All things EARTH...

I wish I was going on Liberty because while it leaves from Bayonne, its within driving distance. But I've got a fun weekend to plAn for!

I have lost 35 pounds total, Lauri. I'd say 25 pounds of that is from the beginning of this year. Right now I am exercising and trying to make healthy food choices, but I'm not dieting. For that reason, I'm pretty much maintaining my weight right now.

If you use a smart phone, maybe you can save the soft autumn link

To your phone and use that? As a warning, sites vary greatly. I like the link that Anita provided a lot.

Oh that is funny! We are also aft, 1700. We have had the equivalent room on Adventure and fell in love with that room. The room is jr suite sized (but no tub) and the balcony is really big...not as big as your next door cabin 7708, I think. Our friends had that cabin and the room is regular sized but the balcony is MASSIVE! Like you could put 20 people out there.

Barbara, where do you stop on the repo? And Melody, are you east or west Caribbean out of Galveston?

How fun!

Lauri

We're Western for 9 days. Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Roatan, Costa Maya & Cozumel with 4 sea days. Melody

We are in promenade cabin 6615. First time in that type of cabin. We will miss our balcony but looking forward to simply being on the ship. We are on the 13 night repo. It goes to San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten, Curacao, and Grand Cayman. Can't wait.

Nice itinerary - we should've done a b2b. Melody

Great ports for all of us! We are most looking forward to Bermuda and San Juan. We also love Curaçao, Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. We will visit Grand Cayman for the first time in Feb. Last time we were supposed to port there, it was too windy to get in so we had an extra sea day. This cruise would be a wonderful B2B!

Laurie, we drive to Bayonne though your drive is much, much shorter!! It is about 12 hours for us, but we absolutely love the drive across Pennsylvania, through the Poconos. We always choose a Brewpub half way into the trip to stop for a Microbrew and lunch. Breaks up the trip and it is an adventure we look forward to! We saw cheap airfare but we would rather drive! This will be our 3rd time making the trip. We can always find rooms dirt cheap, under $75 in Parsippany or Morristown and then have a quick 30 minute drive to port the next day.

Having fun looking at soft autumn on Pinterest. I really think I need the color chips to be successful though. I found a few places that sell the color swatches...one was only $40 but they were just loose chips. The others I have seen are $75 and $90 but come in a more organized fashion. I guess I need to just do it! I won't have to buy much for my October cruise, but hope to be down enough that I will have to shop before February!

Enjoy Labor Day!

Lauri

Well, it looks like we are all having a great time planning our trips! I took some pictures and feel really good about my outfits. I need some warm day options just in case so I'll work on those today. I don't expect warm nights there at all, so my evening dinner outfits should be fine. One outfit isn't fitting in with the rest but I think you guys already know which one that is.

If I wanted, I could save that outfit for our big overnight shopping trip in October. However, I did try laying some warm necklaces with it and I love the look. I agree too on the idea of warmer bottoms, but I'm just replenishing my wardrobe so I'm working with what I have been able to find.

Lauri, the only thing I hate about the Bayonne drive is the heavy traffic when we get to the NYC area. I think a dream trip would be to drive in a day ahead and visit NYC the night before. It's on the list!!

I love Grand Cayman. I swam with the stingrays there.

Thank you, Per!

It's very hot here today, and we don't have air conditioning at home. For that reason, I don't feel up to trying on my outfits! But I do feel like putting them together. So, I took some pictures.

Here is a basic lineup. Pretty much, I need an outfit for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Monday is the return trip home. I need clothes for that, but since it is a traveling home day, comfort in the car is the main thing that matters to me. Friday is a traveling day too, but only half of it so I am thinking that I should wear something both comfortable and pleasing to the eye, in that I won't feel like I need to change when I get there. I also feel that since we are driving and it isn't a long trip, I won't mind having options. If I don't wear everything bring with me, that's okay.

Here is the main line up:

IMG_3638_zpsoilznf5y.jpg

The colors are somewhat accurate here. The rust/orange sweater is very nicely muted. I think it is just how the light hits it next to the other items.

Here is what I am thinking...

IMG_3632_zpspxbomqjb.jpg

The outfit on the left can be worn day or night. I think it could work for either one easily. I even have a faux leather coat that now fits that I could wear with it. It would certainly change the look completely.

The one on the right speaks for itself. That's a work shirt that I love. I can see it tucked in to the boot cut jeans with the belt. I think this adds an unexpected mix as well. I'll know for sure when I try them on as a whole.

Here is the jacket:

IMG_3619_zpsiqsg1bmb.jpg

Maybe that is just too different? I'm trying to wear what I have, and venture out of taking the conservative approach to everything. Also, the boot cut jeans allow for the shorter or tucked in tops where the straight or skinny jeans do not. I am a bit of an inverted triangle so I have to think carefully how I balance myself out.

Here are the other outfits, more up close:

IMG_3629_zpshf0lj3hz.jpg

What do you think of the layered necklaces? I love the concept, and it feels like me, like something I would do. I can even use the shorter necklace again with the jacket/drape neck outfit. It will work perfect.

I love the orange sweater with the green shirt a lot. I need to try on the shirt because it's been a while, but I recall that the shirt was rather small so it should work well now. If for some reason it does not, I have that green shirt from my analysis pictures.

I am thinking for the trip home, I can just re-wear one of the bottoms with a basic top,and then add a jacket if it is needed.

I started with the idea of the core wardrobe, like the Vivienne Files, but I like to change things up a bit more than she does.

If it ends up warm, then I'll have to look to plan B!

Any input it welcome. By the way, when we make the drive up to the top of Veteran's Memorial Highway, which is Whiteface Mountain, it will probably be about 15 to 20 degrees cooler, maybe some snow...

Love all your outfits, Laurie! Love the layering of the necklaces against the burgundy top. I bet you will feel the shirt is more your true autumn color with the necklaces. So, a true autumn burgundy would have more brown in it, correct?

I love how everything goes together when you purchase only within your season! That is my goal, to have an interchangeable wardrobe of fewer pieces, but with tons of options.

I have been going through my closet and have very few soft autumn colors. I have a pair of tan dress pants, the lavender sweater, a few coral tops , a few brown, khaki and army greenish capris, that blue and orangey floral top (it may be too orange), a teal top, a multicolored floral that may be ok and two tan fall coats. One of the tan fall coats I have had for a long time and I typically just paired it with dark jeans and a burgundy or green/teal shirt underneath, and I always loved that outfit! Now I know why! So eventually all my black, white, teal, fuscia has to go away! My daily wardrobe consists mainly of my burgundy scrubs (required at work), jeans/capris, casual tops and a few dress items for cruising, dinners out and church. I do not need much!

I did order the $40 color cards. I am excited to get them and discover if what I think is ok, is really ok! This will be a work in progress, especially since I am still losing.

Lauri

Melody, I am a true autumn. I think the tops, scarves and jewelry are all autumn, but they are not all true autumn. It's a work in progress. I also think that it can be hard to find the exact right colors. I can find our earth colors well, but it an be a bit harder when you narrow down from there.

I think that picture of the outfits hanging up are the best true representation of what the colors actually are, in that flash and lighting play a big role. I avoid the flash on my camera whenever I can but this room gets a lot of light and it can cause things to look very bright if I'm not careful of the time of day.

The burgundy is air, although it can look rather warm in certain lights. A true earthy burgundy would probably be what we think of as marsala, that purple and brown type of color. I can find the color, just not in an item I'm looking for!

If I wanted to, could probably create much more of a mix and match wardrobe out of this. I do like variety though. I have an excellent rust v neck sweater that is such a good true autumn color! But I don't have it in the group because I have my orange sweater in there. I found myself not wanting to repeat colors. I know, that is silly of me. I think I just enjoy seeing what works and what does not, then how I can change things up.

Lovin' all the outfits Laurie!

Still feeling a little shocked that they are SO FALL-like! As in, cool weather clothing! OMG...NOT there yet here. At all. We are finally getting cooler overnight and that is making for some crisp mornings but we are still in the upper 80s...and I swear we were over 90 during this last week.

Anyway...it feels like you have nice casual outfits. I think you'll look very put together but still very appropriate.

I struggle with that personally. Because I wear exercise clothes so much...whenever I put on something nicer, I feel so dressed up...even if what I'm wearing is still considered casual...it's just the contrast for me.

Homecoming is this weekend. DS has a date and they have a good sized group going together to do something (not planned yet) before the dance.

I'm thinking about having at home date night with DH. I'm even debating turning it into something of a dinner party and inviting another couple or two over. I can think of one couple that we haven't reciprocated with yet and another couple, but these couples don't really know each other...

I haven't entertained much like that...

But they are all social people so I don't really see how it could be a problem.

Could be a challenging menu though...the one man is allergic to poultry...

And several of us are gluten-free/grain-free. And I've gone dairy-free as well...

I have to share this recipe because it is the best thing!! OMG...it made a bunch and I've been putting this chunky green sauce on everything:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/carrots-black-lentils-harissa

I haven't made the lentil/carrot part yet. I plan to because I saw black lentils for the first time in my life and bought them...but after all the rave reviews of the take on Harissa in this recipe, I tried it to have with grilled protein this weekend.

WOW!!! So good! Highly, HIGHLY recommend. It's one of those condiments that take your food to another level.

Today is Day 3 for the sauce...and it is still good. Almost gone. So it is keeping well for at least a few days.

I'm starting a major rework sewing project. I have a dress that has smocking in the bodice and otherwise just hangs down. A very simple dress that is really unflattering. I can hear Heidi Klum from Project Runway..."It's SO unFLATTERing." I have a sewing pattern that I like a lot in theory...and I think there is enough fabric from this dress to make the sewing pattern.

So I'm going to cut up the dress (because I love the fabric!!) and make it into the pattern.

And hopefully, it will go on the cruise with me!

Meanwhile...I've been contemplating my travel outfit. Like Laurie, I want to be comfortable, but travel will really be such a short part of my morning...I want to look nice on arrival.

But I think we might hit the pool deck fairly fast...so, not sure how long I'll actually be IN my travel outfit?

I mean...this little vacation of mine doesn't feel like it is requiring too many clothes! I'm almost jealous of all the planning that Laurie is doing!

Redid my fingers yesterday...the Peridot duotone nail color did NOT last through all the household chores. I have the very fun green metallic Kiko color from Malaga on now.

I worked on my eyebrows and think that I have them in a more pleasing shape now.

I'm getting my hair "refreshed" tomorrow. My undercut needs help...it's over an inch long now.

And I've figured out how to wear a very natural eyeliner and mascara only thing on my eyes that makes me feel just a bit more polished but still natural.

And I survived the weekend visit with the dreaded in-laws!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! And there were no blow ups...no one yelled at me...and there was only one disappointment for DH that served as a reminder as to how things really are.

Lauri...so glad that the Soft Autumn makes sense to you! It's the worst when the colors that are your "technical" best don't jive with your own sense of self. Much better when they do...

It IS so much easier to wardrobe plan when you purchase within a color palette. It is easier to shop...if you hit a clearance rack...you can easy start my looking for your colors. Anywhere in the store really...

I really consider it a helpful guideline/boundary, not a hindrance at all...until you really need something that you just can't find in a "good" color. But this is the time of year for all thing Earthy and Autumn to hit the market...so pickens should be plentiful...it should be a fun time to try on different colors. Using the color swatches will be very helpful in the artificial lighting of the stores...it is helpful to wear a great color for you when you shop...what will also be helpful is for you to educate your eye as to what the off colors do...

For me...I get close enough to Earth colors in the stores that the skin changes are more subtle. I'm generally erring on the side of "too bright" which is a color wearing me, totally distracting from my face...I have a hard time focusing on me in the mirror...and often I can see the reflection of the color in my skin (especially around my jawline).

The other err is "too cool" and that will make the yellows around my eyes more noticeable...as well as around my mouth. If I hold up the questionable color, it's like seeing a morphing photo...slowly the yellows stand out more and the mirror image slowly becomes more and more tired looking...older looking. If I'm wearing a good color, when I take away the bad one...it's a morphing in the opposite direction...it's like "natural foundation" blending my skin and a shot of caffeine entered in...a more alert and younger image stares back at me.

Try it. Train your eye so that you can see because that is ultimately the most helpful thing.

And also...if ever you are in such a debate over something, usually, if you can see yourself look not so wonderful, debate is OVER. And you don't want it anymore because you don't want to look like that.

I think everyone is succession on the Liberty is pretty funny.

It'll be great fun to see all the pictodiaries! I hope everyone takes some photos and shares.

Laurie, I love getting to see your upcoming trip outfits. I have major EARTH envy. Love these colors so much! It amazes me how much different the colors read for me today looking on my big monitor compared to looking at them over the weekend on my phone. Of course, the picture is much bigger, but the colors are much more EARTHY looking on my big screen too. I especially like your accessory choices. Your pictures have taught me that I need to lay everything out on my bed or hang them across my shower curtain and snap a picture. I think it will give me an instant knowledge if my capsule is working with or against itself. I like being able to see the mix and match components in the picture.

Debbie, I got an email from Nordstrom over the weekend that advertised a Limited Edition Greige eye palette and nail polish from Bobbi Brown. I'd never heard of this "color," so I thought I'd check.it.out to see what's up. And, whoa Nelly! this is the color that I think you're looking for! Of course, I'm way behind the trend because I found that it's been out since 2014, BUT... it's all over Pinterest and is a kind of grayish-beige... hence the shortened "greige" connotation... that has that warm, very warm... but LIGHT... color of warm grey. If you haven't done a search using "greige," I think that you might find it helpful to finding those neutrals that you want. However, a word of warning... from articles that I read there were statements about greige having run its course and it's become so popular that it might be on it's way out. Isn't that the most absurd thing? Fashion! Don't get it! When something becomes extremely popular, they (the powers that be) must abandon in search of the NEXT most popular thing. Makes me so crazy....

Maybe this is too much on the beige side.. rather than the gray that you want. Hey, maybe the Next.Thing will be more on the gray side than the beige. Now, that would be wonderful for you! Stay tuned!..... what would they call it? Brey?

Edited by Member123

The funny thing about my trip is not knowing for sure about the weather. Right now I'm looking at the forecast for ten days out. It will have a high of 73 but a low of 49. I will need something warmer for evening but if it is 70 during the day, not so much. Until

I go to the top of Whiteface. Little whiteface is cool too. I think ill be set for evening with the caramel brown outfit, and the orange and green one for sure.

I love this stuff.

Anita i look forward to your sewing project. Growing up, I did that a lot to repurpose hand-me-downs. It was fun.

The orange sweater is not as bright as it seems when I set it on the bed. I get a weird glare from that window.

Lauri, I think I speak for everyone here when I say to enjoy the color searching process. Don't get frustrated, it will take time. It will make your outfits easy to plan and you will be able to mix and match easily.

Greige, lol. I will have to google that!

I'm trying to keep my nails nice so that I can polish them for LP.

I can't wait to see everyone's pictures!!

Anita, your project sounds like so much fun! I love sewing but have never re-purposed anything before! I am a curtain/pillow/costume sewer but would love to improve my skills. I hope you show us before and after pics!

Everyone, thanks again for all your advice! I am really excited to get my color chips in the mail and start shopping! It will go slow, mostly because I do not want to buy too much in my current size! I am so excited to find these colors! The corals, blues, purples, greens, pinks even, really excite me! I have really, really been wearing the wrong colors! I was always drawn to bright, cheery colors! My new clothes will be a sophisticated cheery that won't be so in your face, so you can see my face! I will definitely "teach" my eye to how my complexion changes with the right and wrong colors. I am sure that will become very natural over time.

Tonight, Ryan and I gathered all his favorite things that we can fit into 2 suitcases! Another load of laundry and last minute additions and we will be all set! We are driving him to Chicago Thursday morning. Flying out of Chicago is a much quicker trip with just one layover in Dublin. Trying to make it easy on him, flying for the first time on his own! I am so excited for him!

Have a great week!

Lauri

Laurie, it's fun seeing all your wardrobe choices. I especially like that orange sweater, and the necklace layering on the burgundy top. It is weird though to see such fall clothes since we've been in the high 80s and low 90s for a week or so now, still wearing summer clothes and swimming in the lake. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around going back to school next week. I haven't thought about fall clothes/work clothes at all yet!

I have had company every weekend since 4th of July. I am so looking forward to no guests this weekend! We love to entertain, but I'm ready for some down time.

I'm so looking forward to some pictodiary!

The dress project is going well. There was not enough fabric to do the pattern that I was originally thinking...so my plans changed a bit.

I have refashioned the bodice area into a more flattering shape and have taken it in quite a bit. My big dilemma at this point is how to reattach the skirt so that it is a pleasing result. Originally the dress was just one big ole piece of fabric with the smocking at the top to try to make the bodice more fitted (which didn't work so well and thus, didn't look so good). I need the skirt to still be wide enough to allow it to be a pull-over dress...but all that extra fabric isn't so flattering.

The alternative is to put in a zipper and I'm not so sure that I want to do that...it would probably mean a trip to the store to get a long enough zipper...and then it would seem to defeat the easy peasy dress idea...but it sure would be more flattering because I could make the top of the skirt exactly as big as it needs to be and not bigger but gathered...

Hmmm.

If I put in a side zipper...it would be easier to close and it wouldn't have to be as long as a back zipper...and then I could just reopen that seam again to insert the zipper...

Hmmm....and then, since I would have to open the skirt seam (which I haven't done yet...I could put in a pocket. OMG...love me some pockets...

Decisions...decisions...

I'm finding the new take on TVF very intriguing. This whole idea of the "slot machine" choices. I can really run with this idea. I could adapt that more easily to my thoughts of a limited range of a color, and or, similarity of function, rather than just one color.

To me...jeans are a neutral. They pretty much go with everything...so if that is one bottom...there's no need to try to find a bunch of other similar blue. I could have a row of jeans, khakis, and then another khaki-like colored skirt...and that would be MY slot machine row of bottoms. KWIM? And the khakis do not have to be khakis, they could be any neutral and they wouldn't have to match, they could just be really similar.

I think I'm running with this concept for my 4-nighter.

Not that I'm planning on jeans.

First...I have to see if the dress is going...

That's a great tutorial! But no...the dilemma is at the waist. If I continue to let the dress be a pullover dress, then I have to have a lot of extra fabric around the waist to get the thing on. The smocking pulls the waist in...it used to all be attached and just one panel of fabric with smocking at the top and then nothing so that it all just hung down.

I have decided to put in a side zipper. I have one that is close enough in the color...so I'm going to give it a try. I have a another dress that I've used for an idea around the waist. I'm hoping it will all work!

That was the shortest post I ever made, lol. But to get a dress on over your head and past the girls would require either a lot of stretch or a looser fit. I added a few darts near the waist of a dress once but it would have needed a zipper to fit the way I wanted.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk