Pacific Rim earthquake/tsunami

AndyTheK

I notice from the webcam shots available that there are a number of ships in the Pacific Rim. Our hopes and prayers go with them that they are are safe and unaffected by the natural disasters occurring today.

Hi AndyTheK

Pictures on the news are not good, seeing cars driving down roads being washed way etc.

Mother Nature is still the most powerful force on the plant and must be respected at all times.

All we can do is pray that the loss of life is not as high as the last big tsunai, I was at sea that day.

yours Shogun

Hi All

Does anyone know if there are any Princess cruise ships in the area.

I have just had word from a friend who has someone on the QM2 which was in Tokyo yesterday and is at sea now and heading for Nagasaki.

Does anyone have ship tracking site that doesn't require payment or to register to use it?

Just hope everyone is safe.

Hi All

I have just had word from a friend who has someone on the QM2 which was in Tokyo yesterday and is at sea now and heading for Nagasaki.

Does anyone have ship tracking site that doesn't require payment or to register to use it?

Here is a ship tracking site:

http://sailwx.info/shiptrack/cruiseships.phtml

Have been following the news over here since 8am UK time. Its just awful. There has been no mention of cruise liners that I have seen. When I looked about 15 minutes ago they were saying that it is possible that the hight of the wave is not as high as they thought it would be. Of course this can all change. It is due to hit Hawaii at 1pm our time which is about 40 minutes from now. Let us hope that it will not be as bad as the original anticipation.

Does anyone know if there are any Princess cruise ships in the area

OCEAN PRINCESS is in the area, at sea between Hakata (Japan) and Vladivostok (Russia) ... could be a problem, so keep an eye on this today. DIAMOND PRINCESS is in Hong Kong ... should be OK. ROYAL PRINCESS is in Bora Bora (French Polynesia) ... a bit far, but who knows? GOLDEN PRINCESS near Maui (Hawaii), heading back to the mainland ...tsunami potential?

My understanding is that if they are at sea they will feel nothing.

Now if they are in port than they will feel the wave action.

I'm wondering about ports.

No, at sea they probably won't even notice anything at all. I assume the ships that are close to the shore just head out to sea.

OCEAN PRINCESS is in the area, at sea between Hakata (Japan) and Vladivostok (Russia) ... could be a problem, so keep an eye on this today. DIAMOND PRINCESS is in Hong Kong ... should be OK. ROYAL PRINCESS is in Bora Bora (French Polynesia) ... a bit far, but who knows? GOLDEN PRINCESS near Maui (Hawaii), heading back to the mainland ...tsunami potential?

If the ships are at sea, they will probably not notice anything. It is the ships that are in port that would be impacted.

Hi All

Those who know James Deering he is at home in tokyo with his family

they are safe.

TV here says a small ship with 100 passengers is missing.

yours shogun

I believe Pacific Princess is also in the area.

Hi All

Another one http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/#

My parents are on the Golden Princess on a Hawaii Cruise. The left Hawaii yesterday and are headed to Enseneda, MX and will be at sea for the next few days. They should be at least 100NM away from HI at this point. Sent them an email this morning asking them if they have heard anything. Will be curious to see what they say.

Tim

Both ships are at sea, heading back to the mainland. That is according to the bridgecams.

That's good. I wonder if the passengers will be told that they had a tsunami from the 7th biggest earthquake in history pass right beneath them as they slept.

We were on the Golden Princess last year, February, when there was a similar issue. We were on the way back to the mainland and Ensenada was our last stop. We did have to wait a bit of time beyond the harbor in Ensenada because of the wave/water surge issues. Hope all are safe and well..living here in LA we know what those poor people in Japan are going through. Not a fun roller coaster ride!!

One of the port sensors in Hawaii has just recorded a six-foot surge; then, the sea went back out and another surge came in and was over six-feet. No other word at this point. They think the North Shore of Oahu might get hit significantly.

John/Rick

Princess Ship positions in the Pacific... put www dot sea scanner dot com in front of the / (no space between sea and scanner)

Diamond Princess

****************************/schiffsposition.php?schiff=Diamond+Princess

Sapphire Princess

****************************/schiffsposition.php?schiff=Sapphire+Princess

Ocean Princess

****************************/schiffsposition.php?schiff=Ocean+Princess

Golden Princess

****************************/schiffsposition.php?schiff=Golden+Princess

So it looks like the Sapphire, Diamond and Golden are safe at sea. Ocean Princess was shielded by the island of Honshu.

I'm on the Sapphire, heading toward Ensenada (5 hours away) - haven't felt or seen anything (wouldn't expect to) and no announcements so far - probably won't be until it's all over.

It should have reached us by now, it probably passed us sometime in the past half hour.

Archived