Pacific Rim earthquake/tsunami

AndyTheK

I was just looking at the newspaper there and watching Hawaii News Today feed.

Kauai - not much info still, they do have an all clear there.

Maui - Flooding in Lahaina (one person said up to the 2nd floor of some businesses, but I don't know how credible that is). In Kahului (the town where the airport is) they had at least 3 surges, one was 9 feet high and came 1/3 mile inland - reports of damage to businesses around Kahului harbor. On the Kihei side, Kihei road is flooded. Maalea harbor (I think this is the harbor where you get different whale watching, snorkeling boats in between Wailea and Kaanapali) - was severely damaged, including some boats.

Big Island - Kailua/Kona - several businesses damaged, including Bubba Gump shrimp company - reports of water being as high as the top of portable toilets in the area (yuck). Hilo, still waiting on more info, but initial reports of flooding and some minor damage there.

Oahu - damage to some boats and docks, but no recent reports.

Can't believe there isn't more news from Hawaii as already have pics from California and Oregon.

The delay has to do with the time difference - Hawaii was still in darkness when the tsunami arrived so they waited until daylight to check out the damage.

I don't know why there are more reports from Maui and the Big Island as opposed to Oahu where all the tv stations and reporters are.

I was just looking at the newspaper there and watching Hawaii News Today feed.

Kauai - not much info still, they do have an all clear there.

Maui - Flooding in Lahaina (one person said up to the 2nd floor of some businesses, but I don't know how credible that is). In Kahului (the town where the airport is) they had at least 3 surges, one was 9 feet high and came 1/3 mile inland - reports of damage to businesses around Kahului harbor. On the Kihei side, Kihei road is flooded. Maalea harbor (I think this is the harbor where you get different whale watching, snorkeling boats in between Wailea and Kaanapali) - was severely damaged, including some boats.

Big Island - Kailua/Kona - several businesses damaged, including Bubba Gump shrimp company - reports of water being as high as the top of portable toilets in the area (yuck). Hilo, still waiting on more info, but initial reports of flooding and some minor damage there.

Oahu - damage to some boats and docks, but no recent reports.

Thanks for this update. The news story I had read was posted earlier in the day. It only mentioned minor flooding and no damage. It sounds like there is more damage being discovered as the day progresses. Still, it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

We woke up this morning to the terrible news. We live 1-1/2 miles from the beach and our local news warned us that the piers from Malibu to Newport were to be closed today due to the tsunami waves expected to reach us at 8:09 a.m. They were warning everyone to stay out of the water. Not much happened, thank God!

As a Californian, we live with the worry everyday that "tomorrow may be the big one." My heart goes out to the whole nation of Japan.

My parents are on the Sapphire right now. I checked the ship's webcam earlier and it showed them near Ensenada (you can see land, but I don't think the ship was docked, maybe it is a tender port?) But I'm curious as to why a ship would go near a port with tsunami warnings in effect? I can't get the webcam to pull up now. Ugh!

My parents are on the Sapphire right now. I checked the ship's webcam earlier and it showed them near Ensenada (you can see land, but I don't think the ship was docked, maybe it is a tender port?) But I'm curious as to why a ship would go near a port with tsunami warnings in effect? I can't get the webcam to pull up now. Ugh!

Sapphire is docked in Ensenada right now.

I have friends on this cruise, it will be interesting to find out what they have to say....

OCEAN PRINCESS is in the area, at sea between Hakata (Japan) and Vladivostok (Russia) ... could be a problem, so keep an eye on this today. DIAMOND PRINCESS is in Hong Kong ... should be OK. ROYAL PRINCESS is in Bora Bora (French Polynesia) ... a bit far, but who knows? GOLDEN PRINCESS near Maui (Hawaii), heading back to the mainland ...tsunami potential?

My parents are on the Golden Princess on a Hawaii Cruise. The left Hawaii yesterday and are headed to Enseneda, MX and will be at sea for the next few days. They should be at least 100NM away from HI at this point. Sent them an email this morning asking them if they have heard anything. Will be curious to see what they say.

Tim

This voyage did not follow the normal port sequence, it was backwards for some reason.

Which voyage?????

The Golden Princess arrives in its first Hawaiian port on a Monday and consecutively (unless there's a problem), arrives at the other Hawaiian ports Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Then travels back to the west coast, stopping in Ensenada on a Tuesday. It's on its normal course.

The Sapphire is probably still in Ensenada. If the area got hit with any waves from the tsunami, it probably happened before the ship arrived in port (I'm guessing it arrives around 2pm, if it's like the Golden).

For the most part, most cruiseships would be okay. In fact, for some of the marinas on the west coast, some owners of boats took their vessels out a few miles out to sea and stayed there until the all clear was sounded for that area. Much of the damage to ships here were ones that stayed in the marinas. When the surge came in, some boats came loose from their moorings and got tossed about in the strong current. I haven't heard of any boats that went out a bit that were damaged.

The Royal Princess is in Bora Bora. My parents are on that ship. Any news from anyone on that ship?? I can hope and assume the ship went back out to sea where it is safer.

Maria...you are right. The passengers were awakened at 6:30 am their time by the Captains announcement they were pulling up anchor and going out to sea. They had been overnighting in the lagoon in Bora Bora. When they received an all clear, they went back to the lagoon and anchored. Shore excursions went, but later than scheduled.;) They were to have sailed to Moorea this afternoon.

We have friends on that sailing, and they emailed friends and family. Hope this eases your mind. Sorry I did not see your post earlier.

Glad to hear that all Princess ships are safe. We are currently staying at our timeshare in Kona (after being in Maui for about 12 days, arrived here yesterday). Our condo is right on the water & even though we're on the 3rd floor, we had to evacuate about 11 PM last night. Took our rental car & went to high ground--the Safeway parking lot in Kona. Got one of the last spots left. Before we left the condo, the tsunami sirens had started--very spooky in the dark. Had to spend the night in the car. Due to debris on the coastal road (Alii Drive), we weren't able to return until about 11 AM. No damage to our condo complex, as even the 1st floor is above ground level. Other nearby condos not so lucky--first floor units had water damage. We saw one nearby house rental that was knocked clear off its foundations; one more good wave would probably have taken it out into the bay.

Part of Alii Drive into the north part of Kona (toward the seawall and pier, for those of you who have been here) is still blocked off. Police told us that multiple waves came over the sea wall, leaving 3 ft. of water running down Alii. At this point, the roadway is covered in sand & torn-up chunks of asphalt, some "car-sized", according to the officer. They're currently trying to clean up.

Bubba Gump's Restaurant in Kona had patio furniture swept into a pile & the patio railing broken. There are lots of small rocks out in front that were left when the water swept through the restaurant & across the street.

Radio reported that a house was swept into Kealakua Bay (where Capt.

Cook's monument is--25-30 miles south of Kona); announcer said someone had posted a picture somewhere of the top of the house bobbing in the bay.

Haven't heard any reports of injuries here. They did a great job of warning everyone in plenty of time. Hopefully, property damage will be the extent of it.

Maria...you are right. The passengers were awakened at 6:30 am their time by the Captains announcement they were pulling up anchor and going out to sea. They had been overnighting in the lagoon in Bora Bora. When they received an all clear, they went back to the lagoon and anchored. Shore excursions went, but later than scheduled.;) They were to have sailed to Moorea this afternoon.

We have friends on that sailing, and they emailed friends and family. Hope this eases your mind. Sorry I did not see your post earlier.

:o Phyl and Jim, thank you so much for the update. Glad to hear their cruise was not impacted much. My mom has been looking forward to this cruise for a long time!

Hi All

Does anyone know if there are any Princess cruise ships in the area.

I have just had word from a friend who has someone on the QM2 which was in Tokyo yesterday and is at sea now and heading for Nagasaki.

Does anyone have ship tracking site that doesn't require payment or to register to use it?

Just hope everyone is safe.

Princess Daphne is also in Japan area. Does anybody know its whereabouts.

We have just arrived home after the 2nd March - 16th March sailing. We had smooth seas, good weather throughout and no missed ports.

We left Hilo (bound for Ensenada) about 3 hours before the earthquake hit Japan - a boutique staff member told us it had happened and that it was being reported on the news channels. This was about 7.30pm, as we returned from early traditional dining.

There were no formal announcements on board at that time. The tsunami wave passed under the ship approx. 3.30am when most people were asleep. There were some people awake, on balconies, waiting and watching...but no incidents to report.

The captain did make an announcement at the Captain's Circle event the next day, to confirm the wave passed under us etc. and stated 'at sea' was the best place to be.

Hope this reassures folks - the Golden was not affected at all.

Hayley

Archived