Late season: Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm

TimInOhio

I am planning an Alaskan cruise for my family in late season 2012. The Golden Princess will alternate Inside Passage itineraries, sailing Tracy Arm one week, then Glacier Bay the next week. Any advantages or disadvantages to either during late season? Thanks!

TimInOhio

I'd pick Glacier Bay during any part of the cruise season. (For reference, I've done Glacier Bay twice - June and August, Hubbard Glacier twice - July and August, and Tracy Arm once in June, but that was on the all day Adventure Bound small bost excursion.) Glacier Bay is a National Park - so it already has the "stamp" of being someplace special. The Glacier Bay experience lasts 7 to 8 hours within the Bay itself. Besides several glaciers, you will see spectacular mountains and have the "chance" of seeing various wildlife. Tracy Arm is a fjord (very beautiful) with the twin Sawyer Glaciers at the end - but, even if the cruise ships get within sight of a glacier, the entire trip is less than 4 hours. Now, if you have a chance to do the trip with Adventure Bound and spend an hour and a half about 1200 feet from the face of the South Sawyer Glacier watching the calving - do it!!

I went to GB last Sept. on the Carnival Spirit. It was a spectacular day. You are there the entire day with a Park Ranger providing commentary and at least one more on the ship answering questions and giving presentations. One great thing about being there late is you can get really close to the Johns Hopkins Glacier. It is a protected area much of the summer. We got very close.

Jen in SoCal

I am planning an Alaskan cruise for my family in late season 2012. The Golden Princess will alternate Inside Passage itineraries, sailing Tracy Arm one week, then Glacier Bay the next week. Any advantages or disadvantages to either during late season? Thanks!

TimInOhio

Doesn't matter, late or early, want the best glaciers it's "Glacer" Bay

TimInOhio

Another consideration, IF Glacier Bay is the last cruise going third week of Sept. You have a slight weather edge and slightly more daylight, going the week prior. BUT it depends on the schedule as well for Tracy Arm. Always superior are the add on ship excursion in Tracy Arm, but they don't usually operate through the end of season.

So, overall, Glacier Bay is superior. Of course, you also need to compare route and port times, along with the date.

Archived