Civitavecchia to Vatican Museums which train stop

jonj

We have decide to go into Rome on our Civitavecchia port day and want to make our first stop the Vaticam Museums, not the Basilica. Which train station should we get off at when arriving into Rome?

We don't want to have to go into the main square and walk all the way around to the Museum entrance. Is there a different stop other than the San Pietro one that looks like it leaves you on the opposite side of where the Museum entrance is?

Also after the Sistine Chapel I have read that there is an exit, not marked as an exit, that will take you right to the Basilica without having to make the long trek around the building. Can someone give more information on this?

TIA

Also after the Sistine Chapel I have read that there is an exit, not marked as an exit, that will take you right to the Basilica without having to make the long trek around the building. Can someone give more information on this?

TIA

I don't know what stop you would want, but I can tell you that this exit is only for tour guides and their clients. They seemed to be enforcing this when we were there last week. YMMV.

We have decide to go into Rome on our Civitavecchia port day and want to make our first stop the Vaticam Museums, not the Basilica. Which train station should we get off at when arriving into Rome?

We don't want to have to go into the main square and walk all the way around to the Museum entrance. Is there a different stop other than the San Pietro one that looks like it leaves you on the opposite side of where the Museum entrance is?

TIA

You use the same train stop for the Vatican and the Basilica, San Pietro. It is about a 15 minute walk to St Peters entrance and another 5-10 to the entrance to the Vatican Museum. You could get a taxi or a bus to eliminate some of the walking but either way you will go right by the Basilica. Another option would be to got to Termini and take the metro back toward the Vatican but that would not seem to be very efficient.

There is a "secret" exit that is supossed to be restricted to tour groups leaving the Sistine Chapel, my recollection is that it is the far right corner of the chapel but I am not 100% sure that is correct. I am sure someone will correct me if that is wrong.

Kirk

You're not going to like the answer, I'm afraid.

Coming from Civitavecchia, you'll be on the FR5 regional line. The closest stop to the Vatican is Roma San Pietro, which is about 1.2 miles from the entrance to the museums.

There is a train station closer (about three quarters of a mile from the museums entrance); however, I don't think the time and confusion of getting there is worth it.

You can see on this map (http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4). You'd get off the FR5 line at Roma San Pietro and switch to the FR3 line heading toward Viterbo for one stop to Viale Aurelia. Be careful to note that this IS NOT Roma Aurelia, which is a different station altogether.

The Viale Aurelia station is three quarters of a mile from the museums entrance, or you could get on the metro for one stop to Cipro and be only a couple of blocks from the entrance.

I know Rome pretty well and could do this fairly easily, but I don't think it's a great plan for the occasional (or worse, first time) visitor.

Archived