First Impression of Falmouth from Freedom

Visited Falmouth on Feb 23rd, 2011 cruising on Freedom of the Seas. I wanted to provide a little insight into what my family felt about the port along with show some pictures of the port.

We only visited the new port complex. My wife and I have been on all of the Jamaica excursions we care to go on and honestly did not feel like seeing the more depressing side of Jamaica again. Just sad how some of the most beautiful places in the world seem to be 3rd world countires.... Anyway

Port overall - Not ready for primetime. This was expected from reading updates here on CC and talking with the RCI employees prior to coming into port. Latest update states a July completion. This from the future cruise desk and they did not say July with a great deal of conviction.

Port potential - This is going to be a favorite location once complete. The buildings are very nice. Spacious and clean bathrooms. Plenty of open space to allow for vendors and other activities. Below is the link to some photos to give you an idea of the status of the port:

Falmouth people - The people were the most astounding part of the day for us. Everyone we spoke to was so friendly. You could tell they genuinely appreciated us being there. You can feel now much hope this port is bringing to the town. One other interesting point, you can tell some coaching was done with the street vendors. Not a single person was pushy like I am used to seeing in all other ports. Everyone was very relaxed and simply offered as much help as possible.

Favorite/interesting points

1. The cabanas set up in front of the live band. They were free while we were there, but I am sure these will be a charged ameniity in the future. But very nice to lay back in the warm breeze, drink an ice cold Red Stripe and listen to live music.

2. The marching band playing for over an hour while the ship docked and people began to head for their excursions. Posted video on YouTube here:

(It is a bit long, sorry)

3. If you happen to be on a ship where it is the first time in port here, try to get off first, you will more than likely get interviewed by the local press.

All in all, this location will be very impressive once complete. Hope everyone else enjoys it.

The pix of the buildings do look like they are doing a nice job. While this may end up being a nice port stop in the future, Royal was way pre-mature to start calling on this port....they should of held off till it was complete....I am sure happy my March Allure sailing was switched back to Costa Maya and that I switched my June sailing to an Eastern route.....who wants to to be taken to a construction zone:rolleyes:

mmn531 - Thanks for your honest review of Falmouth. We are on Allure's 3-27 sailing, which if it proceeds as scheduled will be the first time Allure calls there. Kind of excited about that, but otherwise cautiously optimistic about visiting Falmouth.

My wife and I have never been to Jamaice, and we were considering an excursion to while we for months have said we would just stay on the ship, as of late we have discussed doing an excursion to Dunns River Falls. Based on your pictures, it looks like all the transportation for excursions and taxis are parked in a dirt lot between the pier and the town. Do you have any feedback on how the departure and return process went for excursions? We all know the port isn't complete, but I hope that their excursion staging area is at least complete to some form of presentable fashion...

mmn531 - Thanks for your honest review of Falmouth. We are on Allure's 3-27 sailing, which if it proceeds as scheduled will be the first time Allure calls there. Kind of excited about that, but otherwise cautiously optimistic about visiting Falmouth.

My wife and I have never been to Jamaice, and we were considering an excursion to while we for months have said we would just stay on the ship, as of late we have discussed doing an excursion to Dunns River Falls. Based on your pictures, it looks like all the transportation for excursions and taxis are parked in a dirt lot between the pier and the town. Do you have any feedback on how the departure and return process went for excursions? We all know the port isn't complete, but I hope that their excursion staging area is at least complete to some form of presentable fashion...

I was on the first Voyager of the Seas to Falmouth on Feb 17. The transportation for excursions had some confusion for the first time they were doing it, but they were all very helpful in trying to get you to the right bus. It was easier for the execursions with a large number of people as they had bigger busses. We went on the Great Houses tour and there were only about 8 of us, so we had to find the van. Not well marked, but once we found it, all was OK. The driver and tour guide were great, telling us a lot about history as we drove around. The excursion parking lot was paved, however. It will only get better.

The pix of the buildings do look like they are doing a nice job. While this may end up being a nice port stop in the future, Royal was way pre-mature to start calling on this port....they should of held off till it was complete....I am sure happy my March Allure sailing was switched back to Costa Maya and that I switched my June sailing to an Eastern route.....who wants to to be taken to a construction zone:rolleyes:

I agree that the whole construction zone thing felt a bit weird. But after meeting the people working there, that melted away. This town NEEDS this port and I think opening it up early in the end is good.

One additional item I neglected to mention. A few of the 'shadier' construction workers tried to give me sea shells. Not sure why sea shells, but my internal alarm went off. Just be wary of these guys.

I was on the first Voyager of the Seas to Falmouth on Feb 17. The transportation for excursions had some confusion for the first time they were doing it, but they were all very helpful in trying to get you to the right bus. It was easier for the execursions with a large number of people as they had bigger busses. We went on the Great Houses tour and there were only about 8 of us, so we had to find the van. Not well marked, but once we found it, all was OK. The driver and tour guide were great, telling us a lot about history as we drove around. The excursion parking lot was paved, however. It will only get better.

Great comment on getting better. I spoke to Kirk, our cruise director, after leaving port. He was impressed with how well it went. We only had 2 tours show up late for the ship. So they will get things together after the next few ships roll through.

Thank you for the great picturs...I did watch your 8 minute video..:D.. I can see the possibiliteis of this port.

Everyone is commenting why are ships stopping there before it's done? Maybe it's to work out all of the kinks before it's grand opening. How many stores do you know have soft grnad opening before the BIG grand opening. We arrive May 4th..hopefully more landscaping will be done before we arrive. If not no big deal to me. I am headed to Ocho Rios for the day anyways.

The port of MoBay isn't much better than the incomplete Falmouth. Between the two ports, I would rather be in Falmouth than MoBay...

Angela

Thank you for the excellent update and pictures. I am at work (boo) so I can't watch the video but I will when I get home. We like you really don't care to see the rest of Jamaica (so sad, I feel like 'Capitalist American Pig' (sorry, can't type that with the right accent) so we were planning on just staying on the ship. Or at least getting off and looking around within the 'compound' area.

Thanx,

Erika

Thank you for sharing your video and pictures from falmouth - I agree it's not really a ready port but has great potential in the next year. On my first trip to Jamaica I really wanted to try "Jerk" now I am not sure I will be able to do that, but there could be another trip in my future, maybe.

Visited Falmouth on Feb 23rd, 2011 cruising on Freedom of the Seas. I wanted to provide a little insight into what my family felt about the port along with show some pictures of the port.

We only visited the new port complex. My wife and I have been on all of the Jamaica excursions we care to go on and honestly did not feel like seeing the more depressing side of Jamaica again. Just sad how some of the most beautiful places in the world seem to be 3rd world countires.... Anyway

Port overall - Not ready for primetime. This was expected from reading updates here on CC and talking with the RCI employees prior to coming into port. Latest update states a July completion. This from the future cruise desk and they did not say July with a great deal of conviction.

Port potential - This is going to be a favorite location once complete. The buildings are very nice. Spacious and clean bathrooms. Plenty of open space to allow for vendors and other activities. Below is the link to some photos to give you an idea of the status of the port:

Falmouth people - The people were the most astounding part of the day for us. Everyone we spoke to was so friendly. You could tell they genuinely appreciated us being there. You can feel now much hope this port is bringing to the town. One other interesting point, you can tell some coaching was done with the street vendors. Not a single person was pushy like I am used to seeing in all other ports. Everyone was very relaxed and simply offered as much help as possible.

Favorite/interesting points

1. The cabanas set up in front of the live band. They were free while we were there, but I am sure these will be a charged ameniity in the future. But very nice to lay back in the warm breeze, drink an ice cold Red Stripe and listen to live music.

2. The marching band playing for over an hour while the ship docked and people began to head for their excursions. Posted video on YouTube here:

(It is a bit long, sorry)

3. If you happen to be on a ship where it is the first time in port here, try to get off first, you will more than likely get interviewed by the local press.

All in all, this location will be very impressive once complete. Hope everyone else enjoys it.

Hope the July completion is close to right -- we sail on FOS on Aug. 21.

Also, was on Freedom docking at Falmouth on Feb 23rd. I think they should have waited until the facilities were complete. It was disappointing to be in a construction zone. We had not booked any shore excursions ahead of time as we were not sure that we were even going to dock in Falmouth. My daughter and I and her two boys booked a shore excursion to Mountain Valley River Rafting the night before docking at Falmouth. Should have been a 5 1/2 hour excursion, but lasted almost 7 hours - almost missed the ship. I think they did not take into account the extra travel time from Falmouth as opposed to coming from Montego Bay. The trip itself was great - we loved the gentle rafting part and our "captains" were great - got a pedicure with sandstone from the banks of the river. Two people to a raft. Took some great pictures. The road going up into the mountains was terrible - all I could think of is what we get a flat tire or have a broken axle - it was really bad. Spent some time at the Shore Excursions Desk on the ship to let them know of our experience. Heard from other people that the Martha Brae River Rafting was great and not far from Falmouth. In fact, on todays "Hoda and Kathie Lee Show" they had pictures of Hoda and KLG on a river raft on the Martha Brae.

Thank you for sharing your video and pictures from falmouth - I agree it's not really a ready port but has great potential in the next year. On my first trip to Jamaica I really wanted to try "Jerk" now I am not sure I will be able to do that, but there could be another trip in my future, maybe.

There was a street vendor selling various 'jerk' meats in the compound. It was good and not too spicy as I have had in the past in Jamaica.

Beautiful shopping opportunities coming but the beautiful water was my interest. Is there a beach close to there for use by visitors?

I wish I could help on this. My room attendant Marvin lives in Jamaica and he mentioned that your best option for beach time would be Mo Bay or Ocho Rios.

Since you will be in Jamaica, I would recommend sticking with a ship excusion for the time being until the port is a bit closer to ready. That is just my cautious side coming out

is a RCI project. Only RCI ships will be using the port. It will accommodate two RCI ships (and probably Celebrity) but no other lines will have access in the immediate future. Just back from Voyager and our stop in Falmouth..the work completed in just a few days is amazing....The pave stone work is being done by a crew from Santa Monica, under contract directly with RCI and they are moving quickly.

The buildings are quickly taking shape, the project is moving right along.

The folks were great and welcoming

is a RCI project. Only RCI ships will be using the port. It will accommodate two RCI ships (and probably Celebrity) but no other lines will have access in the immediate future. Just back from Voyager and our stop in Falmouth..the work completed in just a few days is amazing....The pave stone work is being done by a crew from Santa Monica, under contract directly with RCI and they are moving quickly.

Celebrity has stops scheduled at Falmouth as well.

I was on Voyager's Feb 27th sailing, and we called at Falmouth. It looked like some of the folks who said they would not get off the ship DID in fact get off the ship.

There was a free shuttle to Montego Bay for those who wanted to shop in the Rose Hall shopping complex. It was a lovely drive. And yes, the buses were air-conditioned. The people were very nice and accommodating.

I look forward to returning in a couple of years to see the finished product. I'm glad that I saw it before it was finished.

Good morning TEXASMUNK (Jim).

Great news. We are due there in about 4 weeks. Any chance you have any updated pictures?

Thanx,

Erika

Thank you for the photos, I was curious as to what it looks like, what is going on outside that certain port area? For instance, I found Ocho Rios safe inside the gates and surrounding blocks but once you go a bit further I not feel safe at all there....in face, we avoid Jamaica all together and if we have to go there for whatever reason such as a certain ship we want to be on or sailing date, we will never get off such as the last time. Just wonder how it is lets say few blocks away from the pier?

Archived