Medals on Formal Nights

Nick&Simon

I wore my medals with pride on a recent cruise and when a fellow passenger saw them he dug his out of his pocket and wore his too. Officers from the crew were wearing long service medals. Would I wear them again on another cruise? Yes, definitely.

Although I can imagine being very proud of a medal of whatever kind, I just can't think why they would be worn on a cruise? I can understand them being worn on Remembrance Day or something similar, but to me it just seems ostentatious on a cruise.

Although I can imagine being very proud of a medal of whatever kind, I just can't think why they would be worn on a cruise? I can understand them being worn on Remembrance Day or something similar, but to me it just seems ostentatious on a cruise.

People usually wear minituares versions of their medals at black tie do's

I have no problem with that, just wanted to know the norm, which people have graciously enlightend me about. Thanks.

The 'norm' is whatever you choose to make it. I can't imagine anyone thinking it to be stupid at all. You have earned your medals, so you have the right to wear them. A formal night seems like an ideal occasion to wear them on. :)

I have 5 service medals (Police and Army) , but I reckon it is a little over the top wearing them on a cruise - albeit formal night. Anyway, they would set off the metal detectors at the Airport. LOL. So they can stay at home in the case until our Anzac Day ceremonies on April 25 each year.

Have just completed a World circumnavigation on Oriana and Arcadia. I saw a very small number of men wearing "Miniatures" on formal nights - I chose not to wear mine. I also saw a small number of men in kilts. I thought that these things all added to the atmosphere.

However , we had so many "formals" in 3 months, that most of us were heartily sick of it by the end. For my last formal, I wore a Post Office red shirt coupled with the most revolting shiny red tie, that I bought in Pago Pago for $2.99!!:D I feel that a lot of the discussions on this Board are very dependent on exactly which cruise is being discussed. I am certain that a Mediterranean cruise would have a different atmosphere than a Caribbean one - and the particular P&O ship would also make a difference. Then again, I may also be wrong in this regard.

On a long cruise, they have so many Formal nights that they eventually lose the feel of a special occasion.

Barry

Hi Barry

As you know we are doing a 47 night cruise on Oriana Sydney - Southampton.

I would like to know how you went with the formal nights in regards to so many of them, with the clothes.As we will be doing a land holiday in Europe after the cruise and flying back to oz I am worried about bringing to many suits and clothes as it will be a nightmare to kart around.

I am thinking of hiring the suits on board but then again maybe alot of cruisers are doing the same.

Kind regards Frank and Anna.

Hi Barry

I would like to know how you went with the formal nights in regards to so many of them, with the clothes.As we will be doing a land holiday in Europe after the cruise and flying back to oz I am worried about bringing to many suits and clothes as it will be a nightmare to kart around.

I am thinking of hiring the suits on board but then again maybe alot of cruisers are doing the same.

Hi Frank and Anna, I am doing Aracdia - Sydney to Southampton. No tuxedo for me, Lounge Suit will suffice, as it always does. Might not do on Cunard, but perfectly OK for P&O UK and Princess.

Just my two cents worth. Each to his own.

Hi Frank and Anna, I am doing Aracdia - Sydney to Southampton. No tuxedo for me, Lounge Suit will suffice, as it always does. Might not do on Cunard, but perfectly OK for P&O UK and Princess.

Just my two cents worth. Each to his own.

Hi Les,

I am going to bring just the one suit and to bad if on the cruise there is lots of formal nights, I will just wear the same suit with a different tie on every occasion.

It's the inconvenience of carting the damn things around half the world just to wear on those formal nights.I much rather look a bit underdressed for the occasion than bringing 3 or 4 suits.

Regards Frank.

The medals and awards I hold are not military, they are civil. The guidelines I have always used for wearing them are "formal, cermonial or white tie" includes medals etc. "black tie" doesn't. This isn't my definition it is the one given by Ede & Ravenscroft and their ilk. I guess the definitions the cruise lines use vary and I am being to prim.

If it's any help the new P&O dress code is Black Tie, Smart and Evening Casual, black tie replacing formal. So, by the guidelines you usually follow, you wouldn't wear medals. However, as others have said it's all down to personal choice.

Hi Les,

I am going to bring just the one suit and to bad if on the cruise there is lots of formal nights, I will just wear the same suit with a different tie on every occasion.

It's the inconvenience of carting the damn things around half the world just to wear on those formal nights.I much rather look a bit underdressed for the occasion than bringing 3 or 4 suits.

Regards Frank.

Way to go Frank - 1 suit, 2 ties and a couple of different coloured business shirts to go with the 'bag of fruit.' No one will ever know. That is what I am doing anyway for Arcadia next year and for Ruby/Coral before that. I gave away my tuxedo after the first couple of cruises anyway it shrunk. Since then a nice suit and no body has taken exception.

The Brits on board (no disrespect there) can call me an 'Uncouth Colonial' if they like, who cares ! LOL

Mate I am sure you will like fine on Oriana in a nice suit for the many formal nights !

Above all, Enjoy !

Hi Les

I am sure that I will look like a colonial, but then again Its the great time I envisage on this trip and it is all going to be about rest and recuperation from the many years slaving over stoves and cooking,now the roles will be reversed and My DW and I will enjoy all the pleasures that is a cruise.

I am sure you will do likewise on the Arcadia.

Regards Frank and Anna.

Any thoughts on this... I am only used to formal nights on Cunard, the description for which includes "medals and awards may be worn". As a result of this I feel very comfortable wearing my medals on formal nights on Cunard. On Silversea, I do not feel comfortable jangling around in comparison.

I have an upcoming trip on P&O and wonder if it is the same on P&O (Ventura) or will I look out of place/a complete burke wearing medals on P&O.

I am really interested in what is the norm?

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

I am sure your medals are well deserved. In all our years of cruising with P&O, Royal Carribbean, Cunard and Celebrity, we can only remember one person wearing medals, this was many years ago on a P&O ship. Unfortunately he did look somewhat out of place and didn't wear them again on the remaining formal nights. Why not take them and see what happens on your first formal night - you can always pop back to your cabin to get them if you feel it appropriate.

Hi Barry

We went last year on QM2 Sydney/Southampton and was away 3 months and it is surprising how much you can take without it being a hinderance for your later travels. I will take a dinner and ord suit plus a couple of sports suits. I do it as it compliments my wife and I also like it. Do as you feel. I forgot to mention we are also on Oriana Sydney/Southampton and will be away about the same amount of time

Regards Brian

ps I wont be taking my medals

Hi Brian

Thanks for the info, it is so far away, but would love to meet on the ship when the time comes.

I have seen the new world cruises for 2013 and have noticed the azura is taking the place of the oriana so maybe this could be the oriana's last worldie.

Regards Frank.

• 4 months later...
The 'norm' is whatever you choose to make it. I can't imagine anyone thinking it to be stupid at all. You have earned your medals, so you have the right to wear them. A formal night seems like an ideal occasion to wear them on. :)

I received my MBE for services to charity and not military. The miniatures are worn on formal nights and I have worn mine on Regent, Seabourn, Celebrity, Princess and Pullmantur and never ever felt out of place.

Regards Pat

Archived