Ship Library - Can you Check Out Books?

Wannaknow

"Check out" is too strong a term.

You may remove any books in the library to read while on board, except a few reference books.

There is also a book exchange where you can leave your unwanted books and take in exchange.

See you (almost) soon.

Lou

I am assuming, possibly erroneously, that you can check out books from the ship's library to take to your stateroom?

Just hoping for a little more space in that darned suitcase!

Treat yourself to a Kindle before you travel and you can have as many books as you could possibly read right there in one hand. No more taking dozens of books on every cruise the way we used to.:D

The library on Insignia was wonderful- they have a huge selection of books. As Lou says, there is really no "checking out" a book and nothing is locked up. It is all honor system with a friendly reminder to return books at the end of the cruise. I do have my kindle loaded and ready just in case.

We do 2 things when we first embark. I go to the stateroom to wait for luggage and wife heads to the library. Before you could make reservations for restaurants on line, we did that first lol.The last time we where on Nautica there library was great. We are boarding her next friday in Beijing.

• 1 month later...

Lyn is absolutely right.

I am addicted to the Kindle as a frequent traveler. It is so convenient for reading, and I don't have to drag along a ton of books as I used to have to do.

But most of my friends prefer holding the book in their hand, and I understand that to because I feel the same way. it's just that if you are traveling for a while, the Kindle is amazingly convenient. And it's easy to load up your Kindle with anything you'd want to read -- whether it's a best seller (at a somewhat discounted price, but not as discounted as it used to be) or if it's a free classic.

But for someone just taking a cruise -- maybe staying a few days before and after the cruise itself but NOT touring Europe for 2 months -- the ship library is also an excellent substitute. You just need to bring something to read on your flight in that case ...

I would NEVER suggest to Oceania that they can eliminate the wonderful library (my favorite space on the "R" ships) because of Kindles and Nooks and the like!

Mura

Sometimes it's the simplest things that we get pleasure from such as the book exchange in the library - I've often left a book or two and picked up one or two in exchange to read during the rest of my vacation. There's usually quite an excellent selection I must say.

I think it's little things like the library policy and the real-world alcohol policy that set Oceania apart from the others. When I go on a mass market ship I either have to forgo bringing spirits on board or smuggle it; on Oceania I just bring it aboard at any port. And on the other ships, the library shelves are locked unless there is a staff person, with limited hours, to check out the books; on Oceania it's completely on the honor system.

In other words, Oceania treats you like a responsible adult. It's refreshing.

Sometimes it's the simplest things that we get pleasure from such as the book exchange in the library - I've often left a book or two and picked up one or two in exchange to read during the rest of my vacation. There's usually quite an excellent selection I must say.

I have enjoyed the book exchange and found a new author that way. Had a Kindle on recent TA and loved it, but still browsed the library and left a couple of paperbacks we brought. Became addicted to download of Scrabble on my Kindle. It was either free or $.99 and great to fill short time periods when didn't want to start a new chapter or couldn't concentrate. Can play alone against the Kindle or someone else.

• 3 months later...

Do most people take a book or two at a time to read and try to return them soon after, or is there a problem with hoarders who keep a bunch of books until the cruise is nearly at an end and then return them?

Are there musical CD's and DVD's of current movies available?

Do most people take a book or two at a time to read and try to return them soon after, or is there a problem with hoarders who keep a bunch of books until the cruise is nearly at an end and then return them? It would vary by passengers onboard & their personalities

Are there musical CD's and DVD's of current movies available?

They do have movie DVD's some of them current movies

Do most people take a book or two at a time to read and try to return them soon after, or is there a problem with hoarders who keep a bunch of books until the cruise is nearly at an end and then return them?

I don't know about fiction, but I did notice that travel books were removed and returned only after those ports/that country was behind us.

I think that travel books should be for reference only so everyone can may use of them - but of course there is no librarian to oversee this.

I agree with Marsha/Lou that I would hope most people do their research before hand

Lyn

That's a given, but there are times that you want to look up something specific or something new, that you did not anticipate.

At home you would go on the computer but here it would be nice to have a "reference" travel book section that you knew was always there for you.

I've only noticed a problem with travel books as Paulchili said. Everything else always seemed to be in plentiful supply.

I'm interested in travel books, so that's a problem, especially if people hoard books. I read a lot before cruises, but don't want to lug my own books with me.

I'm interested in travel books, so that's a problem, especially if people hoard books. I read a lot before cruises, but don't want to lug my own books with me.

It's no problem at all because there is an easy solution....

Simply get your backside into the library first :D

voilà, all the travel books are at your disposal.

It's no problem at all because there is an easy solution....

Simply get your backside into the library first :D

voilà, all the travel books are at your disposal.

Fine, but I'd also like to see some copies of travel books left in the library for all to reference.

Fine, but I'd also like to see some copies of travel books left in the library for all to reference.

And pray, how would you regulate that in an honor library?

If you have found a way to instill honor in others, I think that you need to run for office, never mind worrying about the library on a cruise ship. :p

And pray, who would you regulate that in an honor library?

If you have found a way to instill honor in others, I think that you need to run for office, never mind worrying about the library on a cruise ship. :p

My favorite ship libraries have had librarians. :)

I would rather have the ship employ one wonderful librarian than another boring troupe member for the show.

Archived