Appropriate dress on HAL ships

ISurfTooMuch

We are a "mature" ;) couple and have cruised enough to know what we prefer. My husband will not, he absolutely refuses to get dressed up in a suit. He's fine with the blue blazer, oxford shirt and khaki slacks and you know what? That's fine by me. We are on vacation and I think he looks great (after 40+ years of marriage too)! We are heading for our first HAL cruise, 14 nights, and there will be at least two formal nights. I will sneak in a tie which will match my outfit and we'll see how it goes. I will be in basic black.

NCL is great regarding their "dress up or not " nights. I would say 50% of the guests go formal and the rest are smart casual. The one couple that comes to mind, and it makes me smile to think of it, was a cruise out of New York - husband and wife - she dressed in a NY Mets baseball shirt and cap and her husband in a NY Yankees baseball shirt and cap. They put a smile on everyone's face. I would be honored to have them at my table as dinner guests.

So there's my two cents...I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread - you guys can be very funny. And lord knows we can all use a few laughs in our day!

Ciao,

Eileen

We have lived in a number of diverse regions and cities.

Wearing what you would wear to go out for a nice dinner could vary greatly between cities/regions as well as urban, suburban, and rural.

Very true. In fact, our two most expensive meals ($800-$1000 each) were very casual. One was at C in Cabo (Charlie Trotters restaurant in La Palmilla) and I wore casual sundress and DH wore shorts and the other was at a lobster boil where we both wore jeans in the Detroit area. Others in both restaurants were dressed similarly. I will never understand those who feel clothes make a difference.

I will never understand those who feel clothes make a difference.

I agree completely...having good manners makes the difference in my book.

It's not as if they are either/or.

Dressing appropriately for a given situation is good manners.

If I attend my spouse's family church in Ontario suits, jacket/tie are acceptable and the norm.

If I attend my spouse's church in Calgary, Alberta there are lots of jeans, shorts in the summer, etc. They are acceptable and welcomed.

Big difference between the two locales and what is the norm in terms of acceptable dress.

Have I just dated myself? Anyone else remember those words from Sly Stone?

I wonder why this is such a hot topic? Having good manners to me has very little to do with what someone is wearing...it is how you treat others - with kindness and respect.

I go on a cruise to see all those wonderful places I've dreamed of visiting. Part of my enjoyment is during dinner when you talk to your table mates about what they saw that day, what they enjoyed and what they are planning for the next port. What you wear to the table is of no interest to me...I look forward to good conversation.

The problem becomes that some believe that certain attire is appropriate for dining in the MDR while others believe that attire is not necessary

All SOME have to do is follow HAL's recommended attire for the occasion and eliminate all doubts.

From one "kiwi" to another, please don't hide in your cabin on "Formal" night.

You can always have dinner in the Lido, or the Canaletto ( reservation necessary.)

On formal nights we have seen all types of attire in the Main Dining Room, from a lady wearing a track suit type oufit, nice trousers or skirts with a pretty blouse, "little black dresses", sunfrocks, to long dresses.

Have seen men wearing what sounds like your husband wears to work, plus a tie, as for men in jackets have seen what appeared to be nylon "windcheater", blazers of assorted colours, tweedy sports jackets, linen jackets, business suits, tuxedos and kilts.

Everyone looked neat and tidy.

May I suggest that on the first formal night you have dinner in the Lido, and have a stroll around the ship, you will probably be surprised to see what others are wearing, then consider eating in the Main Dining Room on the second formal night?

You will probably find that you will fit in just fine.

Last year we were on board the ship for 36 days, we only took 2 suitcases and 2 cabin bags, plus of course my handbag, we used the ship laundry service, which was very good.

Congratulations on your 40th Wedding Anniversary.

Have wonderful time on the Noordam, we have friends sailing on her later in the year. We have told them not to stress over "Formal "nights.

That's one of the nicest posts I've seen on these dress code threads. I've wanted to book a HAL cruise but quite frankly DW has been put off by the fashion police.

I really think that some people really get too wound up over this topic.

My advice is to just go and enjoy yourself. Don't pay too much attention to the people on this board, or anyone else, when it comes to attire. Nor do I think the comments make any difference whatsoever to what people intend to do or intend to wear.

This board represents an insignificant number of people who cruise so the opinions we read, including my own and this post, come from the smallest minority.

Most people do not spend their pre cruise and cruise time worrying about what to wear. It is a sure fire way to take away from the joyful anticipation of embarking on a cruise.

We are taking our first Australian cruise in Feb. Not sure if Aussies dress up for dinner but we will definitely be in casual attire and will give the MDR a miss on formal nights (unless someone tells us that it is actually very informal). And we are not missing any sleep over it nor are spending one second of our waking time prior to the cruise fussing over it.

Our cruise memories are not about what we wore, or about what others wore, nor does what others wear impact the enjoyment of our cruise in any way whatsoever.

As for the so called 'guest' business that I often read about. That is a huge misnomer perpetrated by the hospitality industry. We are not guests. We are customers...paying customers like just about everyone else on the ship. And the cruise line is a travel supplier, like any other vendor...not your grandmother's parlour. No different from a hotel chain, a department store, an automobile manufacturer. If they screw up too often, or screw up big time we simply change suppliers.

Edited by iancal