sigma vs tamron

ruespal

I've decided to sell my 18-55mm and 70-200mm and buy a 18-200 to make it easier for me on our upcoming cruise( well in most all situations), but I can't afford a nikon. So my question is if you had to buy one of these 2 name brands, which would you choose- or if you have previous experience with either. Thanks..........

Hi there. I'm a Nikon shooter myself and love my 18-200. It's a great all purpose, shoot anything lense (almost:)). KEH is a great resource for used equipment. They are very, very accurate with their description and condition ratings. Also very good customer service. Here's a link for a 18-200 on there right now. http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DN07999082856J5?r=FE Don't know if that will help you but if you are not interested in that my personal preference is Sigma. I own one and it has been good to me. Enjoy your cruise, Jim

There are reviews here for these two lens:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1007/cat/31

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/170/cat/23

Or the newer version heres:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_18-250_3p5-6p3_os_c16/

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15/

There is no clear cut here. Tamron is offering a new PZE drive version of the lens that might make me say give that one a go.

I've decided to sell my 18-55mm and 70-200mm and buy a 18-200 to make it easier for me on our upcoming cruise( well in most all situations), but I can't afford a nikon. So my question is if you had to buy one of these 2 name brands, which would you choose- or if you have previous experience with either. Thanks..........

Of the wide travel zoom lenses, the Tamron 18-250mm has been widely reviewed as the best of class - a big improvement over their 18-200 and other third-party 18-200s. It has been very well regarded for several years. It was finally replaced by the 18-270mm version, which as Chipmaster mentioned is now recently updated with a PZE version. I'd tend to recommend the Tamron for this class of lens (I have no problems with either Sigma or Tamron, and own lenses from both). If you can afford to step to the 18-250mm Tamron, I think you're going to get a much better lens than the 18-200mm version - as mentioned above, KEH might be a great source to find one used for a good discount.

I've shot for 3 years with a Sony-badged version of the Tamron 18-250mm lens, and it has been an excellent travel zoom. My gallery of all shots from that lens here if you care to look:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/sony_sal18250mm_f3563

It says 'Sony' on it, but it's well known to be optically identical to the Tamron 18-250mm, and manufactured by Tamron for Sony.

Incredibly, one of my Nikon badged lenses; AF 70-300mm f4~5.6 ED Zoom is a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD clone, but with Nikkor glass.

So it's not to say that an individual lens from any manufacturer won't be a good lens.

I use a Tamron 18-270 and also have a Tamron 28-300, shooting with a Canon xTi and 40D. Both lens have given me consistantly good results. I rate them both excellent walk around lens if you only want to carry one.

The picture below was taken with the 18-270. The original photo at 8x10 was great!

Cheers,

653584705_Castlesmall.JPG.82869a1952417eb070bee4fdfeb02a10.JPG

I have no experience with the lens you want but I do own a Sigma 10-20mm & I LOVE it.

Good luck.

Add me as a strong "SECOND" to that motion of loving the Sigma 10-20mm, f4.0-5.6 lens. I used it with my new Nikon D3100 (previously a Nikon D50). Great results and especially wonderful for churchs, palace interiors, etc. Below are three examples of "success" with this lens and why certain settings need a wider view in order to "capture the moment". I also have Nikkor 18-55 and Nikkor 70-300 lens. Things work very, very well. From the below blog/live you can see lots of results with fjords, royal castles, nights at Tivoli, puffins, etc., for these three lens.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,725 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This Queen’s Reception room at Windsor Castle has spectacular ceilings and architectural detailing, plus nice furniture and paintings. Just like home in the State Apartments!! :

WindsorQueenChamber.jpg

The new Terminal 5 at Heathrow has a unique, large roof span over this massive area that is in part a massive shopping-dining mall and, oh yea, a new 21st Century airport gateway/hub. Things worked smoothly at this facility. Nice and interesting design touches by the architect, Norman Foster.:

HeathrowTerminal5.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide, we view this spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

If you are looking at super wide angles, take a look at the Tokina 11~16. It's really closer to a pro lens, and arguably the best super wide angle for the DX format. It is a fast lens, with a consistent f2.8 aperture.

The fast lens means you may be able to take interior cruise ship photos without a flash.

I own this lens, and it beats the pants off the Nikon 10~24. The 1mm difference in field-of-view between the two lenses is only about a 4% difference. You would not notice a field-of-view difference in two photographs taken with the two lenses.

The lens is also constructed better, sharper, and less costly than the Nikon 10~24. It's only downside perhaps is it is heavier.

Unfortunately, this lens is only available in Nikon and Canon mounts, so owners of other brand cameras are out of luck.

Also it doesn't have a focus motor, so Nikon D3000, D3100, D500, D40, and other entry level DSLR owners are out of luck as those cameras will not autofocus this lens.

Actually, the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 is available also in Sony/Minolta A-mount. Those have body-driven focus, so no problems with AF, and of course the side benefit of in-body stabilization works with a UWA on this mount...so handholding slow shutters with a fast aperture makes for tremendous abilities in low light.

If considering ultrawides, I've had years of good use from my Tamron 10-24 F3.5-4.5 - the next-fastest UWA and with a useful wide 10mm range.

Thanks for all the input- I learned a lot just reading all your posts. As luck would have it, I found a Nikon 18-200 in excellent condition for a Very good price.I'm going to pick it up on Saturday. Yay, so excited!! I had just found out about this forum( I have been on the other ones for a while)- what a great forum. Been checking out some of your photos and they are phenomenal!! Thanks again!!!!:)

Archived