Insignia Leaving The Fleet?

Steph27

I don't read the Oceania board often but check it now and again. I was searching for information on Insignia leaving the fleet in 2012 but cannot find it. Is this old news?

I read the following news on www.fromthedeckchair.com

Hapag-Lloyd Cruises announced Monday that its COLUMBUS would depart the fleet a year earlier than scheduled, in May 2012. She will be replaced by Oceania Cruises Insignia, which will join the Hapag-Lloyd Cruises fleet next May, rechristened as COLUMBUS 2.

Larger and with a capacity of 698 guests, COLUMBUS 2 will allow Hapag-Lloyd Cruises to add more diversity to its itinerary offerings while at the same time enhancing the onboard experience for its guests. COLUMBUS 2 is also larger, at 593 feet in length.

COLUMBUS will carry out her published 2011-2012 World Tour schedule as planned, departing the Hapag-Lloyd Cruises fleet on May 7, 2012 in the port of Nice, France. Only two previously announced cruises departing after this date will be scrapped, and passengers booked on the affected voyages will be given the option to switch to a new itinerary.

The Officers and crew of COLUMBUS will be transferred over to COLUMBUS 2.

This news has been known for some time - there's nothing secret about it.

The Insignia is being leased to Hapag-Lloyd for two years, beginning in early 2012. She will be operated by them and then returned to Oceania.

At the same time, early next year, April, to be exact the Riviera will be launched and will remain in Europe for that summer. That will give Oceania the Regatta, the Nautica, the Marina and the Riviera - the four ships they have today. However, they will have greater passenger capacity...

My only concern is that Hapag-Lloyd, being a German firm, allows smoking on board their ships, and I fear that the Insignia will come back smelling like an old ash tray.

Say that won't be so, FDR!

Very interesting; I actually hadn't heard this before. We're on the TA this Nov from Rome to Rio, so that's interesting to think that we're going to be on her last Westerly TA crossing... at least for a while. Our sailing is oversold, and had sold out right away when it was released. I don't supposed that's due to this leasing issue, but... you never know.

I certainly hope that O keeps up the quality on Insignia, all the way to the lease, and doesn't die off at all! I expect they will--from what I've read here of observing Insignia since Marina was launched, it still has been a quality experience. Keep it up, O!

David Shermet, the CD on Regatta told us a few days ago he heard O is planning to eventually get rid of all the R ships permanently. If the ships go, I go, back to AZ. I and others told him we thought that would be a mistake and that O would lose a number of customers if they do this.

David Shermet, the CD on Regatta told us a few days ago he heard O is planning to eventually get rid of all the R ships permanently. If the ships go, I go, back to AZ. I and others told him we thought that would be a mistake and that O would lose a number of customers if they do this.

Agree 200%..

The R Ships are not going anywhere, anytime soon.

Tim

The R Ships are not going anywhere, anytime soon.

Tim

Please define "soon."

To me, "soon" would be anytime in the next five years.

If you are going to sell or lease the "R" ships, at least please do so to another line which limits smoking significantly, i.e. Azamara.

Please define "soon."

To me, "soon" would be anytime in the next five years.

If you are going to sell or lease the "R" ships, at least please do so to another line which limits smoking significantly, i.e. Azamara.

They will be remaining in the fleet with Marina and Riviera, plain and simple.

Noone should fret about them leaving.

Tim

They will be remaining in the fleet with Marina and Riviera, plain and simple.

No one should fret about them leaving.

Tim

I hope this is true. But I know business plans can change with market conditions. If you do decide to sell them off please give us fans a heads up as to where they are going so we can follow them. As long as O has an R ship in the fleet I will continue to be a customer.

Thank you, Tim. That's good to hear.

I don't think it would be fair to make you swear to "never"!

Obviously, there are lots of regular cruisers here who don't want to lose our favorite ships.

We are looking forward to sailing on Riviera or Marina, but until we do I don't know if we'll opt in the future for the new ships or the old ships. I suspect that we will still be itinerary driven ... and will want both choices to be available.

Folks, Marina was wonderful, but, in talking about the smaller R ships, maybe since they are also the owners of Regent also, they are planning on "melding" the smaller ships of Regent into their fold and slowly let the R ships "disappear?" Am I making sense here?

Whatever they decide to do, it is their overall itinerary, benefits, service and attention that is what is important to me, as a passenger.

If the smaller R ships go then we, like others, may consider other lines

We love the smaller ships but (out of loyality)will try Marina at some stage.

Just hope they don't go - but can't really see them ALL staying much beyond Riveria's arrival.

Folks, I really have to say that for those of you who have not sailed the Marina, please give it a try. It is fabulous, and you will not feel that you have lost anything compared to the "smaller" ships. They have a wonderful product.

To be honnest I regret the tendency to increase the size of the ships.

The 680 pax on the R class was indeed a good size of the "mid-size vessels"

Marina and Riviera are still at a "human size" level with 1250 pax (not as the RC Oasis for exemple) but still is is just a bit less as the double!

Same phenomena with Seabourn. From the nice yachts of 208 pax they doubled with 450 pax!!!

I know what I choose: the small ones in both shipping lines!

Folks, I really have to say that for those of you who have not sailed the Marina, please give it a try. It is fabulous, and you will not feel that you have lost anything compared to the "smaller" ships. They have a wonderful product.

Well I have already spoken to friends who have done both... and they still prefer the "real" ones!

We just got off the Marina & I have to say although she is very nice and has some great features we prefer the small ships

Lyn

It seems many people agree with you. I know we have no interest trying the new LARGER ships. I hope Oceania is not shooting themselves in the foot by getting rid of an R ship.

Archived