Ladies lets talk handbags

jonj

This made me smile:)I just cringe inside when I read, or even worse, hear the dreaded ***** pack expression:D:D

Isn't language just fascinating?

My American neighbour mentioned this at our youth club, where the kids think they're street wise....horrified gasps and hands over mouths, to her bemusement.

She's more street wise herself, these days....

Jo.

I lived in Canada for a number of years. Before I moved there little did I think that there would be a language barrier. Oh, how wrong I was!! What fun we had 'translating' for each other, and laughing over the different meanings for the same words. My worst moment was asking, in complete innocence, for someone to pass me a rubber:o:o

I can still see the completely bemused expressions on my work colleagues faces as I tried to explain road roundabouts to them - they truly thought we must be crazy having such things, and never could understand how we didn't all crash into one another all the time!

Diversity is wonderful, and I have been privileged to have travelled to many parts of the world. Language differences or no, I can honestly say I have met with kindness and welcoming wherever I went.

Looking forward hugely to my trip of a lifetime later this year, cruising to the South Pacific- finally fulfilling my dream to go to Tahiti.

...................Still don't think I'll be taking a ***** pack though:D:D:D

Isn't that funny? Fanny is a rude word there and bum is a rude word here.:D

Well, why do you think the lady's name was Fanny Hill ;)

I wear my fanny pack facing the front or side, and have quite a variety of them in different sizes, even a dressy one.

Hate purses, barely tolerate shoulder bags.

I've been looking for a good solution to the "What to carry?" question because I also use a DSLR. What I discovered is that you can buy a DSLR sleeve (I got mine off of Amazon/maker was cameroo but there are several options) that can be used in a regular purse/bag. I wanted something that would be allowed into museums that permit purses but not camera bags. I agree that the crossbody style is the best choice for safety. I haven't used it on the trip yet but I think I have a good solution. (Overland Equipment Donner purse with insert)

I purchased a Travelon anti-theft cross-body handbag from Overstock.com. I originally ordered a Pacsafe bag but felt it was awkward to get in & out of - LOL...it would deter any thief! I just didn't care for the top opening so I returned it & ordered this one...LOVE it. It has built-in credit card pockets in one compartment (that locks shut) and it's big enough for me to put my DSLR with a 200 mm lens inside if I put it in with the body down & the lens pointing up. I also had purchased a Baggalinni bag at TJMaxx but it wasn't wide/deep enough to fit the camera. It DID however have a zippered wallet type thing in it which was tethered inside with a removeable clip. I have now adopted that as my primary way to carry my cash & drivers license. I can clip it inside whatever bag I am carrying so even if someone did get inside the bag they can't just take it & run if it's attached to the bag and the bag is across my body. This particular bag also has 2 optional pockets on the ends of the bag that zip open to hold water bottles or mini-umbrellas. I think I may order a 2nd one because I like it so much.

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Travelon-Anti-theft-Messenger-Bag/3958041/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

Note - I did notice that the adjustable strap was slipping & wouldn't stay in place (probably because the bag held so much I loaded it up & it got heavier than they expected) so I used a large safety pin under the strap to keep it from slipping. That seems to have solved the problem. I just reallllly like the way this bag is organized and how much it holds for the size.

How much of a handbag will I need on ship, like at the formal evening?

Just a teeny tiny that in additional to personal objects will hold my cruise card and key card?

You don't really need to carry a bag on the ship at all unless you want to carry lipstick or something... A lot of people just use a little wristlet type thing or a clutch for dinner if they carry anything at all. During the day I usually put my keycard in a pocket or I wear a lanyard.

I purchased a Travelon anti-theft cross-body handbag from Overstock.com. I originally ordered a Pacsafe bag but felt it was awkward to get in & out of - LOL...it would deter any thief! I just didn't care for the top opening so I returned it & ordered this one...LOVE it. It has built-in credit card pockets in one compartment (that locks shut) and it's big enough for me to put my DSLR with a 200 mm lens inside if I put it in with the body down & the lens pointing up. I also had purchased a Baggalinni bag at TJMaxx but it wasn't wide/deep enough to fit the camera. It DID however have a zippered wallet type thing in it which was tethered inside with a removeable clip. I have now adopted that as my primary way to carry my cash & drivers license. I can clip it inside whatever bag I am carrying so even if someone did get inside the bag they can't just take it & run if it's attached to the bag and the bag is across my body. This particular bag also has 2 optional pockets on the ends of the bag that zip open to hold water bottles or mini-umbrellas. I think I may order a 2nd one because I like it so much.

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Travelon-Anti-theft-Messenger-Bag/3958041/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

Note - I did notice that the adjustable strap was slipping & wouldn't stay in place (probably because the bag held so much I loaded it up & it got heavier than they expected) so I used a large safety pin under the strap to keep it from slipping. That seems to have solved the problem. I just reallllly like the way this bag is organized and how much it holds for the size.

I also ordered the same Travelon bag. Our local travel store had the PacSafe and I did not like them. I have carried my Travelon on a couple different trips now. It does hold a lot of stuff :D. I did not get the great price that you did; I paid full price.

What's the little wristlet type thing?

I don't think I have ever seen one.

A wristlet is a teeny tiny bag that's about maybe 5" wide by 3-4" high. No real depth to them and they just have a tiny strap that hangs off your wrist. They're sort of like a change purse size almost. Perfect to hold a room keycard and a lipstick.

http://www.ebags.com/category/wristlets/20037193?ne=100&ns=first_activated_date&nso=0&sourceid=MSNKE43037&couponid=32611811

A wristlet is a teeny tiny bag that's about maybe 5" wide by 3-4" high. No real depth to them and they just have a tiny strap that hangs off your wrist. They're sort of like a change purse size almost. Perfect to hold a room keycard and a lipstick.

http://www.ebags.com/category/wristlets/20037193?ne=100&ns=first_activated_date&nso=0&sourceid=MSNKE43037&couponid=32611811

I think I've seen them.

They are cute and functional == look like jazzed up pencil cases!

Perfect for formal night.

Thanks!

On another note are there locations that bags are not allowed in? I know at the Borghese Museum we couldn't take any bags into the museum itself. Is there a limit in size at the vatican museums?

On another note are there locations that bags are not allowed in? I know at the Borghese Museum we couldn't take any bags into the museum itself. Is there a limit in size at the vatican museums?

From the Vatican website:

Bags, backpacks, umbrellas

The cloakroom staff will accept from the visitors their bags and personal belongings (irrispective of the form, material or dimension of th object), with the exception of clothing items, hats, portable umbrellas.

• It is obligatory to deposit in the cloakroom suitcases, backpacks and containers with dimensions larger than cm 40 x 35 x 15. (that converts to approx. 15.5 x 13.65 x 5.85 inches)
  • It is obligatory to deposit in the cloakroom bags and bagpacks which are cumbersome, except those small-sized, that carried on shoulder, don't jut out by 15 cm from the body's shape in its highest point.
  • It is obligatory to deposit in the cloakroom any umbrella with a spike tip, umbrellas of medium and large size, walking sticks (except those required by disabled visitors to facilitate their movement), tripods for cameras and video cameras, signage of any kind (except signs used by official guides for their identification).
  • It is obligatory to deposit in the cloakroom knives, scissors, any tools thai could be harmful to other persons ora damage works of art in the Museums.
  • It is not possible to deposit in the cloakroom, fiirearms of any kind or other dangerous objects. It is strictly forbidden to enter the Museums with any kind of weapon.

Access to the Museums by armed visitors is not permitted. Non exception to this rule is made for visitors holding a firearm permit, or if the weapon forms part of a uniform (police, military or others).

• 2 months later...

We both use Lowepro "flipside" backpacks. The panel that opens on these backpacks is against your back when worn. Besides our camera, there is plenty of secure space for passports, paperwork, etc. Here is a video...

I used a 6" x 9" bag that could either be worn as a knapsack or shoulder bag. Never used it before but it was perfect.

Two pockets outside, one pocket inside.

Room for camera, tissues, passport of copy of passport, cruise card, wallet with one credit card and some cash. Maybe there was one or two more things in it, but it held everything that I needed for a port stop.

I don't often carry a handbag when abroad - but if I do, then I opt for one of the following:

If just a handbag is needed, I have two similar in design to this (but different colour and decorations) http://shop.animal.co.uk/bags/sen-small-x-body-bag/invt/lusy084236/ The top of mine flips over and underneath is a zipped main compartment. So no easy way in. Underneath the flap is another zipped smaller pocket on the front; a zipped purse compartment inside the main body and a hook for a key. There is also a small pocket at the back of the bag. It can be worn across the body.

The other handbag I take (a little smarter/less casual looking) is this Nica one http://www.pureshu.com/details.asp?ID=136 It's hard to explain, but when the 'flap' is opened up, it actually becomes the top half of the bag and has a zip across the top. Imagine the bag folded in half and clipped down. Again, more cumbersome to get into. Again, it can be work across the body.

If I need a bag to carry my DSLR in, I take my Lowepro fastpak http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-200,2085,14.htm. The bottom 'half' is a padded camera store. It has a zipped compartment that is covered by the flap you can see at the bottom which is clipped down with two snap clips. Again, time-consuming to get into - not the quick "unzip and go" thievery that the pickpockets are looking at.

Never store your purse at the very top of the bag, definitely don't carry more money/credit cards than you will need for that day and don't get your purse out in a crowded area and then quickly put it bag in the top of the bag before moving on (you can be watched by thieves and that can make you an easy target).

The only time I have ever fallen prey to thieves in all the travelling we have done happened in exactly the way I've described, in the railway station by the Spanish Steps in Rome. Luckily, before leaving our hotel that day, I had the foresight to only take 80 Euros (enough to buy our return train ticket if we lost the one we had already bought) and no credit cards. DH had a credit card so I figured I wouldn't need to take one. Fortunately, all we lost was a tiny purse and 80 Euros. Despite taking precautions all day long, one lapse of concentration at the end of a hot, tiring day was all it took. The thieves had spotted that I would be more concerned about getting our young daughter onto the train with me.

The thieves were......two girls, approximately 10 years old.

I think Americans should be required to use fanny packs.

If only to give Europeans a good giggle.

WD

When I met my husband ten years ago he wore a fanny pack, after three weeks of dating I told him; his fanny pack has to go. I grew up in France. I do smile when I see someone is wearing a fanny pack.

Best regards

M

I never use any of my travel products at home -- they are all function over form.

I imagine our strategy is similar to a lot of other people:

We both have a Pacsafe neck wallet for securing passports and for carrying an emergency fund and credit card while transiting airports. We may also use it for a larger ATM withdrawal to get the cash back to the hotel safe. It's definitely not for regular access. The neck wallet, passports, emergency fund and that credit card lives in the safe when we're not using them.

We also each have Pacsafe Metrosafe bags for regular access to things that need a little more security than our eyes and hands alone can give them. These carry identification/ship card, a credit card (each of us carries a different one, and these two are different than the emergency one above), daily supply of cash (which we try to keep very limited) bus/museum/train tickets, maps, umbrella, water, camera, phone. Obviously, things that need less security are more accessible, things that need more are behind the locked zippers.

We also have five pieces of Kipling luggage, and they're great and work well for us. I really like the tote (an older one, no longer made :( that is similar to a VeraBradley Villager.) I can tether my Metrosafe inside it, or fold it up and put it inside my Metrosafe when I need to consolidate carryons. Or, I can use both the tote and the Metrosafe when I need to have somewhere to put purchases that won't fit into the Metrosafe. The tote does zip closed, but doesn't have any security features, so I recently picked up a package of diaper pins to use for that purpose...thanks to whoever suggested that . :)

Sadly, I have given up taking my DSLR and all its lenses, accessories, etc. on vacation with me. I'm pretty small and I have the largest LowePro fliparound backpack. It became just too much to manage the logistics of using the camera while at the same time, remaining conscious of my safety and surroundings.

in port i carry a RICK STEVEs shoulder day-pack.

on the ship during the day i carry my Cruise Critic bag--just got another smaller type to try this next cruise or a smaller cross-body type bag--depends on what i am doing that day and how much stuff i need to carry!

in the evening i have an evening bag and a casual bag...both small enough for a few "essentials"--didnt use to carry and hubby just carried a few of my things until one of my lip-glosses opened in his pocket--that was the end of that!!

I haven't noticed much about Vera Bradley purses. They have a few that can be worn cross body, made especially for traveling, that are small to medium in size instead of the standard large size.:) What I like even more is that they weigh practically nothing and take up little space when not in use (packable). :D

ah had my reply almost all typed and lost it. Baggallini's were desinged by flight attendants and they have lots of pockets inside and out. They come in a variety of sizes. I have also used a day pack .When using that I take other precautions and flip the cords on the zippers inside each other. I have had a pair of travel pants that had a zippered pocket that I loved. I also have one pair of hiking pants that have a zippered pocket. love this thread. Thanks

I have a crossbody bag that I really like. The bag has lots of secure zippers, and since it is always in front of me, I know what's going on around it. I agree with someone above who talked about being aware. Thieves pick on those who are easy targets.

We were acosted twice in Europe by gypsies, once in front of the Vatican and once in Florence right in one of the main squares. It was a good thing that I had read about the gypsies in a travel book I had purchased so I knew when they came up to us and started talking really loud to you (which they do to distract you), to start yelling back at them really loud..No! Shoo! Get away! And man do they scram off fast as they don't want to get caught. I always use a Bagallini cross body bag or my Coach cross body bag. Really, in all my years of travel all over the world, except for twice on the same trip to Italy, I have never had any problems whatsoever with anyone taking anything, from my body, hotel room, or cabin. But, you do have to beware. :D

Archived