Is It Safe To Pre Register?

marc62

We are thinking of booking our first cruise with Cunard (QE) to celebrate our 30th aniv. We have found a cruise we like and are happy with the price being quoted as we understand that Cunard do not reduce further (is that right?). The TA however has said that when they are able to book the cruise on 4th April the price may go up as the advertised prices by Cunard may increase on the day!

Is this right as I am not too keen on giving my details after agreeing a price which they may then increase. Are we worring about nothing??

Thanks for your help

Marc

Your T/A is using what they call Fluid pricing that means the price they Quote is only valid for the duration of the phone call, This price can go up!! on your next call then again it can also go down.

Quotes are meaningless unless your TA has held an option , followed by a deposit . That guarantee's no rate increase (except possible fuel & tax increase).

Cunard does lower rates when sailings need help . Rates can change several times , up/down on any sailing , at any time. However I think in the UK , you can't have your rate reduced to match , as you can in the US.

Quotes are meaningless unless your TA has held an option , followed by a deposit . That guarantee's no rate increase (except possible fuel & tax increase).

Cunard does lower rates when sailings need help . Rates can change several times , up/down on any sailing , at any time. However I think in the UK , you can't have your rate reduced to match , as you can in the US.

Hi MCC

I think you may have misunderstood my question.

We have been given an identical price by a number of TA who will take a booking for a cruise which they will confirm / book with Cunard on 4th April (realease date). They have all said that the price they have quoted may alter on the date (do not know why). I would like to know if this is common with Cunard (1st cruise with them) and what are the chances of the price being increased at the time of TA booking. They will not take any money from our card until that point. We are looking for an A5 or A5 cabin which there are plenty

Confused :confused:

Marc

PS My wife wants to know if the formal nights are long gowns as opposed to a cocktail dress

I usually pre-register with a TA. What you need to do about fluid pricing is give the TA a maximum price that are willing to pay. Hopefully you will get it for the quoted price, but if not, you both know where you stand.

Fluid pricing is common amongst cruise lines, especially Cunard. If a cruise is selling very well, the price will increase. When my TA booked me on the Queen Elizabeth Maiden he said the price was going up something like every 12 minutes!

Hi MCC

PS My wife wants to know if the formal nights are long gowns as opposed to a cocktail dress

You will see people wearing both. Cunard is the most formal of the lines and many will be wearing full-length evening gowns, but cocktail dresses are fine too.

I usually pre-register with a TA. What you need to do about fluid pricing is give the TA a maximum price that are willing to pay. Hopefully you will get it for the quoted price, but if not, you both know where you stand.

Fluid pricing is common amongst cruise lines, especially Cunard. If a cruise is selling very well, the price will increase. When my TA booked me on the Queen Elizabeth Maiden he said the price was going up something like every 12 minutes!

In fact the price went above the book price by a considerable amount on that day

For formal nights, the majority of the female passengers are in floor length gowns. I have several simple sheath dresses I've picked up inexpensively that I wear. Cocktail length is most appropriate for semi-formal nights.

At least this has been my experience.

~tammy

In fact the price went above the book price by a considerable amount on that day

It did indeed, but thankfully my TA managed to get our cabin at close to initial quote.

Voyages like that are an exception. Normally it is unlikely to go up that much that quickly, unless it is a one-off event. The meeting of the 3 Queens in Southampton next June may be one of those !!

LOL

Thanks for the laugh, WD.

But which one is worn under? The short or the long?

The short over long of course :)

As Sthrngal says - full-length is the norm, but don't get stressed about it. If your wife is happier in a cocktail dress, no one will comment.

It did indeed, but thankfully my TA managed to get our cabin at close to initial quote.

Voyages like that are an exception. Normally it is unlikely to go up that much that quickly, unless it is a one-off event. The meeting of the 3 Queens in Southampton next June may be one of those !!

You are quite right, they are an exception, I dont fluid prices really happen much these days other than a few exceptions, I have prebooked two so far and I have told thats the price for the cabin grade.

I have prebooked all my voyages since 2006 and other than the QE maiden voyage I have never had the price rise evey 20 mins.

Cunard here dont reduce the prices, if this helps, I have never had a better deal after booking on the 1st of booking,and I have checked often to see.

ask anothe rTA if your unsure, wont hurt to get a few quotes in

The price of the next cruise we're taking in just over 3 months decreased perhaps £500 since we started looking at it in early February. However, the price now seems steady and as of a few minutes ago, the quote is exactly what we paid about 3 weeks ago.

I think it must be strictly supply and demand. If Cunard thinks they can fill the ship, I doubt they will cut the prices. Actually, it might even be a bad business model as the early bookers will feel they got the shaft by signing up early.

Archived