apps for downloading

jonj

Has anyone come across any apps for their iphone that they found very useful while touring various places? Looking more for apps that don't require a wifi since we don't know if we will be able to access information in some areas.

Our port stops are Civitavecchia, La Spezia, Naples, Palermo, Malta, Ajaccio, Villefranche

TIA

Great idea for a thread. I assume that you mean no WIFI or 3G. I hope Google Places works well in Rome, Florence, Nice, and Barcelona, and the other big cities we'll be in.

Rick Steves has Rick Steves Audio Europe (free) and Ancient Rome Walking Tour ($2.99 :mad:). We're doing an Ancient Rome walking tour with a licensed guide when we get there. So I won't be paying for that download. Florence City Guide seems like a good freebie, although I realize that it is not on your itinerary.

i do have 3G on my iphone but does it work when you have the data roaming off?

Not familiar with Google places

Google places won't work if you have your roaming off. Obviously, if you find a hotspot, your iPhone will default to wifi. I switch to ATT's international plan when out of the US. Google Places will automatically access your current location and give you choices of attractions, restaurants, coffee, bars, ATM, gas stations, hotels, pizza, and post office. You click on that button and it will the closest of each near you. There is also a "find places" button on it which will give you a map.

I have never used Google Places outside of the US. I got my iPhone this past Fall. Bye bye Blackberry.

If you plan on using public transportation (not taxis), download MetrO and pull the maps for the places you are going. It gives you point to point instructions for getting between two points. Saved my butt in Rome one time when I pulled it up last second just as the train I was on was pulling into the station I needed to change at.

Once you download the city info it is resident on your phone, so no WIFI or 3G needed

Geep - Thanks for the metrO app advice. Reviews on the app site are great for this little gem.

Enjoy. Saved my butt one other time I was in Rome and its free. Just remember to download the latest maps before you leave

• 2 weeks later...

I have the free Rick Steves app, too.

I just downloaded that app this morning. It puts many of his Europe podcasts in one place for easy access. We used Steves' St. Peters and Pantheon tour podcasts last year and found them very good.

20110320-r1n48rrtxy7bqcbxae5dhf65xa.jpg

I have also used the MTRIP apps for Rome and Barcelona. They'll help you plan your day and will guide you to various sites. These apps use GPS and contain all maps internally so you can turn off 3G, cellular data and data roaming. Search the iTunes Store using MTRIP.

20101228-gxg7c5emwcwr4ff232dggrdw4k.jpg

Lew

Has anyone come across any apps for their iphone that they found very useful while touring various places? Looking more for apps that don't require a wifi since we don't know if we will be able to access information in some areas.

Our port stops are Civitavecchia, La Spezia, Naples, Palermo, Malta, Ajaccio, Villefranche

TIA

I downloaded this one for our trip to Italy next October:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/italyguides-vatican-museums/id358100029?mt=8#

It's the free version for iPhone - I think you will like it.

• 1 month later...

I just downloaded some translators for Greek, Turkish, French and Italian for our ports. Lookup "Lingopal lite". It puts the files on the phone and gives you basic info with pronunciation in both male and female voices. All free. Pretty cool.

Archived