Disembarkation in Barcelona

wingit

We're new to Oceania. Our cruise will end in Barcelona where we will be spending 3 days in the Ramblas/Gothic district. We would like to book a 10am walking tour of that district. Considering that we will have to go through customs, get a cab to our hotel, etc. -- do you think 10am is doable or is it just too early to make it work?

Thank you for any input or help.

We're new to Oceania. Our cruise will end in Barcelona where we will be spending 3 days in the Ramblas/Gothic district. We would like to book a 10am walking tour of that district. Considering that we will have to go through customs, get a cab to our hotel, etc. -- do you think 10am is doable or is it just too early to make it work?

WAAY too early. You can't really count on doing anything before noon on that first day because "nobody does nothin" until the ship is cleared.

I'd suggest that you do the hop on hop off bus on that first day (for which you buy tickets as you board the bus) to get an overview of the city, and do your walking the next day (or do one of those new nightlife tours, if you're not too exhausted).

Have a great trip!

WAAY too early. You can't really count on doing anything before noon on that first day because "nobody does nothin" until the ship is cleared.

I'd suggest that you do the hop on hop off bus on that first day (for which you buy tickets as you board the bus) to get an overview of the city, and do your walking the next day (or do one of those new nightlife tours, if you're not too exhausted).

Have a great trip!

Thank you JimandStan! The more I thought about the more unrealistic it felt. HOHO bus sounds like it might be a good idea. Will look into it. Thanks again.

Agree with Stan and Jim.. HOHO is the way to go for the first day. If you get your ticket in the afternoon you can use it the next day in the morning..It really is quite a good deal. Also going under the Abril 26(?) bridge is an experience if you arrive at high tide. We did it on a windstar with 2 meters (80 in) to spare..A real WOW!!

I respectively differ with Jim on this one. The ship will be cleared in the early morning, long before people start disembarking after breakfast.

My spouse likes to sleep as late as possible, so we always are one of the last ones off the ship just before the 9 AM disembarkation deadline imposed by Oceania so that it has time to prepare for the embarking passengers. This past May, it took us five minutes to walk off the ship, walk through the terminal and collect our luggage there.

There is no individual customs event at all when you get off ship in an EU (European Union) port from another EU port; and the ship long will be cleared.

With the port located right in central Barcelona, we got in the first of the waiting taxis, and it was a 15-minute taxi ride to our hotel between Plaza Catalunya and Universitat. We were checked into our hotel room by 9:30 AM and were out walking through Plaza Catalunya to the Ramblas and touring the Gothic quarter soon after using our Rick Steves' Barcelona guidebook, which includes some excellent walking tours of Barcelona.

Thank you JimandStan! The more I thought about the more unrealistic it felt. HOHO bus sounds like it might be a good idea. Will look into it. Thanks again.

We always book and pay online for any HOHO tours we intend to do. Saves waiting in a line to purchase tickets and also motivates us to do it as sometimes when we arrived in port we lack a bit of motivation but having the ticket pre purchased gets us going.

When we disembarked in Barcelona, we were among the last group off because we didn't need to catch a plane. We had a fairly long line to wait on for a taxi. We also stayed in the old Gothic Quarter, which is charming with its winding streets. However, those streets caused our driver confusion and he got lost trying to find our hotel, which had a name similar to another hotel. You know what they say about the best laid plans... Allowing for unforeseen occurrences, 10:00 would be too early to take a walking tour. We checked into our hotel and then did a self-guided walking tour using Rick Steves Barcelona book. But the HOHO is a great idea as well. Or spend the afternoon at Parc Guell, including a visit to Gaudi's home. It's fascinating. Enjoy!

Harriet

I agree with Harriet about Parc Guell. We spent a lot of time there, of course part of that time was spent because we got lost! One wonderful thing about Barcelona is the many Gaudi sites you can visit.

I was going to say I didn't see a problem with a 10am walking tour when I first saw the question (before there were any answers) because I know you get off the ship early -- unless customs takes an inordinate time in clearing the ship, although that DID happen to us ONCE -- and the port is close to Las Ramblas.

But then you would want to get rid of your luggage at the hotel ... and all of these permutations can make 10am a difficult appointment to keep. So with several days in Barcelona, there's no urgency on doing that walking tour the first morning.

So I agree with everybody! Nobody ever calls me wishy-washy ... much.

We were checked into our hotel room by 9:30 AM and were out walking through Plaza Catalunya to the Ramblas and touring the Gothic quarter soon after using our Rick Steves' Barcelona guidebook, which includes some excellent walking tours of Barcelona.

Allowing for unforeseen occurrences, 10:00 would be too early to take a walking tour. We checked into our hotel and then did a self-guided walking tour using Rick Steves Barcelona book. But the HOHO is a great idea as well. Or spend the afternoon at Parc Guell, including a visit to Gaudi's home. It's fascinating. Enjoy!

Harriet

Thank you both for your perspectives - very helpful. I took your advice and just ordered Rick Steves' Barcelona book to my Kindle. Can't wait to read it! I think a self-guided walking tour would be great.

Just be sure to watch your wallet and pay attention to all of the possible Barcelona scams and their permutations.

I know about the one where someone "helps" you after they put ketchup or mustard on your clothing but wasn't expecting the guy who "helped" us when a pigeon from above soiled our clothing. Actually it was no pigeon but his cohort, and I realized too late what was happening and couldn't warn my husband in time.

Just be sure to watch your wallet and pay attention to all of the possible Barcelona scams and their permutations.

Yes, Barcelona has claimed the title of "pickpocket capital of the world" - although I know they had plenty of competetion. Just like other large cities, you have to be smart and careful. I had not heard the pigeon one. I had it happen for real on Santorini and it wasn't pleasant. Guess if it happens in Barcelona I won't look for a nasty bird - at least not a feathered one!

Thank you both for your perspectives - very helpful. I took your advice and just ordered Rick Steves' Barcelona book to my Kindle. Can't wait to read it! I think a self-guided walking tour would be great.

I am a huge fan of Rick Steves' guidebooks for European travel. He has excellent walking tours and actual site tours and does a very good job with providing both practical transportation information and museum tours, particularly art museums.

Also, now you no longer have to worry about a 10 AM walking tour deadline or how long the taxi line takes!

Enjoy this marvelous city. We also had three days there last May post-cruise, and spent one entire day in the Gothic quarter and one entire day devoted to Gaudi, including getting caught in a late-day rain in Parc Guell.

Our experience debarcing in Barcelona had us off the ship at 7:30 and at the hotel by 8. We could not check in but could leave our luggage, that ended up being an extra morning of site seeing. So if you don't have to prebook the tour, you still might make it if you feel like being an early riser/debarcer.

Yes, Barcelona has claimed the title of "pickpocket capital of the world" - although I know they had plenty of competetion. Just like other large cities, you have to be smart and careful. I had not heard the pigeon one. I had it happen for real on Santorini and it wasn't pleasant. Guess if it happens in Barcelona I won't look for a nasty bird - at least not a feathered one!

Haven't heard of the mustard/ketchup/pigeon poop scam but even though we read Rick Steves my husband was pickpocketed there while getting on the hoho bus. Someone pushing to get in line and when he pushed back the other guy picked his pocket. We had two other "episodes" in Barcelona and learned a lot of lessons...and left with some stories to tell.

On another note, the hoho bus was a great way to see all of Barcelona -

I respectively differ with Jim on this one. The ship will be cleared in the early morning, long before people start disembarking after breakfast.

My spouse likes to sleep as late as possible, so we always are one of the last ones off the ship just before the 9 AM disembarkation deadline imposed by Oceania so that it has time to prepare for the embarking passengers. This past May, it took us five minutes to walk off the ship, walk through the terminal and collect our luggage there.

There is no individual customs event at all when you get off ship in an EU (European Union) port from another EU port; and the ship long will be cleared.

+1. On our cruise that ended in Barcelona, we disembarked early to catch our flight, but it was the same experience as CintiPam. Walk off, pick up luggage and into the city (for the taxi to the airport). No customs.

Way too early is right! You might try looking into the city bus tour, which is wonderful. Takes you all over the city and you can get off and on as you like. We were in Barcelona for three days and found out about it at our hotel, so, if you have limited time, I would check Google for any possible information.

Enjoy your trip!;)

Archived