Passport question: Should be obvious but......

cwistyred

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I got a new passport in 2008 in my maiden name as I had not legally changed my name on my DL or Social Security. Just recently I changed my name on all necessary paperwork other than the passport. I kept my maiden name and just added my husband's name on the end. I don't mean to be "thrifty" but I really don't want to spend the money at this moment to get a new passport. I don't currently have any trips planned but of course that could change. Does everyone think that I could use the old passport along with a marriage license? Or should I book only in my maiden name? Or just stop being cheap and get a new passport? And yes I found out that if I had asked for a new passport within one year of getting the first one it wouldn't have cost as much. Hindsight is 20 - 20.

Thanks for any input!

If your cruise documents and other paperwork are going to be in your new name, your passport will be invalid. You really do need to get a new one in your new name. It's the same as if you would be a newlywed. It must be in your legal name.

You will need to update your passport. I think the form is the DS-82, which is $110.00. Seems unfair, I know, as the cost of a new passport is the same! I am in the process of changing mine over, and still have five years left on my old one.

You just need to use the name on your passport as the name on your flight tickets and cruise booking.

That's what I was thinking since my maiden is still on all my legal documents, all I have added is his name to the end. I mean it's still the same name visible on the passport and on my DL. Currently one of my credit cards is in my maiden name and when they ask to see my ID, the license has that plus the married name. It hasn't been an issue.

I looked online at the information from the government is confusing as well. I'm sure they would like the extra money.

I will probably break down and get a new one when an exciting trip becomes a reality.

I know..... procrastination.

The passport office decides how your name(s) will be stated on your passport.

After years and decades of having my passports with my name including my maiden name, the passport office dropped my maiden name on the most recent renewal and picked up a middle name that I hated and hadn't used since marriage.

I have to change the names I use on my airline records (for each airline) and for cruises.

If your cruise documents and other paperwork are going to be in your new name, your passport will be invalid. You really do need to get a new one in your new name. It's the same as if you would be a newlywed. It must be in your legal name.

Not so. I used my old passport and marriage license as I was in the exact same situation as OP. My passport was less than 2 years old. I wasn't going to fork over the entire renewal fee again so quickly. So I waited until it was about 18 months from expiring then renewed with a name change. Nobody questioned the validity of the passport.

If you have legally changed your name (i.e., your SSN / Card / DL said Jane Smith and now says Jane Smith Parker), then yes, you definetially want to get a new passport. If you are just signing documents as Jane Smith Parker but have not gone through the process of legally changing your name, then no.

My wife, who's passport was to expire in the next year anyway, had to do this. If your passport is less then 1 year old, then you can do it without a fee. A friend of mine in 2001 was able to do it.

On a personal level, I would say get it done. Its better to spend the $110 now then be unable to get on the ship or reenter the US.

kajtdd

• 1 year later...
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I got a new passport in 2008 in my maiden name as I had not legally changed my name on my DL or Social Security. Just recently I changed my name on all necessary paperwork other than the passport. I kept my maiden name and just added my husband's name on the end. I don't mean to be "thrifty" but I really don't want to spend the money at this moment to get a new passport. I don't currently have any trips planned but of course that could change. Does everyone think that I could use the old passport along with a marriage license? Or should I book only in my maiden name? Or just stop being cheap and get a new passport? And yes I found out that if I had asked for a new passport within one year of getting the first one it wouldn't have cost as much. Hindsight is 20 - 20.

Thanks for any input!

This is for Christy,

I've been trying to get in touch with you since our cruise in 08 and lost your info. Not sure if you're on FB or not. Here's my e-mail lynitasells@verizon.net We were on the excursions with you guys to Pompeii and would love to get together again. Hope this is ok not sure how else to get in touch.

Lynita

You just need to use the name on your passport as the name on your flight tickets and cruise booking.
Paul is absolutely correct.

It is very simple and there is no need for all the confusion.

You don't need to change your name on anything unless you choose to do so.

The important thing is to book your cruise and your airline flights under the same name that is on the passport you will be using for the trip.

It makes no difference whether it is your maiden name or married name, just that the passport and boarding pass you present to travel both have the same name.

Paul is absolutely correct.

It is very simple and there is no need for all the confusion.

You don't need to change your name on anything unless you choose to do so.

The important thing is to book your cruise and your airline flights under the same name that is on the passport you will be using for the trip.

It makes no difference whether it is your maiden name or married name, just that the passport and boarding pass you present to travel both have the same name.

BUT . . . just be certain to only show your passport wherever photo ID and a cruise/flight document is needed - getting back into the customs area to reboard the ship. You might even want to leave the "other name" documents at home.

Archived