All things EARTH...

Hey Anita,

It sounds like you had a fun trip. I used to always chaperone our kids in school activities. They got to the point that they did NOT want me to chaperone any more because I was always with them and they wanted to be with other parents and not always with me. :eek:

Did you get my last 2 emails? I wondered if you got my check and the gift I sent along?

It's going to take a bit for me to get back into the rhythm of talking about our trip! So forgive me as I post about something completely unimportant to get back into the mood...I planned this as a kind of transition post for myself...so bear with me...

When last I was sharing, we had attended the well-performed, seriously off-Broadway production of Chicago...which had started at 10:30 pm...and let out after midnight.

It was time for bed.

I LOVE the way that turndown service leaves your room for you to find when it is time to "go home" for the night:

P1100231_zpskn3uc2df.jpg

The lighting in the stateroom is subdued. There are LED lamps over the two framed artworks in the rooms. These are the lights that are left on. They have something of a blue cast to make them less intense than the white look of the other lighting. It's like walking into quiet time...it's very fitting for the way that you are likely feeling at the end of the day. Very conducive to continuing on in direction that is headed for sleep.

There might also be a friendly towel friend to greet you...this greeted me that night:

P1100091_zpsvtp6vtq2.jpg

I once entered into a back and forth action with the towel animals and Mousekeeping (as they were called in Disney). I think it gives the attendants a taste of what fun it is to find a terry cloth friend in your room...anyway...I placed my puppy friend on a pillow on the couch and set him up with the keyboard remote for the television (I don't know anything about this keyboard and why and how because I didn't use it...the puppy hogged it the entire time and wouldn't give it back). Our attendant thought this was hilarious: I know because he had to make a point of telling me that I cracked him up with my puppy's staging with the keyboard.

P1100113_zpsrio4jchj.jpg

I received several towel critters during the voyage...the puppy, the sting ray on the bed in the photo above, something that I can't quite identify next to the puppy:

P1100229_zpst5x7pjo4.jpg

And one of my favs...:

DSC01781_zpshifu8vnl.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with the towel animals. I love getting them, but they start to take over my space. I guess I'm a little like Marie Kondo in that I assign "feelings" to these silly things and I put them on my couch or wherever else I can find and then I start to lose some functionality in my room because of my temporary pets. I used to do this with my stuffed animals too.

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do with YOUR towel friends?

Back to the lighting in the room...

There are controls for the LED lighting and the bright overhead lighting at the entrance door and right above one of the nightstands by the bed. Very convenient. Also...there are reading lights at each end of the bed that are simply controlled with a rocker switch on the light itself.

Our plan for the next morning was to try breakfast in the MDR and see how that went...I'm saving the food discussion for another time...so I'll be back with some outfit photos next.

I hope Laurie is having fun!

I would love to see a photo of Anita's henna tattoo. I think they are beautiful.

Have been on hold at the library for the Marie Kondo book, and it's here! Yay! I mentioned it to our project manager while we were looking at plumbing and the woman at the store knew of it and chimed in, she really loved it.

I did my short weekend trip to MI with my rolling duffel. So glad I bought it. On the return flight they were checking all the roll-aboards, but I just tucked the wheels in and carried it on, no problem. I no sooner got home then my dad called that my mom was going up to ER for vertigo and a near fall. Many tests and phone calls later, and still no answers. Sheesh.

Visited my favorite stores while I was there. Christopher & Banks was having a sale and I got two pairs of brown work pants for $30!! So happy to find those. Also saw this beauty at JCPenney. If I didn't already have plenty of bathing suits, I would have tried it on:

http://www.jcpenney.com/liz-claiborne-twist-bandeau-1-piece-swimsuit/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003940055&N=508 1402 4294963480&Nao=48&pN=3&searchTerm=swim&topDim=Gender&topDimvalue=women&dimCombo=Gender%7CProduct+Type%7CColor%7C&dimComboVal=women%7Cswimwear+-+1+pc%7Cblue%7C&currentDim=Color&currentDimVal=blue&N=508 1402 4294963480&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP0414201417071959M.tif

And, I got this sweater at Younkers. I had a larger one similar to this before and it was a wardrobe staple. It goes with any shade of brown, so super versatile. I'm so happy to have one again!

cardigan.JPG.353314778ed46c7fd5d6054886d79265.JPG

MJC, that's the bathing suit I bought, but mine is a tankini & pink/grey! Fits really well, so I went back & bought the solid pink with grey piping.

I then went to the grand opening of Athleta! Oh my goodness, Anita, you're so right! The skort is amazing! I got it in black, the gray/green & a khaki one. I also bought a hot pink quarter zip rash guard -- the sale was too good to pass up ( the skorts were under $30 & the rash guard was $40). I'm seriously thinking about the neon yellow/green rash guard as the sale goes till Friday... Thank you for telling me about the skorts! Then, since I was out I stopped at Sears at the Lands End section & found a tropical print rash guard for $20! What a haul!!!

Anita I also pose the towel animals for photos...our room steward thought it was great. Melody

I am SO JEALOUS Melody! That's a steal price for that skort! Is that a special because of opening the new store? In store only kind of deal? I keep watching that skort for it to go on sale so that I can get the green one.

The rashguard is fantastic. I know that I want more. I want one in short sleeves for one. I wish we had such a sweet sale going on!

Mom has the rashguard too. She's had hers for a while. Her style is the first version of the current one...I think the current one is Pacifica II or similar...Mom's is the Pacifica. I stared at it on our trip...minor differences in some styling...but the point is that hers has held up very well. I think they are well made and worth the investment.

Day 3 held a very promising morning activity. I almost couldn't believe that there was an actual ZUMBA class being offered in the Royal Promenade at 9 AM.

As you might imagine, I'm pretty picky about my Zumba classes. And I'm very cautious with my activities with my knee. I did bring my knee brace with me on the cruise... Mom and I determined to meet at the Starbucks and then go into breakfast together. We would have a chance to see the Zumba class first and decide if it was a good one.

SO. Very exciting. The class was led by the Cruise Director, Jimmy. SO. He had just returned from time off of work and while he was on holiday, he got his Zumba license. I think that once upon a time ago he was somehow involved in dance...Mom? Do you remember? Anyway...this was his VERY FIRST ZUMBA CLASS! He was very excited.

The crowd was large. And excited.

I was a bit late to the beginning of class...so when I arrived at the Promenade, I found Mom participating in the class. The class was progressing well...he was doing a credible job of warming up the class. It was such a good low level movement for warm up that I also jumped in to participate, even without my brace. I was dressed for exercise because physical therapy was a possibility for me today...but Mom wasn't shod for exercise wearing her t-strap sandals. The class was only supposed to be a 30 minute class...so we decided that we would definitely attend a full class when we were fully prepared to do so...and we left to eat breakfast.

As I said...I'm not going to give a play by play. After wearing exercise clothes and swimming clothes, I doned my "normal clothes"...a newer green not-quite-maxi skirt, my new Target tank top, my tan t-strap sandals, and some actual jewelry. The necklace is a fav of mine...one of the closest things I have to a statement necklace...I've worn it and shown it before...it has multiple beaded strands with a Venetian glass pendant; I like to pair it with square amber stud earrings:

P1100114_zpsjw4mih41.jpg

(Most of my photos on the balcony have a decided blue cast to them...again not sure why...but it isn't especially flattering to the skin tone...)

You can see the necklace (and the square earrings in the circle of the necklace) in the top row, just left of center here:

P1090491_zps823a56e5.jpg

Mom is wearing one of the lovely skirts that I made for her. These have undergone quite an evolution over the years. I recently made the final alterations to them to give them all this flattering knee length:

P1100115_zps3f6tmxpj.jpg

We are pretty sure that the top isn't a Fire color...but it coordinates well with the skirt...and the style is super comfy. It is an Athleta top "Hidden Agenda Tank." It is an exercise bra (made to be seen) with the airy shirt attached to it:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/search.do?searchText=Hidden+Agenda+Tank

As the evening progressed...both Mom and I needed a hoodie. We didn't get a photo of Mom's, but here's my trusty yellow hoodie added to my outfit:

P1100125_zps3dgrbecg.jpg

The yellow helps to inject some Spring into this very Autumn colored outfit. I am also wearing another compression sleeve on my left leg...it's pretty amazing how helpful that sleeve is...especially in the evenings and as the day progresses and my leg muscles get a bit fatigued.

We were dressed appropriately but we could have dressed up a bit more. On this first "normal night" after Formal and Embarkation, we could see that, as always, there was a wide range of attire for the evening...and many, many ladies were wearing what I could label "urban evening" which means that they didn't look as casual as we did but they didn't look like they were going to work or church. They were dressed to "go out" and hit a bar and maybe do some dancing. A night on the town kind of outfit. This was so prevalent a look that I would call it the "norm" for ladies.

I am SO JEALOUS Melody! That's a steal price for that skort! Is that a special because of opening the new store? In store only kind of deal? I keep watching that skort for it to go on sale so that I can get the green one.

The rashguard is fantastic. I know that I want more. I want one in short sleeves for one. I wish we had such a sweet sale going on!

Mom has the rashguard too. She's had hers for a while. Her style is the first version of the current one...I think the current one is Pacifica II or similar...Mom's is the Pacifica. I stared at it on our trip...minor differences in some styling...but the point is that hers has held up very well. I think they are well made and worth the investment.

I was so excited the salesgirls were laughing at me! DD rolled her eyes at the skorts then said, I can teach in those & bought one in every color (she's a high school PE teacher). It was an instore grand opening special, place was packed, of course we live in Colorado where the outdoor lifestyle is really popular

I've decided to buy the rash guard in black & the neony green (that's an iffy), I like the fact that they're "stink free", good for traveling. Melody

Hi y'all! Just checking on quick since I have phone service. We were supposed to leave San Francisco at 5 and here it is 10...there is an issue with a gas turbine. Better to be in port than the middle of the ocean in this case. We are having a great time!!!

Anita, love the orange top with the glass pendant. You and your mom look so pulled together yet comfy. I'm looking forward to hearing about the Zumba class!

We enjoy our towel animals, too. Our recent cruise puppy moved around the room each day, and at turndown our steward always left him in some new "relaxing" position. It was fun.

It turns out there are THREE Athleta stores in Manhattan. None of them are near my usual haunts, but I think I will have to make a trek to one this summer. It turns out I wear my khaki skort so much, I could probably use more than one. I can't really tell from web shopping what will work for me, though, especially workout clothes. Most of my clothes shopping is done IRL unless it's a brand I'm familiar with and know where I fall in their sizes.

Melody, it sounds like you've scored some very fun summer clothes!

Barbara, it was fun to hear how excited you are about your November cruise. Isn't great when our travel plans come together and make it real?

I wonder if Laurie's ship ever left port last night? Maybe the RCI board will have some info.

Just checked and it appears they got it fixed in the middle of the night and are on their way, scheduled to be on time. Yay!

Edited by MJC
add info

Hi Ladies,

It's been awhile. I've been sick going on my fourth week with the flu, a sinus infection, and the most horrendous pink eye. The flu is gone, I'm still a little congested from the sinus infection but it's much better. However, the eyes are driving me crazy. I've never had pink eye before and didn't know how horrible it is. I'm seeing the eye doctor when I get back from visiting the folks because my vision is not that great. I'm hoping as the pink eye clears up the vision will return to normal. I mean I'm going on a month of this! Ugh.

I've been trying to catch up with you all...but it's a little overwhelming after being off the board for so long. I'll catch up when I can see a little better and things are so blurry. I did read a little of Anita's trip report and love it!

Margaret, so sorry to hear about your mom and hope all's well there now.

I'm leaving for FL to visit the folks tomorrow and can't wait. One of the reasons I haven't been on the board...and there are many...is that my mom had a minor heart attack two weeks ago. Thank goodness her angioplasty revealed no serious (at least for the moment) damage so she's being treated with medication. She dodged the bullet again this time.

I'm concerned with Dad's short term memory these days so I'll be able to better assess it on this visit and see how bad it really is. I'd like to see if the folks will let be get someone into the apt. once or twice a week to help them out. They've always resisted the idea but maybe now they'll be up for some help. We'll see.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say, "Hi!" We moved all of the DS's stuff back home this past weekend and we saw him off to Argentina. Through the miracles of technology we've already faced time with him a couple of times. He loves filling us in on what's happening on his trip. He did exceptionally well on a writing exam and wanted to share that with us. Yep, he's on his third day in Argentina and classes have already started. He also really likes his new roommate so that's more good news.

So, I'm off to FL. Happy sailing and traveling to all who are on their way somewhere. I'm sorry I've kind of lost track of everyone's trips. I hope to be back on the board full time soon. I miss all by cyber buddies on this board.

Shout out to ChollaChick, sorry we didn't get to meet up this time. Maybe in Aug. when we take the DS back to school.:D

Mousey, I hope you are finally on the mend. It sounds like a rough time for you. It is a big challenge, taking care of sick, elderly parents and not getting ill yourself. I understand what you mean, having to be there and see for yourself how someone is functioning. I'll be heading back to MI soon to see how much damage this latest round of medications has done to my mom's mental state. Her vertigo is clearing up and she's being released today, but the treatment has been bad for her Alzheimer's. I hope your mom is recovering too.

I don't want to interrupt Anita's trip report, but I have quite a few spring photos piling up, so I'm going to post some now. I don't usually think of spring as a good time for EARTH finds, but I see now that I did pull quite a few things out of my usual magazines. Here goes.

Vuitton, fun print:

Vuitton.jpg

There's a ball gown version of this Ralph Lauren that is stunning, but short is fun too:

Ralph%20Lauren.jpg

I don't remember who this is, but if I were younger I would wear it in a heartbeat. Maybe it's the model's athletic build, but I think this is an Anita dress:

RedFringe.jpg

Proenza Schouler, again fringe with black shoes:

ProenzaSchouler.jpg

I love how Prada always throws in a "difficult" color, like this acid green:

Prada2.jpg

Cute dresses from Michael Herz, who I've never heard of before now:

MichaelHerz1.jpg

More to come...

... and here they are.

I know this Lanvin is black, but black with gold is so classy and this print is so lovely:

Lanvin.jpg

Michael Herz again:

MichaelHerz2.jpg

For me, for my body shape, this is the PERFECT coat, though PRADA is never in my budget:

Prada.jpg

Fun fall fashions ahead with Jason Wu:

JasonWu.jpg

Yeah, it has black, but also some animal print! From Kensie:

Kensie.jpg

I love every item in this ad from J Crew, especially the shoes:

JCrew.jpg

Ok, enough procrastinating, time to do some chores!

I'm not surprised at all to see the fringe in your pics Margaret! Everyone will just have to wait until we get to Malaga and Barcelona...sneak preview says that there is fringe on the window displays.

I love that dress. Definitely an Anita dress! Working with Kim on her African fabric was such a wonderful thing for me...it took forever for me to get the projects done because of life...but it reminded me of how much I enjoy the whole sewing process. I have always had a desire to make more of my own clothing...of a certain type anyway. Sewing a version of that dress for myself would be a great project...I think that I might even have some fabric that would be appropriate...assuming that I still have it...that it made the cut through several moves.

I love the print on the pant outfit...but think that I would look like I was wearing pjs!

I find the tone on tone Ralph Lauren outfit to be super attractive. Such a sophisticated look...I don't have very many solids in my wardrobe...I have more patterns, especially in skirts...but this look...I wonder if I could make a similar tone on tone outfit. Hmmm.

I've never heard of Michael Herz...but I wouldn't expect to as I'm not really up on designer names. Those dresses are very fun! I like the mix of fabric on the shirt dress...I wonder if that is just the wrong side and the right side of that particular fabric? It's a great look regardless. I like how it's subtle in this dress. We found a store in Spain where the mix of fabrics is NOT subtle....but very, very fun...(more on that later)...this dress seems like a more refined take on a similar concept. I like it a lot.

I do enjoy gold on black...you'll see my new shirt to attest to that in an up-coming post...

I've been wearing that black skort so much. I pulled it out yesterday to wear to the award ceremony at the school. I paired it with a normal, fun shirt and felt like the perfect nice casual. I know black isn't supposed to be the best...but like the Jason Wu outfits...mixing black into a scheme that otherwise works is a good look. I admit that I like the sharp contrast...deep brown wouldn't have quite the same effect.

LOVE the use of that print on the dress. I used similar fabric to make some skirts for Mom. Very fun. I think they call it a border print because it's like the one side has a border. I guess the key is having the fabric be wide enough so that the dress would be long enough. That dress would be just too short for me. I wonder about having a seam around the bust (like making an A-line seam just under?) and having the border fabric form the comfy skirt and then having more of the same fabric (cut from the similar side) as a bodice for the dress. That would be a fun dress project. A-line flare...like my plum colored dress is a really flattering silhouette for me...and more comfy than the straight look. I wonder if there is a zipper on the back or side of that dress?

I like how the animal print shoes don't really match. They are their own thing and because the outfit is all solid...you can get away with shoes that are just fun, and slightly "off" if you KWIM.

One reason I am taking so long with the trip report is because it's a fun conversation to have over time. And also, I want everyone to continue to share and talk over and around my trip. So please...everyone should continue to share and post. I'm fully expecting Laurie to come back and start sharing right away. No need to wait for me to be done. :D

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. We are taking it easy over here and just enjoying time off and being home. We've been away for so much! Or, at least, I have.

The school year is over and today is the first day of summer. I will totally brag and be the proud Momma...DS was recognized for his academic and service excellence at the awards ceremony yesterday. He leaves 3 years of middle school having achieved all A's for all 3 years while taking the highest level of courses available at the school. OMG...my DS is a rising freshman!!

Had to share, our DGS is on the far right of this picture, these are some his theatre/dance/choral arts buds. DGS was the Salutatorian & received 19 different scholarships- very proud of himImageUploadedByForums1432337536.841949.jpg.447b0271ad151bbe0618cf11529d020f.jpg. Doesn't that picture just shout celebrate! Melody

Edited by awhfy

Hello Everyone. I'm back from a wonderful cruise. I have a lot to share, but it will be a bit before I can.

My sister improved greatly in the first few days I was away. She even used a walker. She took a turn for the worst on Thursday morning though. She passed away yesterday morning while I was at the airport. I'm still in shock, but grateful that she is no longer suffering.

Hello Everyone. I'm back from a wonderful cruise. I have a lot to share, but it will be a bit before I can.

My sister improved greatly in the first few days I was away. She even used a walker. She took a turn for the worst on Thursday morning though. She passed away yesterday morning while I was at the airport. I'm still in shock, but grateful that she is no longer suffering.

Thoughts and prayers are sent your way. I'm sorry.