Hop On Hop Off Bus

psblin99

Where?

I am going to guess Rome. It has the benefits you state, however, in Rome, due to locations and small streets, the bus can't get close to a number of landmarks. You can, of course, get on and off and walk to the landmarks. Our experience is major tourist areas, it can be hard to get back on again.

Where?

I am going to guess Rome. It has the benefits you state, however, in Rome, due to locations and small streets, the bus can't get close to a number of landmarks. You can, of course, get on and off and walk to the landmarks. Our experience is major tourist areas, it can be hard to get back on again.

Yes I do mean Rome. What do you mean hard to get on? Crowded?

Where?

Oh my friend again from Petaluma. I loved living there.

Watch out, there are very strong opinions on HoHo buses LOL.

I think that they are a very good idea. in a couple hours you get an overall view of the City and you can then decide where you wish to go, as well as having an idea of the distances between sites.

Anyway, for Rome, here is a website that may help.

http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm

As well, here is a very helpful person with lots of advice and information about Rome.

***************************/ if the CC censors get to this, it is www dot roninrome dot com

Seems like a great way to see a lot. We don't want a guide just do not want to navigate. Any thoughts?

We used Romeinlimo for all of our tours in Rome. They are not guides, but the drivers are extremely knowledgeable and informed.

The vehicles are Mercedes sedans (or vans for larger groups) and they get right up close to all the sites.

The driver will drop you off very near the site, give you time to look around, and then tell you a designated place where he will pick you up. Then, off to the next place! Your driver will have ice cold water for you and an air conditioned car. :)

I suggest the City Highlights Tour of Rome to see so much in one day!

http://www.romeinlimo.com/

We met some people on our cruise who did the Hop On Hop Off bus and they were disappointed. They said it was nearly impossible to "hop back on" when they were ready; always had to wait in the hot sun for the next bus. They also said the headsets were difficult to hear and the sound was scratchy.

Enjoy your visit to Rome. It is amazing.

There are a couple of issues with the HOHO bus in Rome. The first has already been mentioned, that it can't get close to most of the sites, so you really don't see much.

Second, if you actually do the hop-off part, you can waste a lot of time waiting around to hop back on.

The historical center of Rome is quite compact - for the same money you'd spend on two HOHO tickets, you could hire a cab driver who could give you a better tour of the same route, but actually get in closer to the sites.

Yes I do mean Rome. What do you mean hard to get on? Crowded?

Hard to get back on. Or, perhaps, if you are trying to get on in the middle, hard to get on to get started.

Oh my friend again from Petaluma. I loved living there.

When did you live here?

I haven't done the HoHo bus in Rome but I seem to remember a post a couple of months ago talking about that they actually walked to the sites and beat the bus there. If you have a central Rome location and a map, that seems more condusive to getting to everything.

Thankfully we're in Rome pre-cruise so have some extra time, but we are doing some tours with Rome in Limo and others we are seeing ourselves walking. I'm really not anticipating doing any bus except for the day we meet our guide at the Vatican.

We are two elderly ladies with mobility issues and our cruise was the last two weeks of October. I purchased the HO HO 48 hours pass from viator.com before I ever left the US, in US $$. I had been to Rome before and knew the distances involved and what I wanted to show my friend. We were at a hotel near the Vatican, so caught the HO HO in front of the Vatican. They all line up there. I think there were like 4 different companies. We did the Northern section the first day. Leaving at approx 9:00 am and back to the hotel at about 5:00 pm. We stayed on the bus to the Colliseum and then did the Southern section of the city the second day with about the same time span.

It is true, the bus doesn't get right to the site, but it sure does save your legs and back getting you close to the site. You will do plenty of walking in Rome anyway, so we felt the HO HO was great. We had no trouble getting back on or finding the stops. The map on their site shows where the stops are located and there are small signs at the stops. The only downside was when we reached Termini, there was about a 20 minute wait before they left on the rest of the route, but we even enjoyed the people watching from the bus.

We used the HO HO as transportation around the city. There was traffic, but we had two full days, so weren't concerned with how long it took to complete the route. I like HO HOs, and have used them in New York, San Francisco, Sydney Australia, etc.

Others have posted Rome is compact and easy to walk yourself, but if you have the slightest impairment, the walk can be exhausting. And remember Rome was built on 7 hills, so it isn't all level walking.

Remember to have a Plan "A", but also have a Plan "B" for when Plan A falls apart. That happened to us a lot on our 21 day trip. No matter how well I researched and planned, Plan "A" sometimes didn't work out. And I didn't have the forethought to have a Plan "B". And take half the clothes you think you will need and twice the money. We each have to do what is best for us. Have fun planning your trip, then enjoy Rome once you get there.

Wow- awhile ago. We didn't move here until 1985.

I have been back a few times. Took my daughter to China last year and spent a few days in the Bay area. When I 1st moved there I rented for 6 monthe in Inverness. You live in Gods country.

We are two elderly ladies with mobility issues and our cruise was the last two weeks of October. I purchased the HO HO 48 hours pass from viator.com before I ever left the US, in US $$. I had been to Rome before and knew the distances involved and what I wanted to show my friend. We were at a hotel near the Vatican, so caught the HO HO in front of the Vatican. They all line up there. I think there were like 4 different companies. We did the Northern section the first day. Leaving at approx 9:00 am and back to the hotel at about 5:00 pm. We stayed on the bus to the Colliseum and then did the Southern section of the city the second day with about the same time span.

It is true, the bus doesn't get right to the site, but it sure does save your legs and back getting you close to the site. You will do plenty of walking in Rome anyway, so we felt the HO HO was great. We had no trouble getting back on or finding the stops. The map on their site shows where the stops are located and there are small signs at the stops. The only downside was when we reached Termini, there was about a 20 minute wait before they left on the rest of the route, but we even enjoyed the people watching from the bus.

We used the HO HO as transportation around the city. There was traffic, but we had two full days, so weren't concerned with how long it took to complete the route. I like HO HOs, and have used them in New York, San Francisco, Sydney Australia, etc.

Others have posted Rome is compact and easy to walk yourself, but if you have the slightest impairment, the walk can be exhausting. And remember Rome was built on 7 hills, so it isn't all level walking.

Remember to have a Plan "A", but also have a Plan "B" for when Plan A falls apart. That happened to us a lot on our 21 day trip. No matter how well I researched and planned, Plan "A" sometimes didn't work out. And I didn't have the forethought to have a Plan "B". And take half the clothes you think you will need and twice the money. We each have to do what is best for us. Have fun planning your trip, then enjoy Rome once you get there.

Thanks Eleanor. I am a world traveler as well and have learned many of your tips. The last two big ones Egypt and China were on tours. Egypt was private and China was with about 12 people. I have discovered I prefer to move at my pace and only need a driver of some sort. The HO HO seems perfect for me.

I know you're refering to rome, but in case your travel plans ever take you to Barcelona, Spain, the HO HO bus there was great. :-) We used it as our primary source of transportation, and used their subway as our secondary source.

(yeah i know it's not in italy but...it's about HOHO ;-) )

I know you're refering to rome, but in case your travel plans ever take you to Barcelona, Spain, the HO HO bus there was great. :-) We used it as our primary source of transportation, and used their subway as our secondary source.

Thanks we will be in Madrid.

Maybe it's a time of year thing? When we were in Barcelona in the summer the HOHO bus was a huge waste of time and money. Long lines at the transfer stop (took an hour to transfer from one line to the other), crowds at stops when only a few people could get on each bus, and buses that drove by without stopping because they were full. Half of our family had bought two day passes and wound up eating the cost of the second day rather than spend all day not seeing anything. This was in July.

We have just returned form 4 days in Rome. I recommend the normal bus !! We had absolutely no problem touring the sites by bus, seeing the same sights as the HoHo and for a much cheaper price. It is a poultry 4 Euros for the entire day transport on the buses, metro, trams. I really cannot fault it.

The only trouble you might have is obtaining the ticket from the suggested stalls. On day one we could not obtain the day pass, only the 1 euro ticket, which permits unlimited stops/changes for 75 mins. This actually worked out ok because as stated before lots of the sites are fairly close to each other. The other three days we had a Roma pass. Not once on any bus did we have to produce our ticket.

The Metro is also so simple. For me Rome public transport was wonderful and easy.

We were two 40 y/o and an 8 y/o. If you can read a map you can read and work out the bus routes.

We have just returned form 4 days in Rome. I recommend the normal bus !! We had absolutely no problem touring the sites by bus, seeing the same sights as the HoHo and for a much cheaper price. It is a poultry 4 Euros for the entire day transport on the buses, metro, trams. I really cannot fault it.

The only trouble you might have is obtaining the ticket from the suggested stalls. On day one we could not obtain the day pass, only the 1 euro ticket, which permits unlimited stops/changes for 75 mins. This actually worked out ok because as stated before lots of the sites are fairly close to each other. The other three days we had a Roma pass. Not once on any bus did we have to produce our ticket.

The Metro is also so simple. For me Rome public transport was wonderful and easy.

We were two 40 y/o and an 8 y/o. If you can read a map you can read and work out the bus routes.

Won't the BIRG ticket (9,60 for round trip train) also include use of metro and bus?

Won't the BIRG ticket (9,60 for round trip train) also include use of metro and bus?

Yes, for a port day visitor the five-zone BIRG would cover regional train to and from Civitavecchia and Rome, as well as public transit within Rome. Someone already in Rome would only need the 4 euro BIG ticket.

The 5-zone BIRG is only 9 Euro: (info below comes from this site: http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=14)

BIRG - Integrated Regional Daily Ticket

How much does it cost?

The cost varies depending on the number of travel zones.

lazio.gifThe Zones

€2.50 for 1 zone

€4.50 for 2 zones

€6.00 for 3 zones

€7.00 for 4 zones

€9.00 for 5 zones

€10.50 for 6 zones

€10.50 for 7 zones

find the zone for your municipality

How long does it last?

Until midnight (24.00) of the day of its validation and for an unrestricted number of journeys within the travel zones stated.

Where can I buy it?

- ticket offices and shops

Where can I use it?

On public transport within Rome:

- on buses, trams, trolleybuses and Cotral coaches

- on the metro lines A and B

- on Met.Ro regional trains: Rome-Lido, Rome-Viterbo, Rome-Pantano

- on Trenitalia regional trains (travelling second class)

There had been so much talk of pick pockets, etc that I felt safer doing the HO HO bus, rather than local transport. I felt if it was a choice between 1 EUR or 23 EUR, the ruffians would take the 1 EUR. May or may not be true, but I know we never had a problem with anyone trying to rob us, or pick pocket us. We got to go where we wanted to go, and see what we wanted to see. The only thing really lacking was eating. My friend doesn't even eat Italian food, so it presented a real problem. I did get pizza down her once, but that was about it. And sandwiches were difficult too, because the bread was hard and we had both had dental work done prior to our trip.

But as for seeing Rome, we sure did. Even using the HO HO buses, we walked our feet off. After leaving Circus Maximus, up the hill, then across a street, and through the embassy row (actually almost got arrested by MPs for trying to take a photo of the US embassy), finally found a church called Sabina (when we saw the sign, decided it was prophesy as our friend left behind in California is named Sabina) so wanted to take some photos for her. They were actually filming a movie there that day, so we saw some Italian movie stars. Then to a terrace at the back of the church that overlooked all of Rome. It was amazing. Then sadly, we had to traverse back the way we had come and that was a long walk back to the HO HO stop.

And I sure don't agree with the poster that said "if you have a good map you can traverse Rome". Streets aren't on the map, they are named different than what's on the map, streets dead end when the map shows them going through, etc. Map makers never dreamed of a city like Rome. I had two maps from home and the one the hotel gave us. The one the hotel gave us was actually a little better because it was large enough print to read. And I also don't agree that central Rome is compact. It might seem to be if you are young and fit, but 10 or 20 blocks when you have a disability is not easy.

Have a great time exploring Rome, however you decide to do it.

Maybe it's a time of year thing? When we were in Barcelona in the summer the HOHO bus was a huge waste of time and money. Long lines at the transfer stop (took an hour to transfer from one line to the other), crowds at stops when only a few people could get on each bus, and buses that drove by without stopping because they were full. Half of our family had bought two day passes and wound up eating the cost of the second day rather than spend all day not seeing anything. This was in July.

Could be. I went in later october, towards the end of the cruise season, matter of fact there was only 1 sailing of my ship after mine and that was the transatlantic back to the US, so maybe towards the end of the season you see less activity?

I'm sure it also has to do with how many ships are in port. We didn't have that many, I don't think. We got off the ship on 10/17 or 10/18 and I believe the one that boarded when we got off was setting off that day. So maybe people need to use the websites that tell you which ships are in port on the days they are, in order to determine if the HOHO might be bad. We did our sightseeing the day the ship would have been gone, as we got off and did 1 night in a land hotel.

Archived