Ladies lets talk handbags

jonj

Ok ladies what type of bag have you used during your port days while on a cruise in the Med. Did you purchase one of those slash proof ones or do you use just whatever bag you already have? I don't use large handbags at home and don't want one that ways me down but do need something that will fit my camera, small one and DSLR plus since I am the mom I end up carrying things for everyone else

I don't like to use backpacks and with the news of pickpockets being more and more common I don't want to be carrying something behind me

Would love to hear suggestions

I always travel with a small day pack; it's the only thing big enough and comfortable enough to use when I'm on the go. Last May we took a cruise followed by 2 weeks in Spain and Portugal. My wallet was on the bottom of my pack buried under cameras, snacks, wipes, guide book and a poncho. On public transportation I kept the pack on my lap or I wore it on the front. In Spain and Portugal the pickpockets on trolleys were so obvious but the American tourists were totally oblivious. Women especially, with purses wide open on the seat while they hung out the window taking photos.

A day pack may not be stylish but it's so darn convenient.

I purchased a Pac Safe bag for my first trip to Europe. It made me feel safer. I still watched out for my purse, but I wasn't paranoid about it. I don't use a purse here at home, but knew I would be carrying more stuff around while I toured.

My sister also bought one, but a different model. They have different styles, so you could pick one that fit you.

I have a pack safe purse that I wear crossed over, but I keep my money and credit cards in interior zippered pockets in my coat or jacket. Except, of course, in the summer when that stuff is in the purse. Usually, however, I avoid Europe in the heat of summer so that's less of an issue for me. The purse is mostly used for guide books, maps, tissues, etc.

Any time I've ever been to Europe and have to carry along maps, cameras, etc. I either use my Prada messenger bag (which I bought second-hand on Ebay years ago and it wears like iron and still looks great), my Baggallini bag (ebags has a great selection and they're usually on sale, too), or my Kipling bag (check out their website).

All of these bags are made of tough nylon type material so they can be washed and they're durable and not dorky looking either.

I have a pacsafe 100 bag but I will carry a little Coach crossbody bag with one zipper at the top and one pocket. I will only carry my camera, about 20 Euro and no credit cards inside that. I will also use a large safety pin (just the regular kind) to pin the closed zipper to the purse (one more thing for thieves to get through).

My DL, copy of my passport, and credit card will be inside a money pouch under the waistband of my pants. I am so paranoid that I even safety pins those shut. If I need more money or see something I want to buy I excuse myself to a restroom and retrieve what I need.

I also like Kipling bags; they are lightweight and impervious to most everything....... I have a couple of different sizes (both across-the-body) that I use depending on how much I have to carry. They also tend to have a lot of organizer pockets, and also a "tether" inside that I can tether my wallet to. However, I carry most of my cash, extra credit card and passport (if required) with me elsewhere on my person.

I find the Pac Safe bags heavy and don't particularly like their styling. But others love them.

I had a Gloria Vanderbilt tapestry tote bag that zips closed. Maybe 14" high, and 10" across. I really liked it, but alas in Rome I loaded it with too much stuff and it split wide open. So I shopped in Rome and bought a large purse there. I do like a shoulder bag that the strap can cross my body, and my one hand is always on the purse.

After 7 trips to Europe, I've never had a problem with pickpockets and never felt the need to get one of those Pac Safe bags. Before my Med cruise, reading this board about pickpockets, I did look at them, but decided against them, mainly for the cost of them. But again, 21 days in Europe and we never had any kind of problem whatsoever in 2008.

Go with what you are comfortable with.

I use two purses for traveling. I have a Le SportSac that is light weight and a solid neutral color. I love this one, and have used it for several years. I wash it on the gentle cycle in the washing machine and drip dry it. Great size, good pockets and plenty of room. Adjustable strap allows me to wear it across my body.

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7507_9010.html

Last year I purchased a Pac Safe Metro Safe 200. I really like all of the safety features, and it has a place for a water bottle. The only drawback is it gets heavy.

http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=135

I have a Coach crossbody bag that is relatively small by my everyday standards but its enough to hold what I need during the day while traveling. I try to keep it light. I keep most of the important stuff (small amount of cash, copy of my passport, ship card, credit card, etc.) in the inside pocket. Eyeglasses, tissues, purell, etc. go in the main compartment. There's an outside pocket for a very small umbrella.

I haven't used one, but I imagine that the Pac-safe bags will be heavy. The most important precaution is, unfortunately, to not let your guard down. Keep the bad in front of you with one hand on it at all times. In especially crowded, touristy places, like the Trevi Fountain in Rome, literally clutch it with both hands until you get out of crowd.

I always wear a bum bag, round where my waist would be, if I had such a thing...(called something else in the USA, but it's a very rude word here..:eek:;)). I also have a small cloth bag, completely trippy with "Barcelona" written on, which will contain a pacamac, old cheese sandwich, apple core etc.... and tucks under my armpit.

These two items have done many Med cruises, and many more Med holidays in various spots, including Spain....I don't usually take much cash, and the little I do, and one card, are tucked into the pocket of my b.b. facing me.

I've only one had a problem, and that was in Inca market, Mallorca, with a brand new leather-expensive- shoulder bag, which was rifled and the thieves got away with my bus pass worth 50pence, and a library card....that was 20 years ago, and I haven't looked interesting enough to be touched since..;)

Jo..

I give everything to my DH to carry!!!! This has the double bonus that if he did 'lose' it I could blame him!!!!

Only one problem with this theory, I don't usually travel with my DH.

I'm with an 80 year old that is in worse physical shape than I am, so

I should help carry her bag, not her carry mine.

So we each carry our own and want the bag as light as possible, for the camera, travel docs, and even small souvenirs we may purhase.

Pac safe slash proof bag recently purchased and just used on our last cruise to Europe in Nov. - on previous trips to Europe I did not carry any bag. DH always carries a slash proof backpack with extra secured zipper openings for extra stuff that if lost or stolen won't matter - it is mostly to put in souveniers or sweaters, rain gear, etc. He keeps all real money and cc in a money belt or a zippered shirt front pocket.

I really liked the pac safe bag for its compartments. But the only thing of value it carries is my camera - when you can unglue it from my hand - which is not valuable in itself, but only for the photos it holds - which are downloaded every night onto a notebook laptop on ship. Go to some of the big box stores like REI or Dicks, or some of the luggage stores, etc. and try out some in person - it is really a matter of personal preference.

I always wear a bum bag, round where my waist would be, if I had such a thing...(called something else in the USA, but it's a very rude word here..:eek:;)). I also have a small cloth bag, completely trippy with "Barcelona" written on, which will contain a pacamac, old cheese sandwich, apple core etc.... and tucks under my armpit.

These two items have done many Med cruises, and many more Med holidays in various spots, including Spain....I don't usually take much cash, and the little I do, and one card, are tucked into the pocket of my b.b. facing me.

I've only one had a problem, and that was in Inca market, Mallorca, with a brand new leather-expensive- shoulder bag, which was rifled and the thieves got away with my bus pass worth 50pence, and a library card....that was 20 years ago, and I haven't looked interesting enough to be touched since..;)

Jo..

This made me smile:)I just cringe inside when I read, or even worse, hear the dreaded ***** pack expression:D:D

Isn't language just fascinating?

My apologies to the Brit on the use of the word "fanny pack" but thats what Ive used on many travels. My particular one has a mesh part where its useful to carry a bottle of water or an umbrella. I only bring my ship card, copies of passport a credit card, the amount of cash that I think I'll need for the day. OOps... plus my small camera & bits of other stuff including a a map.

If I feel particularly concerned with pickpockets, I have around my neck, hung on an an attractive cord and under my shirt a small "envelope" with my IDs and Credit card. Fortunatly I do have a mate who will carry a small light weight daypack that comes in handy to stash a coverup, an extra bottle of water, more maps. He keeps his important stuff in a neck pouch under his shirt.

Purses are a pain to keep track of. My mother sat down her purse, in less than a minute it was stolen.

Has anyone tried stashing important stuff in pants with flat pockets on the bottem of the leg?

A.:)

Last time I went I used a travelon bag but halfway thru I decided I really did not need it and went to my regular bag. This time I am just bringing some nice crossbody bags with me.

Although if you have been to QVC lately travelon has several really nice new designs, way more stylish than the old bag that everyone used to buy

Fair's fair, as I always get a good giggle when Brits ask "Will you knock me up in the morning?"

Do tell :D

I looked for it in a Brit Slang dictionary and could not find a definition other than what it means here in the US. Surely you don't mean that! :eek:

Do tell :D

I looked for it in a Brit Slang dictionary and could not find a definition other than what it means here in the US. Surely you don't mean that! :eek:

In British slang: To "knock someone up" is to make sure they get up or to give a wakeup call in the morning.

Any time I've ever been to Europe and have to carry along maps, cameras, etc. I either use my Prada messenger bag (which I bought second-hand on Ebay years ago and it wears like iron and still looks great), my Baggallini bag (ebags has a great selection and they're usually on sale, too), or my Kipling bag (check out their website).

All of these bags are made of tough nylon type material so they can be washed and they're durable and not dorky looking either.

I bought a Baggallini bag 2 weeks ago at a TJ Maxx. It cost $19. If you are close to one, it would be worth a check.

Archived