Tsunami - Hawaii and West Coast

RevNeal

My prayers and thoughts are with everybody, and especially all our CCer friends, in Hawaii who have been hit by Tsunami waves up to 7 feet tall. Additionally, prayers and concern for those on the West Coast of the United States, where Tsunamis between 3.5 and 7 feet tall are projected.

Mary and Keaka, CCer friends who live on the Island of Oahu, when you have a minute please check in! Bless you and your darling children.

Praying also...

Do the ships dock or stay in Ports where a Tsunami warning as been advised?

I was in Hawaii in October 2006 on a Cruise (a Cruise Critic Cruise, actually) aboard the Zaandam when an Earthquake hit just off Hilo (where we were docked). After recalling our people ashore, the Captain set sail to get out of the way of recovery operations.

As for what will happen here on our West Coast, I don't know. San Diego is sheltered, so that might not impact ship operations. I don't know. Maybe someone else in-the-know can say.

Praying also...

Do the ships dock or stay in Ports where a Tsunami warning as been advised?

I was wondering the same thing. In some cases, they maybe better off at sea. It probably depends on the direction the port is open to the sea as some would be protected from the initial wave.

I'm staying home from work today to try to stay in touch on Facebook and skype (still no connection there) with our son and his bride who live in Tokyo. He is about 30 miles from their apartment and is on foot as traffic is gridlocked and public transit has stopped (it is now 1:30AM there). His wife walked 2.5 hrs from her office on the bay to their home to find it in a complete mess, but still safe.

Prayers to all living in the tsunami advisory areas, and for those in Japan for safety.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Gerry

I was wondering the same thing. In some cases, they maybe better off at sea. It probably depends on the direction the port is open to the sea as some would be protected from the initial wave.

From what we were told, a ship is always in better shape at sea than in dock. Way out in the deep ocean Tsunamis pass under the ship without the passengers aboard even noticing. Close in to shore is a different matter.

I'm staying home from work today to try to stay in touch on Facebook and skype (still no connection there) with our son and his bride who live in Tokyo. He is about 30 miles from their apartment and is on foot as traffic is gridlocked and public transit has stopped (it is now 1:30AM there). His wife walked 2.5 hrs from her office on the bay to their home to find it in a complete mess, but still safe.

Prayers to all living in the tsunami advisory areas, and for those in Japan for safety.

Gerry, Prayers for your son and all those in Japan, indeed!

I was in Hawaii in October 2006 on a Cruise (a Cruise Critic Cruise, actually) aboard the Zaandam when an Earthquake hit just off Hilo (where we were docked). After recalling our people ashore, the Captain set sail to get out of the way of recovery operations.

As for what will happen here on our West Coast, I don't know. San Diego is sheltered, so that might not impact ship operations. I don't know. Maybe someone else in-the-know can say.

Actually, it was Kona, not Hilo, where the earthquake hit and we sailed away as soon as that first tender of passengers were back aboard. I wasn't a member of CruiseCritic at the time so didn't realize it was a Cruise Critic cruise. I also hadn't read your posts at the time and have since been sorry I didn't know you were aboard. I would love to have met you.

My prayers too for all the people affected by the disastrous earthquake in Japan and the resulting tsunami.

The footage and reports from Japan are horrifying. 30 foot Tsunami waves! All the cars being washed away. All the PEOPLE. Lord have mercy.

was taken at home by someone living in Sendai while the quake was happening.

In San Diego the Navy is NOT moving any of their ships out of the harbor.

Here in Baja, the Mexican Govt. alerted all of the communities along the coast to be alert.

After seeing very little wave action in Hawaii and almost nothing in Cresent City, Ca.

I figure it is just another beautiful day on the ocean.

However, after seeing the horrific scenes in Japan, I am not sure that anyone can

comprehend what those people are going through. I think it will be many years before

the low lying areas are back to normal.

Greg

Actually, it was Kona, not Hilo, where the earthquake hit and we sailed away as soon as that first tender of passengers were back aboard. I wasn't a member of CruiseCritic at the time so didn't realize it was a Cruise Critic cruise. I also hadn't read your posts at the time and have since been sorry I didn't know you were aboard. I would love to have met you.

You're RIGHT! It was off Kona! The Zaandam shook VERY VERY hard early in the morning, just after the first people went ashore in Kona. The captain said that the earthquake vibrations propagated up the anchor chain much more strongly than he would have ver thought it would. We did hang off the shore for a bit after we got the last of the passengers aboard, though. I remember the captain coming on the PA and announcing when all the passengers were aboard, but that we were going to wait for a few minutes to get Coast Guard clearance in order to make sure we wouldn't be causing navigation problems for in-coming support vessels.

We'll have a chance to meet at some point in the future. :) There are always future cruises!!!

was taken at home by someone living in Sendai while the quake was happening.

Thank you for sharing the video - I can't imagine how frightening it must have been to endure something like that. Our son has reported several small quakes over the couple of years he's been there, but certainly was not prepared for anything of this magnitude. He was teaching kindergarten when it struck. Thankfully they were able to unite all the children safely with their parents before they could begin to think of getting to their own homes.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Gerry

At Holland America Line the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is our top priority. We continue to monitor the sea conditions resulting from the earthquake in Japan. All our ships and guests are safe and have not been impacted by this sad event. Guests onboard ships in nearby areas are being updated and reassured.

At Holland America Line the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is our top priority. We continue to monitor the sea conditions resulting from the earthquake in Japan. All our ships and guests are safe and have not been impacted by this sad event. Guests onboard ships in nearby areas are being updated and reassured.

Thank you for being on top of this! Keep everybody -- crews and passengers alike -- safe!

The loss of life in Japan is tragic. The pictures last night were so frightening. We have a son in Hilo and a daughter in Lahaina so I was immediately on the phone with both making sure they took this tsunami seriously. We live in Southern California 4 houses from the beach and the helicopters have been busy. There was one naval ship that went out to sea and a few boats dislodged from their moorings but nothing serious.

It will be interesting to see how far the cruise ships went out to sea in the Hawaiian islands.

I can't even imagine the sorrow and devastation being felt in Japan today. Cherie

This is all just so sad - so much loss of life - and the devestation.

Our prayers are with everyone. It's nice to see HAL post an update on the boards. Very considerate.

My thoughts and prayers go to the people in Japan and others in the tsunami's path with hopes of a safe and speedy recovery and condolences to survivors of loved ones lost in the terrible tragedy.

Archived