Tea Report: Afternoon/Elegant Tea Changes

Lsimon

I saw a thread a while back indicating that they were charging for high tea which was called a Champagne Tea. This was shortly after we were on the Century when they offered a no-extra charge Elegant Tea for Elite Captain's Club members.

Since we are just back from the Eclipse I thought I'd relay what we found on last week's sailing:

They still had the Elegant Tea for Elite Captains Club members. This was held in the Tuscan Grille. However, I must say the quality of the service and items served has declined.. They used to have a great formal white gloved service once or twice a cruise in the main dining room each cruise, one of which was open to all. On this cruise there were no white gloves, the staff brought around meager trays which were much less substantial than in the past. The only sandwiches they offered were a few that all had meat on them (no cucumber, egg, shrimp or similar sandwiches) and there were very few dessert items. The scones they served were only about 1 1/2 inches wide and were served plated with a dollop of whipped cream and jam on the plate. Nothing like the huge scones served in the past from a cart by a white gloved waiter who offered nice cream (probably not clotted) and jam from proper serving bowls of the stuff. The staff was trying to do a nice job but not really trained in tea service.

They also advertised a Champagne High Tea at Murano on the last sea day. This carried a charge of $25 with a glass of Champagne or $19/pp without. The menu looked nice but we didn't attend due to the price.

(Click here for a link to a copy of the menu)

I did not see a general elegant tea available for those who were not Elite Captain's Club in the MDR as they used to offer. They did offer "afternoon tea" in the buffet - a collection of tea sandwiches and other snacks, including some of the small scones.

I really miss the elegant tea that was once offered to all in the dining room of the ships once or twice a cruise which was truly elegant.

We're on the Constellation for a much longer cruise in a few weeks and I'll try and remember to report back on what was offered on that cruise when we return.

Interesting. On my Eclipse cruise in November, the elite tea was held in the Moonlight Sonata. The string quartet played, the waiters wore white gloves and served the typical tea food, including some more premium tea sandwiches and snacks. The food was elaborately laid out on large tables in the center of the MDR. Only four people - myself included - attended. :( The Captain's Circle hostess stood at the door checking attire (but not cards - I had a first time cruiser sitting at my table who thought the tea was open to everyone). I think the dress code turned more than a few away. Regardless, it seemed like such a waste of both food and energy on the staff's part.

I don't remember ever seeing an elegant tea offered in the MDR for all, and I've been sailing Celebrity for many years. It's always just been small snacks at the buffet.

I think I remember seeing a press release recently about Celebrity trying a more British-influenced tea (for a fee) on Eclipse when she returns to Southampton, so we might see that soon.

I don't remember ever seeing an elegant tea offered in the MDR for all, and I've been sailing Celebrity for many years.

We enjoyed elegant tea in the MDR on Constellation and Summit (2004 & 2005); I'd have to check with DW to see where and what it was on cruises after that, but we did miss having this whilst on Solstice in January. The tea in Murano was on our radar, but we didn't get around to it.

Bummer, Larry. Loved the scones and cucumber sandwiches.

Me too - how disappointing. Our last two cruises we did the Elite Elegant Tea and we loved it.

Celebrity is making it very hard for me to remain loyal with all these cutbacks on food. That's one of the reasons we fell in love with cruising in the first place - the great food. I know for some people they don't care too much about that but we are big foodies.

Me too - how disappointing. Our last two cruises we did the Elite Elegant Tea and we loved it.

Celebrity is making it very hard for me to remain loyal with all these cutbacks on food. That's one of the reasons we fell in love with cruising in the first place - the great food. I know for some people they don't care too much about that but we are big foodies.

Hi Anne Maria!

I've got to say that while the tea was a small disappointment our cruise last week on the Eclipse was absolutely wonderful and the food was out of this world. We took this as a last minute winter get away on nice last minute pricing on a guarantee. Since it was just the two of us we decided to take Select dining and planned to eat most of our meals in the specialty restaurants. This did add a lot to our bargain cruise price but as a result we had a foodie dream cruise. The S class specialty restaurants are just out of this world. Also, while we only had dinner in the MDR twice (both formal nights) we had really great meals there. I'll say the beef fillet I had on the second formal night was the best peice of beef I've ever had in the MDR on Celebrity - a great meal.

Overall our cruise on the Eclipse was so fantastic I almost feel guilty about minor complaints about things like the tea. Main reason I posted this is because I remember the subject coming up a few times in the past 6 months or so and I thought I'd update things a bit. Given the choice between some of the food we've had on prior cruises with the nicer Elite, or MDR Elegant, tea and the food on the Eclipse - I'll take the latter.

So don't hesitate to try one of these wonderful ships when you get a chance again - just temper your expectations a bit as far as the tea goes.

Thanks for the information Larry. We found the exact same situation when we were on Solstice in October and ended up leaving the Elite Elegant Tea in Tuscan Grille and heading up to the tea in the buffet. I'll know not to pack an "extra nice" outfit for this event for our upcoming Equinox cruise! Did they still have the brunch in the MDR?

I saw a thread a while back indicating that they were charging for high tea which was called a Champagne Tea. This was shortly after we were on the Century when they offered a no-extra charge Elegant Tea for Elite Captain's Club members.

Since we are just back from the Eclipse I thought I'd relay what we found on last week's sailing:

They still had the Elegant Tea for Elite Captains Club members. This was held in the Tuscan Grille. However, I must say the quality of the service and items served has declined.. They used to have a great formal white gloved service once or twice a cruise in the main dining room each cruise, one of which was open to all. On this cruise there were no white gloves, the staff brought around meager trays which were much less substantial than in the past. The only sandwiches they offered were a few that all had meat on them (no cucumber, egg, shrimp or similar sandwiches) and there were very few dessert items. The scones they served were only about 1 1/2 inches wide and were served plated with a dollop of whipped cream and jam on the plate. Nothing like the huge scones served in the past from a cart by a white gloved waiter who offered nice cream (probably not clotted) and jam from proper serving bowls of the stuff. The staff was trying to do a nice job but not really trained in tea service.

They also advertised a Champagne High Tea at Murano on the last sea day. This carried a charge of $25 with a glass of Champagne or $19/pp without. The menu looked nice but we didn't attend due to the price.

(Click here for a link to a copy of the menu)

I did not see a general elegant tea available for those who were not Elite Captain's Club in the MDR as they used to offer. They did offer "afternoon tea" in the buffet - a collection of tea sandwiches and other snacks, including some of the small scones.

I really miss the elegant tea that was once offered to all in the dining room of the ships once or twice a cruise which was truly elegant.

We're on the Constellation for a much longer cruise in a few weeks and I'll try and remember to report back on what was offered on that cruise when we return.

Thanks for the posting. I enjoy an afternoon"cuppa", didn't see Lemon curd on the menu-my favorite. Anyone know if High Tea is offered on the Solstice?

Thanks

Carole

On Eclipse, January sailing, one afternoon in MDR, there was an Elegant Tea (open to all passengers) and it was just wonderful. No extra charge for this. I will say attendance was sparse -- at dinner, the couple next to us said they didn't know about it. It was not publicized alot but was noted on the daily (we knew to watch for it having sailed with Celebrity b4).

There were cucumber sandwiches, scones, baba au rum (downright sinful) -- the service was just as I remembered lots of variety of "tea" food.

... Did they still have the brunch in the MDR?
Yes

...Is the champagne tea held in the Tuscan Grille on all S-class ships?

The Champagne Tea (extra charge) was in Murano. The Elite tea (No charge) was in Tuscan Grill

I find it interesting to hear that people complain about portions on a cruise ship. For example if the scone isn't big enough for you, you can ask for another one.

It is hard to believe that people go hungry on cruises due to a lack of food options. If you're still hungry before dinner after your breakfast, lunch, high tea etc. you're doing something wrong.

We have just come back from our wonderful Carribean cruise on Constellation. High Tea was served once and for Elite member only in the MDR. It was beautiful with cucumber sandwiches and scones, cream and jam served separately. We enjoyed it much more than on SOLSTICE where it was held at the Tuscan Grill. As you mention, there was not much choice and the"High Tea" atmosphere was completely lacking. Just no comparison to our last experience on Constellation. You will certainly enjoy Constellation very much, IMO, she is simply the best Celebrity ship as far as service and food are concerned.

after experiencing a the great afternoon tea event on QM2 in its ballroom, tea on other other ships can't compare favoably..... we did enoy the Elite tea once on Solstice but have not gone back recently..it comes at the end of the cruise & we are just too stuffed by then!!

I find it interesting to hear that people complain about portions on a cruise ship. For example if the scone isn't big enough for you, you can ask for another one.

It is hard to believe that people go hungry on cruises due to a lack of food options. If you're still hungry before dinner after your breakfast, lunch, high tea etc. you're doing something wrong.

I did not notice a complaint in Larry's report... it was simply an observation and comparison to Elegant Teas in the past. Of course you can ask for another scone, and I don't believe anyone has mentioned going hungry. There was a definite change in the ambiance, the servers were very pleasant, but no longer wore the more formal attire which really contributed to the overall "elegance" of the tea, and the lack of variety was surprising.

We have just come back from our wonderful Carribean cruise on Constellation. High Tea was served once and for Elite member only in the MDR. It was beautiful with cucumber sandwiches and scones, cream and jam served separately. We enjoyed it much more than on SOLSTICE where it was held at the Tuscan Grill. As you mention, there was not much choice and the"High Tea" atmosphere was completely lacking. Just no comparison to our last experience on Constellation. You will certainly enjoy Constellation very much, IMO, she is simply the best Celebrity ship as far as service and food are concerned.

It will be interesting to see what the tea is like on the Constellation. It has always been one of my very favorite things to do; it always seemed to me to be a very special event. We have a special place in our hearts for the Constellation; she is the ship we have spent the most time on and I am looking forward to being back on her in a few weeks.

The complaint was about the style and manner of service, not the quantity of food. A formal Afternoon Tea is partially about the style and atmosphere - otherwise there is no reason to have anything other than the tea offered at the buffet.

I am sad to say that our experience in Murano at the Champagne tea was a major disappointment. Luckily it was the only one of our cruise. It would have been disappointing to me at $5/pp, so at $25/pp it was a major disappointment. For the extra cover I expected a much better selection of sandwiches, pastries, scones and tea frankly. The teas were mediocre, the sandwiches not tasty, the pastries dry and boring, and the scones small and also very dry. Also for $25/pp I would have expected a decent label of champagne, but it was the house champagne. I was not impressed at all as you can see. I would say the servers and atmosphere (including string quartet) were excellent, but what they were serving was not. I have had much better teas for less in land hotels. We were on Solstice in January (16-23). The tea started at 2:30, our reservation was for 2:45, and I can say in the over 75 minutes we were there (we chatted extensively with our servers who also were our servers for dinner the night before at Murano) the restaurant never even approached half full.

Most other cruise lines dont hold a high tea, it was/is something that set Celebrity apart. I am glad they are still continuing w/ it. Even if the portions are smaller.

Archived