So does anyone NOT like a balcony?

GreenZolie

I am another poster who has gone the whole 9 yards starting with an inside upteen years ago, outside with window many times, and several times with the balcony. There are lots of pros and cons for going with the balcony. I certainly would reccomend having a balcony for an Alaskan cruise, and there is another thing to think about. Just imagine how awful it must have been for cruisers stuck on the Splendor for 3 or 4 days after the fire on board and being towed back to port. I realize that was a specific incident, but those people who had inside and outside cabins suffered with no air conditioning and for a few days without appropriate water supply. If you had a balcony you could at least have kept the door open to get a decent night's sleep. But again, that was an incident that perhaps will never happen again for a long, long time (lets hope). I guess it really comes down to what you can afford and are willing to spend for accomodations on a cruise ship. ;)

We have only been on one cruise (Feb 2008) had a balcony, will probably only book balcoines, as a flight from Caglary to Miami is almost as much as a balcony cabin.

Somehow, I just can't justify spending more on a 7 hour flight, than on a 7 day cruise!!

Plus there is nothing like an early morning coffee, or a late night glass of wine on the balcony

Happy Cruising!!!

The downside of me booking my first balcony last time is that I am having difficulty booking the oceanview for my next cruise because the balcony is too expensive. (to the point I may do a 5-day with a balcony instead of a 7 day OV)

For the very port intensive cruise I had the balcony on (5 ports in 7 days) I was up on the balcony to watch us arrive at every port in pj's and a robe (I would not head up onto the decks this way - though I have seen it). After running myself ragged with activities in ports, I always grabbed a late lunch and ate it on the balcony as I watched the activities in the port. I was usually on the balcony when we sailed away from each port, and I was out there late at night relaxing before going to sleep.

On crowded ships like Carnival tends to have, I feel like a balcony would be more important so that you are always assured a place to sit outside and enjoy yourself.

This being said, I do keep in mind that I was lucky with my only balcony experience in that I had good neighbors with no noise or smoke - in fact, the only time I ever saw them was the last day when we all happened to be standing on the balconies at the same time. Also, the weather was always nice enough to sit outside.

We love the balcony and think it's well worth the cost. This past trip we were sitting outside on our balcony and actually saw a whale. For us it's a quiet place to go.

Your puppy is sooo adorable!! Not about a balcony...but it had to be said! I have cruised with both and I agree with a previous post- there are positives and negatives to each...enjoy your cruise either way :)

Although we have done OV and may do them again, balconies are definately our preference.

My husband is out there a lot taking pictures, I'll go out and either read or do some puzzles while having coffee, watching the sunset, etc.

For me it wasn't worth the extra $600 (family of 4) to go from an ov to a balcony on a 7 day cruise. For our budget, it was either a balcony and do just a 4 or 5 day cruise or an OV and go 7 days. I'd MUCH rather do 7 days!!

And my second reason is that I'm VERY VERY sensitive to cig. smoke. It's not worth it for me to worry like crazy up until I get on the boat whether I can even enjoy the balcony or not (whether there is a smoker within 200 feet of my balcony). I am so sensitive to smoke that I can even tell when I'm driving if the car in front of me has a smoker in it. The smoke will get into my car and make me have tears. I would be soooo disappointed had I spent all that extra money for a balcony and there was cig. smoke out there. (No flaming....I can't help my allergies/sensitivities.)

I love the idea of a balcony, but the few times I have had one, I spent so little time on it that it was not worth the expense. Usually I sail solo, so cheap is the way to go. when my sister goes, I try to book a balcony. She spends more time on it that I do, and that still isn't a lot. EM

If a regular balcony was the same price as an inside cabin, then I would choose a balcony.

We got our first balcony, for our 10th anniversary, but it cost $800 more than an inside cabin would have.

That was the only year we only took one cruise, due to the excess cost of the balcony.

We decided after that, that two cruises a year, was much, much better than a balcony cabin was.

We were booking our next cruise on the Legend for September and it was only $200 more for a triple length balcony than an inside cabin, so we booked it. (I'm guessing since the Spirit class has so few inside cabins versus the other classes)

IMG_0262.jpg

But unless we are getting a decent deal like that, I will always choose two inside cabins a year over one balcony a year.....

Bill

Not worth the money in my opinion. I can cruise 2 or 3 times a year in an inside or porthole for what one cruise with a balcony would cost me. The balconies that I have seen have no more room than my shower at home. Most ships have several hundred feet of quite outside space for me to kick back and relax.

We booked back in January and booked an balcony. Our fare went down $200 in that time. The inside cabins are now selling for what our balcony was selling for. And the balconies are selling for $35 LESS than the insides.

I LOVE having a balcony! I am out there many times a day......sipping coffee in the morning.....a quiet break in the afternoon.....relaxing in my robe after a shower before getting ready for sinner just watching the sea....and often and again late at night before I go to sleep.......i LOVE it!!!

That said.....if it was the difference between cruising and not cruising I would jump in an inside. I would never pay for an OV because to me being able to "see" outside means nothing. If no balcony than an inside for its total darkness and seclusion worked better for me than an OV

I agree with these comments. I love having my balcony. Once you go Balcony...you can't go back...

I have had all three type cabins and would say the balcony was just okay but not worth the extra money due to having to deal with smokers and the hacking/coughing and smell that was constant... If I was sailing in Alaska or Hawaii then I can see doing this again but I would rather cruise twice a year versus one ... Even with the balcony I felt like I was sitting in a small box with narrow view of water... I still found myself going to top deck for the view... So for me and husband a big No on the Balcony...

We cruised for many years in only inside cabins for cost sake.

We usually had to purchase two cabins because we have kids and we like some living space and privacy.

We got our first balcony last May on Conquest, and I can't see myself going back to an inside cabin ever.

Even with a smoker next door on the mariner last June, we still enjoyed having our balcony. Thats why i have come to like Carnival so much, we can afford the balcony. We have paid more for inside cabins on other lines.

We never minded inside prior to getting a balcony...thats a warning!:D

I've been on 3 cruises and booked on the Splendor for Easter break. First cruise was an ocean view room, second was inside, third was another OV, and this time we booked on Carnival because aside from living in the port town, so no airfare costs, we got the resident rate and only paid less than $100 more per person for two connecting balcony rooms, midship, great deck (so I hear).

With previous cruises, I definitely liked having some sunlight in the room vs. inside where it can get "Vegas hotel" dark and we always envied the people with balconies, so we'll see if it's worth it, I'm, sure we will enjoy the rooms.

We've had three inside cabins and on our last cruise we splurged for a balcony. We're cruising again in October and we're going back to an inside cabin.

The balcony was really nice in the mornings, to step out and check the weather. And it was nice to sit and watch us pull out of port. But the AC wasn't as good as when we were in our inside cabins, and I like to sleep in cool air, not warmish air. Also, a few nights we had rocky weather and the noise from the dividers banging against the walls, plus the ocean noise, thunder etc was just disconcerting. Our neighbors were pretty decent, but they were really early risers and LOUD in the mornings.

I also think that having an inside cabin encourages us to get out of the cabin and participate on deck more than we would with a balcony.

So that is definitely an interesting question. We have been on 8 cruises, and only 2 have had balconies and the rest OV. Our first balcony was in 2004 on the Destiny, and second was this past Feb on the Dream. THe reason we took so long in between was that the first time we had a balcony, we hardly used it at all......i.e. we were all over the ship on sea days, and on excursions on port days. The only reason we booked a balcony on the Dream was because we had a 20% discount from missing 2 ports of call on the Conquest last September. We did use the balcony more this time, however.

So it really comes down to this...they are nice, however, if you are not going to use it (i.e. you will be spending most of your time all over the ship or on excursions), then maybe it is not worth the extra price you have to pay to have one. Just my $.02

I'm going to be honest. I have done all three, balcony, ocean view, and interior. I didn't really use the balcony that much. The first day or so because of the novelty, but after that I didn't really go out that much. I would rather use the money for something else. l!!

That's the way I feel, too. I've been in them all and didn't feel the balcony justified the extra cost. Had one for Alaska and was too cold to enjoy it. I had more fun sitting in the lounge with hot chocolate watching the wildlife through the glass window. When we went to the Margerie Glacier it was more fun to be on the upper decks with the crowd.

To each his own, I guess. Interior is fine with me and when I want to look outside, I go to the Lido and mingle.

For me it wasn't worth the extra $600 (family of 4) to go from an ov to a balcony on a 7 day cruise. For our budget, it was either a balcony and do just a 4 or 5 day cruise or an OV and go 7 days. I'd MUCH rather do 7 days!!

And my second reason is that I'm VERY VERY sensitive to cig. smoke. It's not worth it for me to worry like crazy up until I get on the boat whether I can even enjoy the balcony or not (whether there is a smoker within 200 feet of my balcony). I am so sensitive to smoke that I can even tell when I'm driving if the car in front of me has a smoker in it. The smoke will get into my car and make me have tears. I would be soooo disappointed had I spent all that extra money for a balcony and there was cig. smoke out there. (No flaming....I can't help my allergies/sensitivities.)

You're that sensitive, that someone 200 feet away smoking would bother you, but you can book an inside/ocean view cabin that has been smoked in 600 times and it isn't an issue for you?

There are negatives with anything in life.

Cost of the balcony

Extra light when sleeping

Noise and smoke from your neighbors( noticed this when I visited my uncle's balcony)

The wind vortex caused when balcony door and cabin door are open

AC may not work as well

I'm afraid of heights and had to hug the wall even though up on deck I have looked over the railing and not been afraid, weird!

Some details matter to people and some can be overlooked. To each their own.

And: People say that once you had a balcony you can't go back. I like my inside cabin (it's dark in the wee hours, it's comfy, it's quiet, it's cheaper) but what if I LOOVE the balcony and then don't want to go back to an inside and I can't afford to cruise as often, then what????:D Oh, I just can't risk it, LOL!

Balconies are nice if you can afford them

-and if you're not prone to height worries and/or motion sickness (if located far forward or aft)

but by and large a nice Ocean View cabin on a lower deck is probably better value for money

with minimal motion-problems if any. ;)

We've had two balconies,now.. and yes it's nice to be able to get out there for photographs

or to see what's happening on the pier (late-comers running like mad)

and I wouldn't kick a balcony cabin out of bed if I got it as an upgrade.

Those who fool themselves with talk of

Once you go Balcony you can never go back

are indeed fooling themselves! ;)

Our last cabin was a very comfortable Ocean View on Caribbean Princess

which we loved -and didn't particularly miss the balcony!

Our next cruise will be a lowly interior :eek:

which we're sure we'll survive somehow!! :D

I'm really not sure I could cruise without one now. My very first cruise was an OV. Since then I've had balconies... I know I have not cruised a great deal, yet, but I need that open space. And I love to look at the water, even at night, from the privacy of my own room.

The extra cost isn't worth it for us. We barely used it. Maybe a long repositioning cruise with a lot of sea days, I could see maybe changing my mind. On a week long cruise though I would rather spend my money towards a second cruise, excursions, drinks, etc. I am sure each individual/family is different.

One real downside to balconies is that the amount of inside space, as compared to an OV, is smaller. Total space combined is 220 sq ft. All that space is inside in an OV, but divided between inside (185) and outside (35) in a regular balcony room.

That being said- I love balconies because I can wander out and hear the water- and just stare at it.

Archived