Southampton - closest airport

Southampton has its own airport, and Bournemouth is about 30 mins away. But both handle only european flights.

For trans-Atlantic, best bets are London Heathrow LHR (something over an hour) or London Gatwick LGW (something under 2 hours).

John Bull

Does anyone know the closest airport to Southampton.

Thanks,

Susan

SOU/Southampton: 5 miles (european flights only)

BOH/Bournemouth: 25 miles (european mostly charter flights only)

LHR/London Heathrow: 65 miles (direct bus service; or bus to Woking then train)

LGW/London Gatwick: 75 miles (easy direct hourly train; takes 2h)

BHX/Birmingham Intl: 125 miles (east direct hourly train; takes 2h20)

Other airports aren't recommended

LCY/London City (wrong side of town)

LUT/London Luton (wrong side of town)

STN/London Standsted (wrong side of town)

That is awesome there is a direct train right to Gatwick. I'm surprised how many people get transfers by bus and car when knowing this... I'm so excited there is a train! Thanks!

That is awesome there is a direct train right to Gatwick. I'm surprised how many people get transfers by bus and car when knowing this... I'm so excited there is a train! Thanks!

..as long as you are not travelling on a Sunday. There is no direct train on a Sunday!

Simon

Southampton has its own airport, and Bournemouth is about 30 mins away. But both handle only european flights.

For trans-Atlantic, best bets are London Heathrow LHR (something over an hour) or London Gatwick LGW (something under 2 hours).

John Bull

You can also fly from Southampton to Manchester Airport direct (5 flights a day) where there are extensive trans atlantic connections.

You could also throw Bristol Aiport into the mix which is 60 miles from Southampton. Bristol Airport has a large UK and European network of flights.

You could also throw Bristol Aiport into the mix which is 60 miles from Southampton. Bristol Airport has a large UK and European network of flights.

Sure you could, but it's quite a pain to get from BRS to Southampton.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread... I've already learned so much. One more question though... is it an easy walk from the station in Southampton to the port? It looks close, but you never know how the sidewalk connections are in port areas. Thanks for the help!

Deb

Great thread... I've already learned so much. One more question though... is it an easy walk from the station in Southampton to the port? It looks close, but you never know how the sidewalk connections are in port areas. Thanks for the help!

Deb

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/ & click on the port maps header.

4 cruise terminals in Southampton.

City cruise terminal (101) is walkable in about 10 - 15 mins, level ground. Easiest to use gate 8, which is close to the terminal. But with luggage I'd rather pay £5 for a taxi.

The others definately worth a £5 to £8 cab ride, esp with luggage. Ground is level, but within the docks there are missing sidewalks & heavy truck traffic.

JB

• 5 weeks later...
I will be spending a few days in London pre-cruise, and have the option of flying into London City airport which "seems" closer to city center than Heathrow....is this correct? I can fly out of Heathrow post cruise so no problem there. Thoughts??

Flights into LCY tend to be expensive, it's very close to the "city" (banking, stocks & shares, insurance, legal, etc). But it's also closer to the iconic sights of central London than the four major airports. And being a much smaller airport, its a lot easier.

Access to the tube network http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf via the DLR (docks light railway), though with luggage you wouldn't like switching berween trains. Both LCY and Heathrow airports are further from central London than they appear on the schematic tube map.

Heathrow is about 13 miles, LCY about 6 miles.

John Bull

We are doing British Isles next Aug. Flying from the states to Shannon. Driving 4-5 days ending up in Cork. Could find flights from Southampton to Cork, but not the opposite. STRANGE??? Still think I should be able to NOT have to fly to Heathrow. Have lots of time to adjust and rework the schedule!!

We are doing British Isles next Aug. Flying from the states to Shannon. Driving 4-5 days ending up in Cork. Could find flights from Southampton to Cork, but not the opposite. STRANGE??? Still think I should be able to NOT have to fly to Heathrow. Have lots of time to adjust and rework the schedule!!

Well you've done better than me!!

I can find no scheduled direct flights, Cork - Southampton.

Best I could find was FlyBe, Dublin - Southampton.

Or Aer Lingus, Cork - Bristol, but that's worse than Heathrow (airport about 8 miles from Bristol city/rail station tho' there are direct trains to Southampton.

Ryanair also used to fly Dublin - Bournemouth, but now there's nothing into Bournemouth from Ireland.

JB

I will be spending a few days in London pre-cruise, and have the option of flying into London City airport which "seems" closer to city center than Heathrow....is this correct?
If you can make this work, LCY is a fantastic airport to fly to, not least because it's very fast to get out of it. Routinely, people with no checked baggage report being able to get from the aircraft door (of an international arrival) to the taxi rank in about three minutes, although that's dependent on there being no immigration queue (which is never very long anyway).
Flights into LCY tend to be expensive
Although some flights to LCY can be expensive, particularly if you book close to travel date, it's far from universally true if you book well in advance. So don't be put off by this possibility - do the research.
Access to the tube network http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf via the DLR (docks light railway), though with luggage you wouldn't like switching berween trains.
Some DLR/Tube journeys are very easy. Most stations on the DLR (strictly the Docklands Light Railway) have step-free access to the street, and if you're heading to central London there is a very easy step-free change to the Jubilee Line at Canning Town station, and that can take you to the West End very quickly.

Could find flights from Southampton to Cork, but not the opposite. STRANGE???
Same result for me as John Bull got: No Southampton -> Cork or Cork -> Southampton flights. And Cork is not listed on Southampton airport's website as a destination.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived