So does anyone NOT like a balcony?

GreenZolie

I originally booked an OV for our cruise in May as an anniversary/birthday/graduation/mother's day/father's day vacation. I kept watching the prices of the cruise and for one day the balcony's were only an extra $75 for the upgrade, so I did it (haven't told the wife yet, its a surprise for when we board). I have been just fine with an OV, I like to be able to see outside, so I don't feel like I'm trapped in a box. I'm excited for a balcony for just me and the wife, but I don't feel like its a necessity. If the price is right, I'd go for it. But there is so much to do on and off the ship that worrying about having or not having a balcony is so far down on the list of what is important.

I have read a bazillion posts and heard from several real life people about how wonderful having a balcony is. I am soooo ready for one.

But, has anyone NOT liked having a balcony? Are there any drawbacks to having one? I can't imagine any, but I would like to confirm that. Zero answers to this thread would be a confirmation, lol. :D

The only time I could see WANTING to not have a balcony is with small children. We hope to do a family cruise at some point in the next few years and we will not want more than ocean view. Freaks me out. Just the Mama Bear in me ;)

We have never had a balcony and really don't ever plan to have one (unless the price is so close to an interior that we just can't pass it up). What I usually do to enjoy my interior more is to imagine my room, and on my bed is a box and it has a great trinket (jewelry in my case) in the box - this is the item I have bought with the extra money I would have spent on the balcony. A little silly - but I love me some bling and shopping for it on our cruises is one of our favorite things. Honestly, I can't even imagine finding the time to sit on the balcony anyway - maybe sometime in the future when I can afford both the balcony and the bling!!

Gosh, I think I've found my tribe--others who don't HAVE to have a balcony stateroom--WOOHOO! ;) We've been on nine cruises and the cruise coming up will be our FIRST balcony only because I allowed myself to be persuaded..."just this one time"!

I agree, I've worked long and hard for my $'s and just prefer the good deal of an inside stateroom. Plus, I TRULY enjoy the "tucked in" feeling a quite, dark (i.e. void of sunlight) inside room provides.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it ya'll! :D

We get one if they're available (ie on any cruise not on a Fantasy-class vessel). It's really nice to have a private outdoor space to watch the ocean (amongst other activities). It's really all about personal preference. Some prefer to shop, we prefer a nicer cabin.

Balconys are used for much more than "smoking and drinking" (?)

We also LOVE the balcony. Great for morning coffee. Watching the sunrise, set. Scoping out the horizon with the binoculars, etc.

We too COULD cruise 2 times a year if we booked an inside cabin, but....NO WAY! No balcony, no go!

I do not like a balcony in colder weather -- too chilly out there with the wind.

I do not like a balcony if the person(s) on either side of me constantly smoke.

I would more likely choose a balcony if I did a Southern Caribbean route with a different port every day and maybe only one sea day.

We were going to book an outside for our next cruise to save money but as it turns out the balcony was cheaper then the outside, so, easy decision there! It would be hard to go to an outside after having a balcony but I would do it if the price were right. I can't go into an inside, however, I don't like not knowing if it is night or day. I could handle a porthole before an inside but that is just me.

Getting ready for a 30 year anniversary cruise , We are getting a balcony, we have had a inside and a oceanview window before but this is our first balcony. My husband really wanted it...Im hopeing its worth the extra money. We are excited to try it....

It's not that we don't like balcony rooms....we just can't see spending the extra cash when we are hardly in the room to enjoy it....we would much rather be enjoying the ship, spa, premium dining, bars, shows, etc.....

We've had two balcony rooms and just didn't spend much time in the room...

Platinum with Carnival. And I too have learned that I just dont use them enough to pay the price. It's like throwing away money. On short 3 dayers I always book inside and on 5-7 I will book Ocean Views now. IF and only IF the balconies drop considerably do I consider changing.. but then I think..I would prefer the OBC...:p

We had inside cabins for our first three cruises, then went on Panama Canal cruise that Mom paid for and had a balcony. We went back to inside cabins for last three cruises, and haven't missed the balcony at all. I'm not sure that I'll ever feel the need to spend money for a balcony, when there is so much deck space, plenty of chairs and the wonderful darkness of an inside cabin.

Happy cruising to all!

Personally my wife and I prefer inside cabins. We had a balcony for our honeymoon on the Splendor, and while it was nice, we simply don't spend enough time in the cabin to make it worth it for us.

Not to mention the fact that I LOVE that you can close the door of an inside cabin, turn the lights off, and go from daytime to pitch black darkness instantly. Makes for the best place to take a mid-day nap :) Besides, I'd rather spend the saved money on drinks, and shore excursions, and fun stuff like that :)

I have been in some cabins where there is less effective floor space in a balcony cabin than one with a balcony. The reason is that they can place the bed against the window but they can not place the bed against the balcony door.

In same instances, I do not think the balcony is worth the extra money but that is not the question you asked.

DON

If all costs were the same, I can't imagine anyone not wanting a balcony, unless they were afraid of heights or something. Balconies are the best, once you go to a balcony, it's tough to go back.

My hubby loves the balcony I hate them. The AC does not stay as cold, to much light in the room, plus looking at the water makes me sick.

If all costs were the same, I can't imagine anyone not wanting a balcony, unless they were afraid of heights or something. Balconies are the best, once you go to a balcony, it's tough to go back.

I've went from a balcony to an OV and never missed the balcony. We generally book to be near friends/family. If they book an OV so will we, if a balcony than we do a balcony.

My DH will not do an inside, he must have some light. In 7 cruises we have done 3 OVs and 4 balconies. I think last time we spent all of 1 hour the entire cruise on the balcony. If all the cost were the same I still would not care either way. That's just me.

It's not that we don't like balcony rooms....we just can't see spending the extra cash when we are hardly in the room to enjoy it....we would much rather be enjoying the ship, spa, premium dining, bars, shows, etc.....

We've had two balcony rooms and just didn't spend much time in the room...

We feel the same,

Hi Cyndi : won't get flamed by me :) I spend the extra money for a balcony so I can smoke. I won't smoke in the cabin - I find that more inconsiderate for the next passenger. But, yes a ciggy and a coffee on a ship - priceless!

Great minds think alike !

Ive been in every type of cabin available with CCL. Suites were nice at first, but then realized I could sail no much more every year in a lower cost room.

I do a balcony cabin once a year in the Caribbean....that is a treat! I love the blue water and I DO spend time out there....coffee in the AM, reading, etc. My boyfriend and I will have an extended Aft in Sept...and we plan on using it.

The other cruises, during the year to to Mexico I do insides.

Of our 40+ family cruises, less than 5 were in a Cat 12 Suite or a Balcony...

we have a balcony booked for the Spirit 15 day cruise to Hawaii since we have sooo many sea days....and even if we can't use the balcony...there are larger windows to look out of.

and we have a cove balcony booked for the Magic....

but usually we don't book a balcony because I don't want to pay for something and then end up not being able to use it (to windy, smokers next door) or listen to others slam their balcony doors all day and night.

We've done both and like the balcony better. We find it nice to have in the morning and night or when we're getting dressed, etc. to give some privacy in the room for people getting dressed. I will say, however, that since we only cruise every 2 or 3 years it's a nice treat. If I cruised more often I would be more likely to consider inside or OV. During the day we aren't really in the room that much.

The good thing with the interiors is there's more $$$ for other things.:D

Archived