and towel along the side of the pool trying to keep them where nobody will trip which isn't always an easy task. There are times that I am in the pool for over an hour so why do I need a lounge chair. When I'm done I grab my towel go to sun deck to dry off. I can always find a place to sit there and it is usually quiet and not as crowded. The bar service isn't the best but I'm not being harassed to buy a drink every 5 minutes either. I do wish Princess would come up with a place to keep your belongings while you are using the pool but I guess that would just create locker hogs.

An idea maybe would be for HAL to put hooks and cubby holes maybe for people who would like to use the pool but need a place to store there belongings.

I have always hated the fact that I had to wake up early just to go out and get a chair (and stay in it) by or near the pool on sea days. I do think signs should be posted every day in the pool area that the WORKERS will remove towels from chairs after 30 minutes of non-use, so that others can find a chair. I HAVE seen conflicts over these chairs and it isn't pretty. In todays world, we should all be friendly to each other but instead, a lot more people are brazenly confrontational and it can be scary. I will be cruising in April - I'll make sure and post what I see after my cruise.

I have always hated the fact that I had to wake up early just to go out and get a chair (and stay in it) by or near the pool on sea days. I do think signs should be posted every day in the pool area that the WORKERS will remove towels from chairs after 30 minutes of non-use, so that others can find a chair. I HAVE seen conflicts over these chairs and it isn't pretty. In todays world, we should all be friendly to each other but instead, a lot more people are brazenly confrontational and it can be scary. I will be cruising in April - I'll make sure and post what I see after my cruise.

There is a posted policy, but in very small letters.

Wouldn't it be great if Chair Hogs would sometimes cop to their behavior on these boards? Hmmm....wonder why you never see a post saying, "I leave my towel on a chair for hours at a time and this is why..."?

Either no one on the CC boards EVER hogs a chair (which is unlikely considering the amount of people who post on these boards and the amount of chair hogs there obviously are), or they just don't admit to it because they know how FREAKING obnoxious it is but they just don't care!

Come on, SOMEONE reading this thread IS a chair hog! Post a reply and try to redeem yourself! I dare ya ;)

There was a thread a couple weeks ago where some guy admitted to be a hog.

I admitted being an ex-hog.

Was my first cruise. Knew no better.

Now I do.

Someone that doesn't know any better and follows the flock.. that's a sheep :) (lamb to the slaughter)

A HOG is someone that knowingly does it, and doesn't care what the other passengers think.

"All Animals are Equal, but some animals are more equal"

Recently on the Sea Princess we came across a couple who reserved seats on both the promenade deck and the sun deck at the same time. We only noticed when they came back to their resevered on the promenade deck, sat next to us and told us how hot it was on the chairs they were also occupying on the sun deck. Isn't that the worst chair hog of all time !!

Recently on the Sea Princess we came across a couple who reserved seats on both the promenade deck and the sun deck at the same time. We only noticed when they came back to their resevered on the promenade deck, sat next to us and told us how hot it was on the chairs they were also occupying on the sun deck. Isn't that the worst chair hog of all time !!

Yep.. they win...

I think I have a better one - we once saw a lady hogging 4 chairs at once! She had two in the sun and two in the shade; one for her and one for her "stuff" - book, beachbag, sunhat, sunscreen - in each area. Loungers were at a premium and hubby and I were sharing one lounger - one of us would use the pool while the other used the lounger and we would switch off. Meanwhile she and her stuff would lie in the sun for a while, then get too hot I guess and move to the shaded loungers, all the while leaving her belongs scattered at the other location. As we watched this go on for some time, hubby finally asked her politely if she could give up one of her chairs so that we wouldn't have to share one. While she did it without saying a word, everytime we saw her for the rest of the cruise she stared daggers at us. She seemed to be travelling alone, and no wonder! :)

Shogun;

On my recently completed cruise on the Golden, I never saw the deck attendents doing anything about towels left unattended on chairs.

Bob

I know, I know, off subject but perhaps the deck attendents were all watching the Movie Under The Sun and couldn't have heard anyone complain even if they had...

We were once on the SP during New Year's cruise. There was a big group from MD who made up fake Princess signs that said "RESERVED" with the Princess logo. They taped these signs on about 20 or more chairs near the pool. When confronted they became very hostile. I'm not sure if we reported them, but took off signs from chairs we needed.

I think I have a better one - we once saw a lady hogging 4 chairs at once! She had two in the sun and two in the shade; one for her and one for her "stuff" - book, beachbag, sunhat, sunscreen - in each area. Loungers were at a premium and hubby and I were sharing one lounger - one of us would use the pool while the other used the lounger and we would switch off. Meanwhile she and her stuff would lie in the sun for a while, then get too hot I guess and move to the shaded loungers, all the while leaving her belongs scattered at the other location. As we watched this go on for some time, hubby finally asked her politely if she could give up one of her chairs so that we wouldn't have to share one. While she did it without saying a word, everytime we saw her for the rest of the cruise she stared daggers at us. She seemed to be travelling alone, and no wonder! :)

I think I would just go ahead and after 30 minutes, say that since I don't see any person in those chairs, and personally don't see how a bottle of sunscreen really needs to have a whole chair....I will take over so an actual person would use it.

We were once on the SP during New Year's cruise. There was a big group from MD who made up fake Princess signs that said "RESERVED" with the Princess logo. They taped these signs on about 20 or more chairs near the pool. When confronted they became very hostile. I'm not sure if we reported them, but took off signs from chairs we needed.

Hmmm, I always need scratch paper.:D

Maybe before my next cruise, I'll print this out and have handy to show anyone who's hogging chairs (or find the sign and point out when necessary):

2467877300103777938S425x425Q85.jpg

I wonder if chair hogs are worse when there are a lot of Europeans on board ie. British? I was on Emerald in Dec. (first time on Princess) and I have never known the chair situation so bad. Even Carnival was better. All the other cruises we have been on the passengers have been mainly American and Canadian and never encountered any problem. On the Emerald a fair percentage were British.

Chair saving has always been part of the British culture and hotels in the med countries have problems with hogs, seen lots of arguements over the years. I am English BTW before anyone steps in that I am being unfair. Just something I noticed:D

Archived