Does the boat "bob" in the Med?

pacaduli

• 1 year later...

Just thought I would give a little first-hand info on my recent experience on the Med.

We had a WONDERFUL cruise 2 weeks ago...but we had a bad day on the water.

For about 18 hours, as we crossed from Sicily to the Spanish coast, we were on very rough seas.

Here is what the Captain told us:

Wind was at 50 knots

Swells were 20 feet

He said something about "class 10", and that class 12 was considered hurricane...we experienced class 10 (hmmmm?)

It was by far a most un-pleasant experience.

I went to the buffet to get a hot drink, at the propellery end of the boat.

As I was informed later....a wave and a swell came at the same time.

All of a sudden it felt like the ship stopped dead in the water.....and then BOOM, the pointy end of the boat went almost 90 degrees into the water!

ALLLL of the plates, some of the food, a drink machine, and a few of the crew members who happened to be standing went to the floor.

I thought to myself that if an aged passenger went down, they would have broken a bone.

A couple in a cabin at the pointy end of the boat had to be moved to another cabin, because the waves had come thru their balcony door, and the cabin was soaked....their cabin was on the 7th floor.

Truly an experience to remember.

So, I will answer my own question.....a ship carrying 700 passengers will "bob" in the Med...but I think a mega-ship would have also, on that day.

:)

Happy travels to everyone.

Wind was at 50 knots

Swells were 20 feet

I went to the buffet to get a hot drink, at the propellery :cool: end of the boat.

As I was informed later....a wave and a swell came at the same time.

All of a sudden it felt like the ship stopped dead in the water.....and then BOOM, the pointy end of the boat went almost 90 degrees into the water!

And all those lucky souls coming to New Zealand and Oz in the near future will think that is a good day in the Tasman Sea and Bass Straight. :p

2005 event

Going in and out of Barcelona and the Bay of Biscayne can be pretty rough.

The R ships don't like high seas. We experienced a very stormy and unforgettable night in a VS for about 12 hours coming from France to Barcelona.. Moved permanently back to the OS and even in rough weather felt much less of the ship rolling and pitching as it does forward. If you have a real seasickness problem mid ship low cabins would probably be best.

It is my understanding that the Paul Gauguin was built specifically for the shallow waters of French Polynesia and has a far shallower draft (depth in water) than the average cruise vessel. This makes it ideal for sailing the lagoons and atolls of the S. Pacific, but far less stable in the open water between the islands. Your negative experience may be very specific to the P.G. and will likely not be affected on ships with more substantial draft.

Archived