Question about Signature Excursions ...

Lady Chew

We're planning our excursions for our Oct cruise on Prinsendam. HAL offers full and half-day private tours in several of our ports. You pick the vehicle, how many people, etc, you have a guide & driver, and I guess you either plan your itinerary in advance or work with the guide when you get there.

I imagine this is much more expensive than arranging the same thing on your own. BUT - since this is a HAL-sponsored excursion, will the ship wait for you in case of delay getting back to the port?

Has anyone ever done this? Do you get the same service you would get booking your own tour?

thanks!!

We did this on our Med cruise last summer. It was wonderful. Our guide and driver couldn't have been more informative, helpful and funny. It was well worth it. A few days in advance, you receive a questionaire asking you what you want to see on your tour. The guide and driver get this a day or so prior to your arrival. The guide and driver plan, and review the plan with you.

I don't think it was a lot more than a private tour- it certainly wasn't a lot more that our privately arranged tours. Some, yes. But not a lot. The local knowledge and feel is critical. A private tour would be the same, most likely, but, in reality, that is what you are getting thru HAL, a private tour.

I would imagine their policy on holding the ship would be generally the same for any excursion booked thru HAL, wouldn't you? I doubt they would sail prior to a more expensive excursion getting back, as opposed to a less expensive one.

Lady Chew,

with respect, these private tours by HAL are a LOT more than private (unless it is just you and your dh) and then it is just a fair bit more.

the ship normally waits for their shore excursions, however, there is no guarantee. I have seen the ship wait an hour for a delayed bus and I have also seen the ship leave without the people on board.

In that circumstance I do believe HAL paid for the transportation to the next port - but any respected private tour company (ie. it happened to Rome in Limo many, many years ago - at least 12 probably more and they paid) will also pay.

No one wants to miss the ship believe me.

We have done Hal's and privates. choice depends upon what is available and the port. As to Hal's privates - they are indeed first class, no question. If you would like (we are on the same cruise), email me with the ports you are looking at and we can discuss if you want. You can reach me at catjack@nbnet.nb.ca

In any case, these are indeed first rate, but I do feel far more expensive than private tours and the guarantee to be on ship is not 100% - it works most times, but there are times that the ship has to go and it does.

sort of like using Hal's air - no guarantee. Sad but true. they'll wait if they can, but sometimes they can't.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a Signature tour get back at the very last minute! We met the people who took that tour afterward, and apparently the driver just wanted to show them over the countryside, and kept ignoring the guide who told him that they needed to head back! I am guessing that the guide called the ship's agent and asked for clemency.

The ship will wait as long as they can for all passengers, special tours, regular tours, and just dumb clucks who can't tell time. There have been times that due to weather or high seas that a ship had to leave a regular tour behind. In that case, the cruiseline pays for your hotels and your transport to the next port. If it was a signature tour, they should do the same.

When you get a map for a port, it always has a phone number for the ship's agent. If you think you might be late, call them or get someone else to call for you. If you communicate with the ship, they will let you know what to do.

Archived