Civitavecchia not going to Rome

jonj

We will probably go into rome on our port day, we have been before, we love the city. We are also looking at other options on where to go and spend the day IF we do not go into Rome

Any suggestions? We will be two adults, 2 teens

Hi were going to Rome, Civitavecchia, Italy just wondering when you went before did you do the excursion through the ship or on your own. This is our first cruise.

This is our first European cruise. We normally cruise to the Caribbean. I have been to Rome twice. Once many years ago with friends and we did a tour of Rome, Venice, Florence. Then we went a few years ago with husband and children where we spent four nights in Rome.

For this cruise we are planning on going on our own. The ship excursions are expensive and we can do it for about half including lunch. The least expensive tour I found through Disney cruise line was $125 per person and really it was a tour on the bus and dropping off for time on your own and picking up at a specific time to return to the ship.

We prefer to be on our own schedule and after reading a few suggestions here we are planning on taking the train into Rome (if we don't decide to do something else instead) for about 10 eruos each round trip.

We are four and the ship excursions are expensive

I found this link, found here on these boards, useful for information on the train

roninrome.com/%20transportation/cruising-come-to-rome-for-the-day-2

We plan on pre-ordering the tickets for the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel with a Vatican guide. This will help with avoiding the lines and maximize our time

My family wants to go back to see the Trevi fountain, not sure why but they loved the area it was in and the little stores and side streets off the square. This we will play by ear based on time we have.

I haven't looked into what else we plan on doing while in Rome

I would like to go back to the church Saint Peter's in Chains. I saw it many years ago and the statue of Moses was amazing. I would like for my family to be able to see it. Not sure if it will fall within our time limits but would like to try for it. We would either cab it or use the metro / bus to get from place to place that we feel would be too far to walk.

Last time we were in Rome it was end of June and it was 90 degrees so sometimes walking is not possible when it is so hot as it tires everyone out and I don't want cranky people otherwise we will not enjoy ourselves.

We are looking into other options instead of going into Rome and then make the decision based on that information

We will probably go into rome on our port day, we have been before, we love the city. We are also looking at other options on where to go and spend the day IF we do not go into Rome

Any suggestions? We will be two adults, 2 teens

Do a search on this board...you will find a ton of info here on what you can do w/o going to Rome.

I have been searching this board for ideas of what to do other than Rome while docked in Civitavecchia. We wanted to do Ostia Antica but are in port on a Monday and I see that it is closed on Mondays. Can someone tell us about some of the other places you have enojed visiting? Thanks!

I would like to go back to the church Saint Peter's in Chains. I saw it many years ago and the statue of Moses was amazing. I would like for my family to be able to see it. Not sure if it will fall within our time limits but would like to try for it.

If it's been a few years, prepare to be pleasantly surprised. Moses was thoroughly cleaned a couple of years ago and looks wonderful.

An easy way to reach San Pietro in Vincoli is to start at the Colosseo metro stop. Just before the turnstiles, on the left you'll see a hallway - go down there and take the escalator up to the piazza above the station. Walk across the piazza to the small pedestrian bridge toward Via della Polveriera. Follow that until it ends at Via Eudossiana, turn left onto Eudossiana and San Pietro in Vincoli will be about a block on your right.

My daughter was reading a book on Imperial Rome and suggested Tivoli for Hadrian's Villa and Villa D'Este. We have a long day in Rome. But we won't have time to do that while we spend a long day in Rome. That will be for another time with us. Looks good though.

Do a search on this board...you will find a ton of info here on what you can do w/o going to Rome.

Thanks - tried that but I must not be putting in the correct search words as I am not really coming up with anything. Will try again later

If it's been a few years, prepare to be pleasantly surprised. Moses was thoroughly cleaned a couple of years ago and looks wonderful.

An easy way to reach San Pietro in Vincoli is to start at the Colosseo metro stop. Just before the turnstiles, on the left you'll see a hallway - go down there and take the escalator up to the piazza above the station. Walk across the piazza to the small pedestrian bridge toward Via della Polveriera. Follow that until it ends at Via Eudossiana, turn left onto Eudossiana and San Pietro in Vincoli will be about a block on your right.

Attached is a picture of the inside of the Colosseo metro stop, where you go for the escalator to the piazza above, leading to San Pietro in Vincoli.

255.jpg.22bebcf0782ca131c4805ca6524f884b.jpg

Thank you think we will get the train in to rome and d i y ourselves thank for the link great information x

Sheena

We did this last year and enjoyed ourselves more than the relentless pace of the ship tour on our first cruise.

We did do lots of research and got a good guide book to make sure that we knew where we were going but allowed ourselves to deviate from out plans. I always say that the trick to DIY days at port is to be off the ship as soon as possible and then make sure that you plan to be back on board early enough to take into account things going wrong - so don't plan for the very latest train or ferry and have enough cash to pay for a last minute taxi dash just in case.

An interesting church just around from the Coliseum was San Clemente. It is a small church and not filled with hoardes of tourists, but you can pay to go down to the excavations through the 12th century church, 4th century basilica and then a pagan church.

It was really interesting - but go early because I think it closes for a siesta.

Enjoy your travels.

An interesting church just around from the Coliseum was San Clemente. It is a small church and not filled with hoardes of tourists, but you can pay to go down to the excavations through the 12th century church, 4th century basilica and then a pagan church.

It was really interesting - but go early because I think it closes for a siesta.

Great suggestion, and San Clemente has a web site you can check out: http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/

Hi, I just posted a longer version of this, but we just came back from our cruise and had the same situation as you (minus our kids this time). We went with RomeinLimo (driver was Maurizio) to Etruscan sites at Tarquinnia and then to the walled city/village of Ceri and then on to Anguillara. It was a fantastic day, and I think the variety of sites during the day would work really well with teens. It was a fantastic day, and I am really glad we did it. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them.

Lori

I have been searching this board for ideas of what to do other than Rome while docked in Civitavecchia. We wanted to do Ostia Antica but are in port on a Monday and I see that it is closed on Mondays. Can someone tell us about some of the other places you have enojed visiting? Thanks!

Munraven, (Brenda?)

My self and my husband , Ruth/56 Brian/ 50.

Are in a quandary as what to do on Monday the 2nd.

We are on the previous cruise with you and are doing a tour with RIL with 3 other couples.

Would any of your group be interested in doing a RIL tour on Monday?

Orvetia, or wine country ect...

Archived