Vaccination Question

agsevenpersons

I am wondering about vaccinations for the western caribbean cruise with stops in Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan? I have Hep A and Hep B shots. Does anyone get any other needles, such as typhoid or any different vaccinations? Thanks.

both the US and Canada have website that list what you should do. for the US one it is at http://www.cdc.gov/travel and they list what you should get. For the most part on a ship visiting you won't need anything but talk with your primary care giver and get your tetanus shot updated(every 5 years)

Typhoid is good for 2-5 years depending on how you receive it (shot or pills). My travel clinic (and doctor) felt that since we would be eating off the ship (one of our tours went into Guatemala) that it would be a good idea. Then we decided to do the Galapagos since we had all the shots anyway :D.

Have a great trip.

No vaccinations are required for cruise passengers...it's up to you and your doctor if you NEED any. Most folks don't. You won't be there long enough to be exposed to any of the stuff that long-time residents and visitors might be exposed to.

even though no special vacinations are needed for the western caribbean -- our doctor insists that we keep all shots updated -- hep a and b, tetanus, typhoid, pneumonia, yearlt flu shot -- the only one dh can't get anymore is the yellow fever shot

You wouldn't need the yellow fever shot for a cruise (unless you're stopping in Panama, Columbia, or Venezuela. Even Panama is questionable. My doctor said we'd be fine without it--as long as we stayed within the Canal Zone. Panama between the canal zone and South America, you may want to get it, even though our tour guides in Panama claimed that there is no yellow fever in Panama anymore.

I am wondering about vaccinations for the western caribbean cruise with stops in Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan? I have Hep A and Hep B shots. Does anyone get any other needles, such as typhoid or any different vaccinations? Thanks.

You will be fine with what you already have...no need to bother with the others

Archived