So does anyone NOT like a balcony?

GreenZolie

Some will be happy staying at Motel 8 or Days Inn, I myself would not. Some love inside cabins, again I myself hate it. I cruise once a year or so, and always have found great deals on a balcony. Off the 6 day freedom last month and paid $550 pp for balcony and I am on the Dream in May for $660 pp for a balcony, but thats for 3 people for the Dream.

Some can go to a nice hotel on the beach and not get a oveanview room, doesnt make sense to me. So for the little I pay for a balcony, its getting an oceanfront room for a week, or looking at 4 dark walls. Easy choise, In all my cruises I have yet to have a bad neighbor, if they did smoke it was never when i was on my balcony. Nothing like seeing the beautiful islands and ocean as you are in a robe with a drink in hand.

We had a balcony on the Legend and we loved it. I doubt we will ever book one again, though. It was really nice, but in my opinion, it wasn't worth the money. We have 2 cruises booked this summer and together they cost less than the one on the Legend. Also, we only sat out there about 4 or 5 times on the 7day sailing. We thought we would sit out there all the time, but once we got on board, there were the ports, activities, and new friends to hang out with.

If the price is affordable for you, I would say book it to try it out at least once. If it's quite a bit more than you're wanting to pay, I think you'll have JUST as much fun on your cruise in a different room.

HTH. :)

That's the way I feel, too. I've been in them all and didn't feel the balcony justified the extra cost. Had one for Alaska and was too cold to enjoy it. I had more fun sitting in the lounge with hot chocolate watching the wildlife through the glass window. When we went to the Margerie Glacier it was more fun to be on the upper decks with the crowd.

To each his own, I guess. Interior is fine with me and when I want to look outside, I go to the Lido and mingle.

I'm with ya, the balcony is over rated.....we used it but not worth what it could mean to booking additional cruises.

Last I think 4 cruises have been lido Balcony. The boss wont let me book OV or inside.I do like it though we dont have to go outside of our cabin to see the views.We also like that we can get fresh air (we both have asthma),and when she wants to nap I sit outside and have a cocktail or two and people watch or just look around

Balconies are nice if you can afford them

-and if you're not prone to height worries and/or motion sickness (if located far forward or aft)

but by and large a nice Ocean View cabin on a lower deck is probably better value for money

with minimal motion-problems if any. ;)

We've had two balconies,now.. and yes it's nice to be able to get out there for photographs

or to see what's happening on the pier (late-comers running like mad)

and I wouldn't kick a balcony cabin out of bed if I got it as an upgrade.

Those who fool themselves with talk of

Once you go Balcony you can never go back

are indeed fooling themselves! ;)

Our last cabin was a very comfortable Ocean View on Caribbean Princess

which we loved -and didn't particularly miss the balcony!

Our next cruise will be a lowly interior :eek:

which we're sure we'll survive somehow!! :D

Not for us anti-social, overly stubborn type of people. I won't cruise without one - not fooling myself either. I am out on it in the wind and rain even. I use it more than all the other areas of the ship combined. If I won a cruise in anything other than a balcony room, and was not allowed to pay the difference to upgrade to a balcony - I would give the cruise away to someone else. I would prefer to buy my own cruise with a balcony - because my vacation time is too precious and far between.

We had a balcony last Nov. on the Triumph. We didn't like the space you lost to the balcony. The smoking didn't bother us as much as our neighbor's activity lot of vocals . When the ship was at sea they were on their balcony we could hear the vocals when the balcony door was close.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Each reply actually helped seal my decision for what kind of room to book next cruise.

The pros posted are not enough to make *me* want a balcony. I can definitely see why the pros are enough for some people, but not for us. The cons posted ARE enough to convince us we do not want or need a balcony. The cons far outweigh the pros, for us.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

I have read a bazillion posts and heard from several real life people about how wonderful having a balcony is. I am soooo ready for one.

But, has anyone NOT liked having a balcony? Are there any drawbacks to having one? I can't imagine any, but I would like to confirm that. Zero answers to this thread would be a confirmation, lol. :D

Smoking neighbors may be a challenge for you if you can't stand tobacco smoke.....

I have had them in the past and enjoyed them a lot however because of what I read on CC about how terrible I am when I have a cigarette on it and reading some of the outright threats posted here...Spraying lysol and stink water at a smoker...I don't bother getting one anymore.

To me it just isn't worth the risk of my cruise being ruined by being assaulted.

I guess I am the odd one here since I can afford the extra cost of a balcony or suite and my vacation time is limited for the year. If I had a choice of inside cabin or not going I would not go since I hate not having the luxury of seeing outside when I first wakeup in the morning or having a cup of coffee out on the balcony while the rest of the family is getting dressed. Just my opinion....

The general consensus seems to be that if you are a non-smoker and book a balcony you will be a smoker anyway:D

@Fishon. We have NEVER had a problem with smoking neighbors out on our balcony which is the same with most who respond to these threads. Balconies are the best if you cruise to be on, see, and smell the ocean... Which we love.

I have never had an interior cabin but have had OV and balcony cabins. If you smoke go for a balcony, if not just get the OV. My favorite was the spa deck cabin we had on the Glory, those have now been changed to balcony.

I have had an inside room, a port hole and a window and the balcony. I love love love haveing a balcony. We have breakfast out there almost every day. And if you want a little private sun it is perfect!!! My daughter is even hooked now.

We've had 'em all over the years, and I could care less what kind of a cabin we get. (Just get me aboard!) :D Balcony is O.K., but not worth the extra cash to me. I'd personally, rather have an inside than an Ocean View. All the Ocean View does is let light in to keep me awake in the afternoon, and I still can't get any fresh air, so I'd rather have the inside. I think the 4K cabins, aboard the Spirit class ships are the best deal. The go for just slightly more than an inside, but offer light, and fresh air. Great deal, IMO. ;)

"SKY"

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Each reply actually helped seal my decision for what kind of room to book next cruise.

The pros posted are not enough to make *me* want a balcony. I can definitely see why the pros are enough for some people, but not for us. The cons posted ARE enough to convince us we do not want or need a balcony. The cons far outweigh the pros, for us.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Happy that came to a decision! :) Hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

We've had 'em all over the years, and I could care less what kind of a cabin we get. (Just get me aboard!) :D Balcony is O.K., but not worth the extra cash to me. I'd personally, rather have an inside than an Ocean View. All the Ocean View does is let light in to keep me awake in the afternoon, and I still can't get any fresh air, so I'd rather have the inside. I think the 4K cabins, aboard the Spirit class ships are the best deal. The go for just slightly more than an inside, but offer light, and fresh air. Great deal, IMO. ;)

"SKY"

I agree! We've had them all (except 4K) and the balcony was nice, but I doubt we'll spend that money again. I am interested in trying out the 4K cabins, though! :) I think we'd really enjoy it.

I got a balcony on my last cruise, it was my first balcony. I LOVED LOVED the aft balcony. But for my next cruise the difference in prices was $350 pp between the balcony and inside. So I'm going back.. I do watch the prices every day to see if the balcony might drop within my price range. But running out of time we sail in two weeks.

I will enjoy my inside anyway. Just thrilled to be able to cruise again so soon.

So to sum it up, some folks don't like them, some can take them or leave them and others love them.

So the general consensus is that there is no consensus.:D

We have done all three and I will admit to being a balcony snob.:eek:

59 days till our panaroma balcony on the Legend:cool:

We have sailed both in ocean view and balcony cabins. Both were 185 sq ft. The balcony cabins had a 35 or 45 sq ft balcony. When we had a balcony we spent a lot of time there. Just sitting. The same as on deck. One main difference was we could always find a chair and could have food delivered to us. I noticed that all of the balcony cabins on the Dream are 185 sq ft and the ocean view cabins are 220 sq ft. making the ocean view cabins very spacious. Nice to move around in. However when we don’t have a balcony we don’t spend as much time in the cabin.

Loved having our balcony, but wasn't able to use it as much as we liked due to the smokers on either side of us.....It was their right to smoke, but wish Carnival would designate one side of the ship for all non-smoking cabins & balconies. If a non-smoker is forced to book on th smoking side, then at least they know what they are getting into. I don't like it that it's always a lottery as to whether you'll be able to enjoy your balcony as a non-smoker.

I guess I am the odd one here since I can afford the extra cost of a balcony or suite and my vacation time is limited for the year. If I had a choice of inside cabin or not going I would not go since I hate not having the luxury of seeing outside when I first wakeup in the morning or having a cup of coffee out on the balcony while the rest of the family is getting dressed. Just my opinion....

Its not that people "hate" having a balcony. It just that people should temper their expectations.

Loved having our balcony wish Carnival would designate one side of the ship for all non-smoking cabins & balconies. If a non-smoker is forced to book on th smoking side, then at least they know what they are getting into. I don't like it that it's always a lottery as to whether you'll be able to enjoy your balcony as a non-smoker.

Agree 100% ! Don't understand why this is not possible.

73 days til Victory

Only when the neighbouring balcony people are smoking and it is blowing my way, and when I have very loud talking, door slamming neighbours. Other than that, it is fabulous.

Not that having a balcony isn't nice, it just isn't worth a big premium (lets say 35-50%), its worth more like 10 or 15% to me.

Nap and sleep - why else be in the room? We would much rather people watch in a public area with a sea view than hole up on our balcony.

Bigger deal to me is to pay a bit additional to get an OV, just for the light.

Archived