So does anyone NOT like a balcony?

GreenZolie

What was the cabin number you were in to get that big balcony

thanks

If a regular balcony was the same price as an inside cabin, then I would choose a balcony.

We got our first balcony, for our 10th anniversary, but it cost $800 more than an inside cabin would have.

That was the only year we only took one cruise, due to the excess cost of the balcony.

We decided after that, that two cruises a year, was much, much better than a balcony cabin was.

We were booking our next cruise on the Legend for September and it was only $200 more for a triple length balcony than an inside cabin, so we booked it. (I'm guessing since the Spirit class has so few inside cabins versus the other classes)

IMG_0262.jpg

But unless we are getting a decent deal like that, I will always choose two inside cabins a year over one balcony a year.....

Bill

It's fairly obvious that everyone has different priorities and what is deemed value to one is different for another. So it's great the ships offer choices. I personally cruise in suites only now. I am not claustrophobic but I just don't like confined spaces. I like space and do not like to feel like a sardine or horse in a stable. But that's just me. Others are fine with enough room to sleep, pee and put their clothes on.

Very interesting to read all the reasons people like one or the other. Just shows how varied we all are. I think it's great.

1. I do plan on getting a balcony when we cruise to Alaska.

But I was o.k. with our inside cabin & I was equally o.k. with an ocean view.

I won't know for sure until after my cruise to Alaska, but I think that I will wait for the "right" destination (Hawaii vs. Bahamas) for the balcony.

I had a balcony once.

It was really hot on that balcony (august) and there was no breeze out there.

I had thought that no one would be able to see into the room and that I would be able to keep the drapes open.

But on the first afternoon DH caught Mr Creepy from the next cabin over peeking around the divider so I felt like someone was peeping the whole trip.

Mr Creepy also had something clanging loudly on his balcony all night.

Had to speak insistently to purser's desk about that because at first they said that they could not do anything about it.

The air conditioning in that cabin did not work well so we propped the door sometimes.

Mr Creepy and his family slammed their balcony door constantly and talked and argued and yelled loudly in some language that I guessed was some Indian dialect.

The balcony cabin reminded me of back in the day when DH and I lived in an apartment and if you are comfortable with hearing and smelling people at home then it will be cool.

The best part about the balcony was that I would go and look outside when I woke up at night.

One night there was a big moon shining on the water and fog...really beautiful.

You had your kids doing homework on a cruise:eek:

I'll bet they were real happy about that:D

They were doing their homework at a bar on a bar stool... oops wrong thread.

I have brought homework for the kids on board, but then didn't have the heart to make them do it.

We booked a balcony last year. It was my husband's first cruise. We were so disappointed with it. The people in the cabin next to us came and sat outside each time we did (it seemed) and smoked. Unfortunately, the smoke always seemed to drift our way and push us back inside. It was so frustrating that we thought it would be better to not have a balcony rather than have one and not be able to use it. This year we have booked an outside room.

15 cruises and one in 2 weeks all w/ balcony or aft wrap except for 1 inside. Would never go back, it was too dark and it made me feel cramped. I love having coffee in the am out on the balcony, my husband has a beer out there while I am getting ready, beautiful views during the days and stars @ night and seems to even add a second room to our cabin

I do understand that by cruising w/ an inside you can save money for other things but it is what each prefers, so go for whatever you can swing and just enjoy!

It's fairly obvious that everyone has different priorities and what is deemed value to one is different for another. So it's great the ships offer choices. I personally cruise in suites only now. I am not claustrophobic but I just don't like confined spaces. I like space and do not like to feel like a sardine or horse in a stable. But that's just me. Others are fine with enough room to sleep, pee and put their clothes on.

Very interesting to read all the reasons people like one or the other. Just shows how varied we all are. I think it's great.

I agree with you! Our first cruise was an inside and we didn't like it at all. Then to OV and on to balcony cabins. Our last 7 or 8 cruises have been suites only. Like you I like the additional space and the larger bathroom. Because my job keeps me busy I can only cruise just once or twice a year so I'm going to go in comfort and not concern myself with the cost when I have an opportunity to go. Just my opinion...

I don't get a balcony for two reasons: price and company. I cruise solo and I'd rather spend my time in more social situations than alone in my cabin. Second, I would rather spend the difference between a 1A and a balcony on other things. However, if I were ever upgraded to one, I wouldn't refuse it.

I had balconies the past two years and I never pay for another one again as I think I used it only for nomore than 15 minutes in the entire cruise! My honey would step out each morning for few minutes while I dressed but that is it, a complete waste for us. The way I see it if I need to sit in my cabin on the balcony I rather take a land vacation and have a hotel room or condo right facing the beach/water.

Now, my daughter had her own room but she is single and 19 and she had an inside room, she likes to smoke cigars so I gave her a key to my stateroom and she sat our there with her cigar when we were not in the cabin...it was a waste to us though and not think we ever get balcony again unless the price is only 100 more than an oceanview lol

Another problem, you will have people outside smoking, if you not smoke the winds may blow their smoke to you, also I not have my balcony cabin open as I not want the humidity inside my room and then you have to worry about kids and people talking and noise....not for me, but thats why there are choices everybody is different.

My husband and I have done OV, Inside and Balconies. We like to cruise twice a year so we lean toward OV. I couldn't adapt to the darkness of the Inside. I didn't like our balcony although we did spend a good bit of time out there. We had noisy neighbors who got drank and fought quite a bit out there. Aside from that we enjoy being out and about on the ship more and when we had the balcony we didn't get out as much.

DH laughed at the end of the balcony cruise and said, never again would he spend the extra money

I've done all 3 and really have no desire to spend the extra money for a balcony. Don't smoke and hardly used them when we had them. I do plan on getting one for our upcoming Alaska cruise just for the scenery.

I find it commical when I read how "very busy" some of these people are and that their jobs don't allow them much vacation anyway. So when they do get vacation time, they go all out with a suite ONLY. First off, we aren't talking about suites. We're talking about balconies or no balconies. No ones cares that you are able to cruise "suite only" when you cruise. So stop the bragging. :rolleyes:

Second of all, if you WERE so important and had absolutely no extra time in your work schedule, HOW on EARTH do you find time to get on CC and write so often? Bahahahhaha! :rolleyes:;):D

I find it commical when I read how "very busy" some of these people are and that their jobs don't allow them much vacation anyway. So when they do get vacation time, they go all out with a suite ONLY. First off, we aren't talking about suites. We're talking about balconies or no balconies. No ones cares that you are able to cruise "suite only" when you cruise. So stop the bragging. :rolleyes:

Second of all, if you WERE so important and had absolutely no extra time in your work schedule, HOW on EARTH do you find time to get on CC and write so often? Bahahahhaha! :rolleyes:;):D

Bad day?

Suites have balconies. And the discussion has talked about loss of room in the cabin when you have a balcony. No loss of room with a suite. Perhaps you see the point now.

It's okay, it's pretty common knowledge that there's no love on these boards for anything to do with suites. Enjoy your cabin. I'll enjoy my suite.

BTW, I don't feel compelled to label you for your view. It would be nice if you could do the same for others.

I get on CC in the evenings to get up to date information on the cruise that I'm going on and the latest information on the ports of call. At no time did I ridicule anyone for choosing an inside cabin, I just gave my opinion on what MY preferences were for MY cruise. Yes I can afford to cruise in a suite if i want since it's MY vacation. So while we at it here let's be brutally honest, if money was no object and you had a choice between an inside or a suite, what would you choose?

If your taking a cruise with several ports like the Carnival Victory I don't think it's worth it. We never had time to enjoy having the balcony. It bothers me that I wasted the money on it. Our kids (adults) had a great room without a balcony. I would do it again if there were only a few ports.

Because when I get off work each day or on the weekends, I can come home and turn on the computer for a little while. I cannot come home from work, fly to Florida and take a cruise in that small amount of time. That is far and few between. Some of us actually work more than one job making it difficult to coordinate vacations at each one or have spouses that have different vacation schedules.

I know several people who are maxed out on their annual leave and wind up donating excess to co-workers out long term (sick/accidents). They would love to use it, but 24/7 joints have to remain staffed and yes, vacation can be denied to avoid being below minimum staffing. Mandatory overtime is currently in place at several of these 24/7 workplaces (hospitals, prisons, ATC centers, etc) in our area. Budgetary constraints have caused hiring freezes and it is more cost efficient to pay OT than hire new.

So please don't judge the opinions of others, you don't know what kind of shoes they are in.

Because when I get off work each day or on the weekends, I can come home and turn on the computer for a little while. I cannot come home from work, fly to Florida and take a cruise in that small amount of time. That is far and few between. Some of us actually work more than one job making it difficult to coordinate vacations at each one or have spouses that have different vacation schedules.

I know several people who are maxed out on their annual leave and wind up donating excess to co-workers out long term (sick/accidents). They would love to use it, but 24/7 joints have to remain staffed and yes, vacation can be denied to avoid being below minimum staffing. Mandatory overtime is currently in place at several of these 24/7 workplaces (hospitals, prisons, ATC centers, etc) in our area. Budgetary constraints have caused hiring freezes and it is more cost efficient to pay OT than hire new.

So please don't judge the opinions of others, you don't know what kind of shoes they are in.

I know what you mean DH started a new job this year and no vacation time and I have four weeks vacation and no carry over allowed.

You have less effective space inside the cabin w a balcony because you have to leave space at the balcony doors to exit. A room w/o a balcony feels bigger. Also, if you are in the middle of the ocean, what is the point of a balcony. You can't see anything.

DON

We will have our first balcony in August on our 5 day from NY to Canada...I hope it won't be horribly cold, where my DH will never let me book another balcony again. We did OV for our first 3 cruises and just did our first inside on our 4th cruise. We will never book another OV again...waste of $$ in my opinion. The cabins were exactly the same...except for the window that we hardly ever used (glanced out every morning to see where we were and then went up to the Lido to see the exact same thing). I didn't think the inside was too dark or closed in. We'll see if we think the balcony is worth the $$...I suspect we won't (or at least DH won't, as he could sleep in a steward closet and be happy).

Archived