Azamara Quest 5/2 from HK - bronchial infection

toby27

Hi all,

I recently did the cruise from HK on 5/2 to Singapore. Firstly, I would like to say it was a most wonderful cruise - my first. I have nothing to compare it to but someone told me that I have been spoiled from now on, and I believe this is true. It was a wonderful experience and I made some really memorable friends that I am keeping in touch with.

The only thing is I contracted a sinus/chest infection as did a number of other passengers. The cruise ended 22/2 and I am still fighting this off after several rounds of antibiotics. My doctor informed me it is bacterial bronchitis most probably spread through the ship's air con system and may take some time to resolve, it is only now starting to get better. I would like to request Azamara to disinfect their aircon system on a regular basis to stop this from occurring. I guess its like all aircon systems, you have to keep it clean.

Anyway apart from that, it was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone.

Jenny

Hello Jenny,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your February 5th vacation experience on the Azamara Quest in spite of the sinus/chest infection that you experienced. I hope that you’re feeling better.

I’ve been waiting for information from our marine & technical department about our air conditioning maintenance program so that my response to your request that we “disinfect (our) aircon system on a regular basis” would be more meaningful.

We already have an ongoing maintenance procedure for our air conditioning system on both vessels and here is a brief overview:

1. The air filters for the supply air flow are replaced with new ones throughout each ship, every 6 months. The last replacement on the Quest was on January 17, 2011.

2. Also, three-four times per year there is an intermediate cleaning of the air filters. At that time they are sanitized and disinfected with Bio-Cide, which is the industry-leading sanitizer for air duct applications and mold remediation.

I appreciate that you shared your concern which offered me the opportunity to reiterate to you and others that our primary concern is the safety of our guests which includes ensuring that we provide a healthy shipboard environment.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard again and again.

Stay well!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Jenny,

We are boarding the Quest on 3/29 and cannot wait!

Many people are suffering from bacterial bronchitis here in Shanghai (I live here). We also have friends in Hong Kong that have been stricken. It has taken many people 3-5 weeks to fully recover.

I hope you feel better soon.

Alice

Thanks Bill for sharing details of the comprehensive maintenance programme. Such a pity the airlines, hotels and restaurants we visit as part of a cruise are not as rigorous. I do hope the op is better now. Feeling I'll after a holiday is never a good feeling

Workplaces in Toronto are full of this bug - you probably got it from someone from our part of the world. Its a nasty one and people are ending up with Pneumonia and hospitalization.

We are just back from a land trip to Vietnam and Cambodia and picked up colds there too!

We already have an ongoing maintenance procedure for our air conditioning system on both vessels and here is a brief overview:
You are doing a good job in giving such answers immediately. We are impressed.

Hello Jenny,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your February 5th vacation experience on the Azamara Quest in spite of the sinus/chest infection that you experienced. I hope that you’re feeling better.

I’ve been waiting for information from our marine & technical department about our air conditioning maintenance program so that my response to your request that we “disinfect (our) aircon system on a regular basis” would be more meaningful.

1. The air filters for the supply air flow are replaced with new ones throughout each ship, every 6 months. The last replacement on the Quest was on January 17, 2011.

2. Also, three-four times per year there is an intermediate cleaning of the air filters. At that time they are sanitized and disinfected with Bio-Cide, which is the industry-leading sanitizer for air duct applications and mold remediation.

I appreciate that you shared your concern which offered me the opportunity to reiterate to you and others that our primary concern is the safety of our guests which includes ensuring that we provide a healthy shipboard environment.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard again and again.

Stay well!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Dear Bill, thank you so much for your comments. I am sure that Azamara does the best that they can do for their passengers... I guess it only takes one person to spread something and so it goes.. It was still the best trip ever and I have some wonderful memories. I am truly on the mend now and feeling much better after some treatment.

Thanks for your reply.

Jenny

Jenny,

We are boarding the Quest on 3/29 and cannot wait!

Many people are suffering from bacterial bronchitis here in Shanghai (I live here). We also have friends in Hong Kong that have been stricken. It has taken many people 3-5 weeks to fully recover.

I hope you feel better soon.

Alice

Hi Alice, thanks for your comments. It is quite possible I may have picked it up in HK and symptoms only came out a few days later. Anyway I am well on my way to feeling well now. Hope you enjoy your cruise as I am sure you will, it is a most beautiful ship and the service is just wonderful as are all the staff on board. Enjoy!!!

Jenny

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I returned last night from the Asia cruise on the Quest 3/05 to 3/29 BtoB. We both have appointments to see our Dr. this AM with the same thing. When we departed the ship in Hong Kong it was obvious we were not the only ones suffering, the Public rooms were filled w/ passengers coughing. It started before our arrival in Hong Kong, but not sure how we contacted it. I do believe we contacted it on the ship, probaly from other passengers. I noticed on our Plane ride home on Cathay Pacific there were others coughing as well (can't mistake that deep chest cough)

In addition on the cruise many of the passengers were affected w/a skin rash, not just a few mind you but many. Not sure the ship ever found out why, but it was thought from other passengers afflicted that it was from the water (Showers). I discussed this w/the Ships Dr, he wouldn't commit to why. It was the topic of many discussions.

However w/that said we did enjoy the cruise, the ship and its great service, but still when we got aboard we both were healthy and feeling great not so great now.

My wife and I returned last night from the Asia cruise on the Quest 3/05 to 3/29 BtoB. We both have appointments to see our Dr. this AM with the same thing. When we departed the ship in Hong Kong it was obvious we were not the only ones suffering, the Public rooms were filled w/ passengers coughing. .
It looks like this epidemic is going on both on land and at sea. This week, both cats are coughing, spitting, sneezing and running low grade fever. We went to see a family doctor, and were told that he was suffering from the same thing!

We have a few pax now on the Voyager (sailed form HK) last night (saw the Quest at Hong Kong's Oceans Terminal yesterday about noon) with the bronchitis virus/bug as well.

Hi Wes, hope you two have a great cruise, saw the regent pull into Hong Kong Harbor right during the Light show. Talked with a Regent passenger on my flight home to LA, said it was a great ship and all had a good time. said there were many passengers on the regent who hd the same lung problems. Don't know what you can do to protect yourself,s. Sheila and I took every precaution we could, washed hour hands constantly, used disinfectants at every chance, tried to avoid other passengrs who were obviously sick, but we still caught it, both of us about 4 days before our cruise ended.

I do not believe many of the passengers sought medical Help from the ships Doctor. Wondered if some were afraid of being quarantined, embarrassed, didn't want to pay the ships Doctor's charge of 120.00 or what, when we left the ship in Hong Kong it sounded like an Emerency Ward in the public Rooms, seemed like everyone was coughing that deep chest cough. Sheila and I never really started that deep Lung Cough until our flight home that night. We both went to the Dr yesterday. and are now on Antibiotics, neither of us feeling well enough to leave the house.

Not sure if the Ships Officers, Dr, Captain, ect were really aware of how serious it really was, although at the Gang Plank when leaving the ship, it was apparent that two of the Ships Officers who were saying Goodbye to the passengers were infected as well.

I'll bet the Quest was not disenfected after we all left and would be surprised if the Regent took any action either. This is a major problem with cruising and one risk we accept when we board any ship, so many people so closely confined, it doesn't take much for such a quick medical problem to incur.

I do hope you and your wife will be OK, try to take as many precautions as are available to you both - God Speed.

"Mitch" and Sheila

This problem is not confined to AZ. I was on an O Caribbean cruise Feb. 24-March 8 and I got a bronchial infection that I still have. It seems every time we take a cruise either my husband or myself get a cold or bronchial infection.

As someone who has been in the air filter industry for over 30 years, selling air filters, I can tell you that changing them 2 times a year is not enough. That is probably part of the problem. Spraying some "Biocide" stuff isn't going to do a darn thing either. I've asked to see the air handling system each time I've sailed an R ship, but have never been allowed.

Got E-Mails today from two other couples who were on our Cruise, one came home with pneumonia the other 3 had the same Lung infections, I would wager that more than 50% of all passengers on the Quest were sick and infected with the same Viral condition. I do believe the ship should have been disinfected in Hong Kong before the new passengers came aboard, I'll bet that leg of the cruise to Singapore was even worse.

We were the recent Shanghai to Hong Kong cruise , both well on board as were most people we dealt with. Difficult to avoid spread of viruses when people are in a confined space however they are spread from person to person and so disinfection of surfaces seems pointless. Passengers had all flown on International flights and most stayed in hotels prior to embarkation so smoe may have bought in on with them! My point is stop the blame game if you got sick was bad luck.

PS We had a great cruise yes weather was cold but we were aware of that when we booked

I was also on the 3/5-3/29 back to back cruises from HK. I had a little cough while on board which seemes to have stopped once I got home. However, I did get that rash on my legs! At the spa, they said it was from the water and gave me something to use. It didnt' help. I saw my dermatologist when I got home and he claims it is eczema. I am on a steroid now and that seems to be working. Something sure was going around the Quest. Hope they find out what it is and clear it up because it is no fun to be on vacation and not feel well enough to do anything.

Let me add my 2 cents..

First, we too were on the B2B from HK to HK (via Shanghai) on the 5 and 17 of March - and - to sum it up - we had great 2 cruises.

Second - we came home really ill.. I with headaches and an awful cough (which I still have), and my husband with high fever, running nose etc. (he's OK now, thanks for asking)

So do I think we got it on the ship?

I HAVE NO IDEA ( and don't really care)

If I try to think "scientifically" (and I did work in clinical research once :o), what I can see reported here is a considerable (or at least - quite loud ) number of sick people - with many different symptoms, and many differnt diagnoses. .

I can compete (and probably even win!) in a coughing match with anyone - but my lungs haven't been affected AT ALL (checked).. unlike many here who mentioned pneumonia. And I am not even sure that my DH and myself had the same virus - as our symptoms and the progressions of our illnesses were completely different.

What I do know is that we visited 4 ports in China, 3 in S.Korea and 2 in Japan (should have been 3 but we, alas, missed Osaka - for obvious reasons).

Nine (very interesting) ports altogether in a part of world that has been totally strange to us and our organisms (and I am not even counting HK and the flight there!). We got off the ship in all of them.. we met local people - guides, vendors, just people on the street who were sometimes eager for a photo with us (Gwen was a great hit with her blond perm).. We ate local food - which had been of course prepared and handled out of our sight.. We did all that - and loved (almost) every minute of it.

I am sure many of us came back to the ship from all those ports already infected with "their own" virus. And once all those viruses boarded the ship - no amount of scrubbing could have gotten rid of them - or even totally avoided their spreading.. So what's the point "to blame" the ship?

My own conclusions after that:

1. Maybe - for a while - I should stuck to closer destinations? The Med. looks awful attractive just now,,

2. Next time we go to "cold" places - an interior cabin can suffice.. We've never "used" the verandah (except in ports) - but we could feel the chill coming through the big doors.

I hope everybody feels better by now :)

See you all on future cruises!

Miriam

And I am not even sure that my DH and myself had the same virus - as our symptoms and the progressions of our illnesses were completely different.

I am sure many of us came back to the ship from all those ports already infected with "their own" virus. And once all those viruses boarded the ship - no amount of scrubbing could have gotten rid of them - or even totally avoided their spreading.. So what's the point "to blame" the ship?

My own conclusions after that:

1. Maybe - for a while - I should stuck to closer destinations? The Med. looks awful attractive just now,,

2. Next time we go to "cold" places - an interior cabin can suffice.. We've never "used" the verandah (except in ports) - but we could feel the chill coming through the big doors.

Miriam

As you already know, you don't get a virus from the cold weather. Fortunately so far we have never gotten sick on a ship. We have also cruised in both the Arctic and Antarctica. So, going to the Med (warmer weather) won't make a difference.

I am not talking about you, but it's sad that people get on these ships who are ill and than infect others. You have to fill out a health questionnaire and it's sad on some of these (more active) mass market cruise forums people admit to lying on the health forms prior to embarkation and than they infect others who already have weak immune systems.

Got E-Mails today from two other couples who were on our Cruise, one came home with pneumonia the other 3 had the same Lung infections, I would wager that more than 50% of all passengers on the Quest were sick and infected with the same Viral condition. I do believe the ship should have been disinfected in Hong Kong before the new passengers came aboard, I'll bet that leg of the cruise to Singapore was even worse.

If it was more than 50% wouldn't the Captain/Cruise Director/Doctor have to announce this (Noro) and also explain the precautions that were being taken (salt and pepper removed from the tables?) vs. remaining hush hush?

To add to Miriam's posting, my wife and I were on the Quest on the same trip - the second leg from Shanghai to Hong Kong.

I'm 77 and other than falling down a step in Shanghai prior to boarding the Quest and twisting an ankle thus making me less mobile than before - which isn't saying much - I did not have any of the virus' or other illness complained about.

My wife is a bit younger, has RA and a compromised immune system, but she did not incur any illnesses.

Like Miriam and Emmanuel and others, we ate at various locales off the ship - street food etc and were in close contact with the locals.

There may be many reasons why people get ill but I would not blame the ship as the sole cause of the illness.

The weather was cold and blustery and there the smog level was high on days and that may have led to colds, coughs etc.

My two-cents

Let me add my 2 cents..

First, we too were on the B2B from HK to HK (via Shanghai) on the 5 and 17 of March - and - to sum it up - we had great 2 cruises.

What I do know is that we visited 4 ports in China, 3 in S.Korea and 2 in Japan (should have been 3 but we, alas, missed Osaka - for obvious reasons).

Nine (very interesting) ports altogether in a part of world that has been totally strange to us and our organisms (and I am not even counting HK and the flight there!). We got off the ship in all of them.. we met local people - guides, vendors, just people on the street who were sometimes eager for a photo with us (Gwen was a great hit with her blond perm).. We ate local food - which had been of course prepared and handled out of our sight.. We did all that - and loved (almost) every minute of it.

Miriam

I have taken multiple land vacations all over Asia. I get sick every time I go there. I just expect it and pack lots of drugs. The only Asian country with decent food preparation and hygiene is Japan.

Archived