Medals on Formal Nights

Nick&Simon

Any thoughts on this... I am only used to formal nights on Cunard, the description for which includes "medals and awards may be worn". As a result of this I feel very comfortable wearing my medals on formal nights on Cunard. On Silversea, I do not feel comfortable jangling around in comparison.

I have an upcoming trip on P&O and wonder if it is the same on P&O (Ventura) or will I look out of place/a complete burke wearing medals on P&O.

I am really interested in what is the norm?

Cheers,

Nick

People wear kilts and do not look out of place. Most people are dressed well for the occasion anyway.

if you have earned the right to wear medals, wear them with pride and good luck to you :)

It will be a good talking point at least

Thanks for the feedback, it is without doubt a "no" on P&O.

The reason for my question is simply that I have only ever cruised with Cunard, Silversea and NCL before.

Cunard specifically include the wearing of "medals and awards" in their description of formal wear, and many of the passengers do, and obviously the relevant officers and crew as well.

On Silversea, medals are not normally worn with formal wear and on NCL, well, formal wear isn't in the repetoir.

The medals and awards I hold are not military, they are civil. The guidelines I have always used for wearing them are "formal, cermonial or white tie" includes medals etc. "black tie" doesn't. This isn't my definition it is the one given by Ede & Ravenscroft and their ilk. I guess the definitions the cruise lines use vary and I am being to prim.

Anyway, I am pleased I asked and grateful for all your responses. You have saved me looking a chump (and a bit of packing into the bargain)!

On my recent cruise on Oceana, at the Portunas party, I spoke to an officer who was proudly wearing several medals. He informed me that they related to his service in the Indian navy. If officers can wear medals, it should be fine for passengers to do likewise.

Have just completed a World circumnavigation on Oriana and Arcadia. I saw a very small number of men wearing "Miniatures" on formal nights - I chose not to wear mine. I also saw a small number of men in kilts. I thought that these things all added to the atmosphere.

However , we had so many "formals" in 3 months, that most of us were heartily sick of it by the end. For my last formal, I wore a Post Office red shirt coupled with the most revolting shiny red tie, that I bought in Pago Pago for $2.99!!:D I feel that a lot of the discussions on this Board are very dependent on exactly which cruise is being discussed. I am certain that a Mediterranean cruise would have a different atmosphere than a Caribbean one - and the particular P&O ship would also make a difference. Then again, I may also be wrong in this regard.

On a long cruise, they have so many Formal nights that they eventually lose the feel of a special occasion.

Barry

Please could some-one enlighten me, I thought all medals were for military campaigns I didn't know you got them as civilians. The only "medals" I can think of are things like a Long Service Medal some companies, unions award. The other things are the OBE, CBE etc which people are awarded for doing something outstanding e.g. singing, acting or giving money to whichever party is in power at the time.

I'm not having a dig at the OP I am genuinly confused.

Please could some-one enlighten me, I thought all medals were for military campaigns I didn't know you got them as civilians. The only "medals" I can think of are things like a Long Service Medal some companies, unions award. The other things are the OBE, CBE etc which people are awarded for doing something outstanding e.g. singing, acting or giving money to whichever party is in power at the time.

A friend of ours is a Fireman and has a medal for serving in Afghanistan, so I assume some civvies get for things like that. Well deserved.

Changing times, changing times. When I was a boy (in the 50s) I remember men quite frequently wearing medal ribbons with suits, etc. Of course at that time an awful lot of men (the majority?) would have had campaign medals from both world wars - I know my father did. The actual medals were only worn on occasions that had some military significance or resonance, of which the most common, by far, was Remembrance Day. I still remember my father each year getting his medals out a couple of days in advance of Remembrance Day to clean them, and letting me help. Every year, of course, he would remind what the medals were for, and significance of the colours on the ribbons.

As regards wearing them now: well, if I had any I might wear a ribbon on the Captain's Gala night which is generally the most formal night on a P&O cruise. By the time the later ones come along, standards have generally slipped a bit, even on a 14 night cruise; and bazzaw described the effect on a world cruise very effectively a few posts above.

Changing times, changing times. When I was a boy (in the 50s) I remember men quite frequently wearing medal ribbons with suits, etc. Of course at that time an awful lot of men (the majority?) would have had campaign medals from both world wars - I know my father did. The actual medals were only worn on occasions that had some military significance or resonance, of which the most common, by far, was Remembrance Day. I still remember my father each year getting his medals out a couple of days in advance of Remembrance Day to clean them, and letting me help. Every year, of course, he would remind what the medals were for, and significance of the colours on the ribbons.

As regards wearing them now: well, if I had any I might wear a ribbon on the Captain's Gala night which is generally the most formal night on a P&O cruise. By the time the later ones come along, standards have generally slipped a bit, even on a 14 night cruise; and bazzaw described the effect on a world cruise very effectively a few posts above.

That's a lovely story Tom, do you still have the medals?

Nick, I, for one, would be thrilled to see someone wearing medals on P&O. Do they easily come off if you felt at all uncomfortable?

cruiseanywhere2: there are a whole host of UK orders some of which are military, some civil and some have both a civillian and millatry list. I did not receive mine for singing, dancing or giving money away! I was awarded mine for research in the medical field and latterly humanitarian endeavours.

For the majority you ae given a full medal, mini medal and you can geta ribbon. On the APPROPRIATE occassions I wear the mini medals. Cleary a Cunard formal night is appropriate (even the maitre d wears medals) but it is not on P&O. I have no problem with that, just wanted to know the norm, which people have graciously enlightend me about. Thanks.

Hi, thanks for enlightening me, I was confused :o, probably because the only people mentioned on the news as having been honoured are the actors etc and not the people who have worked hard to receive their well deserved medal, I was not having a go at you personally. I don't see any reason why you should not wear your medals, perhaps you could take them with you and see how things go? It would be a shame not to wear what you've been awarded with pride.

I hope you have a great cruise and you do wear your medals. :)

Clearly a Cunard formal night is appropriate (even the maitre d wears medals) but it is not on P&O. I have no problem with that, just wanted to know the norm, which people have graciously enlightend me about. Thanks.

I still disagree, although I would qualify that depending on the ship. For the more traditional P&O ships, I would say wear them. Many do.

We never wear medals on formal night on P&O and I haven't seen anyone else wearing them

Elaine, I've seen several people wearing them including myself and members of the crew. I earned mine and I'll wear them if I think that it's fitting (usually the Captain's Reception Event)

Just to say that I was awarded the MBE and assure you it is not for any of the things you quoted!!!!

But, no, I do not wear it on formal nights, even though I am very proud of having received it:)

I have seen on P&O people wearing medals on Captains gala night, was on Independence Of The Seas, sailing from Southampton, earlier this year, and there was a gentlemen on there wearing his medals. He also looked if he was wearing a Red Military Dinner Jacket.:)

Archived