Diabetic Needing Insulin

AlaskaFan05

Hello,

My DW and I got my parents a cruise this June for a xmas present and our one big concern is how to handle their insulin. We are sailing on Carnival and they dont have refridgerators in the cabins. My parents Doctor insists that insulin must be kept refridgerated. Carnival has told us that they have a fridge for medicine storage however it is only accessible by cabin stewards. Has anyone had this experience before and if so, what did you do? Thanks for any info.

Jeff

Hi,

My husband is also a diabetic, and we have taken Carnival twice in the past. There is a form which I believe that we found at there web site to download and fax to them requesting a frig in the room. They honored it both times and there was a frig there in the room for us. When we called to ask about this they said they couldn't help with the frig. Hope this helps.

Jan

All else fails, take a small lunch cooler and ice packs and/or plastic bags for ice. Place a facecloth or napkin over ice pack and then place insulin over that. This would also be a good choice for day trips/flying, etc., even if you do get a frig.

I am a public health nurse.

There are so many people who use insulin, Carnival has to have a workable system for handling it. This is not a unique need or request.

Many times the shore reps answering the phones are ill trained or ill informed and the info they give is not always accurate.

Put in a request for a cabin refrig now and follow through when you arrive at the ship.

They know many people require this.

Go to the website and get the email for the Special Needs department. Email them giving your name, room number, sailing etc. They will email you the form and you fill it out. Go ahead and request the refrigerator now. Fax back the request and then if you don't hear anything in a couple of weeks email them to follow-up. Keep and print your email confirmation and take it with you in case of a problem. I understand that they only have so many extras. If you cannot get a fridge as a last resort (besides your own ice pack) is to keep it at the refrigerator at the pursor's desk. That's what one online rep told me.

We got a fridge for our room for our cruise last Nov. for my DD who has 2 refrigerated insulins. It was in the cabin waiting for us. But I had my printed email confirmation with me just in case.

I am a type 1 diabetic using an insulin pump. Once a vial or insulin pen has been opened, it does NOT need to be refridgerated and is good for 30 days. A new vial of insulin lasts me almost 3 weeks, so I'm usually good to go.

You could pack an insulated lunch bag, or a go online and purchase a Frio Insulin Cooling Case. http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/

Karen

That's odd. I was told by the nurse at Kaiser not to keep my bottle of insulin in the fridge. I was told to keep the extra bottles in the fridge, but the bottle I'm using keep at room temperature; that cold insulin was painful to inject. Perhaps it's dependent on the brand or the type of insulin?

What ship are you on? Most ships except the Fantasy class ships have fridges in the cabins (even insides)......the Fantasy class ships will supply you with a cooler or fridge, just notify special needs well in advance......

Carnival's special needs desk was really helpful on my last 2 cruises. They provided the small fridge in my cabin. @ Trevin, it is very painful. I usually pull my main dose I take before bed out of the cooler about 20 min prior to injection and use body heat to warm it up. The fridges are not super cold, but do keep the meds chilled.

That's odd. I was told by the nurse at Kaiser not to keep my bottle of insulin in the fridge. I was told to keep the extra bottles in the fridge, but the bottle I'm using keep at room temperature; that cold insulin was painful to inject. Perhaps it's dependent on the brand or the type of insulin?

Sorry -- off subject but I can't help it. Treven, Where is the Big Tomato?

I am also a diabetic and was told that once a vial or pen cartridge is open, no need to refigerate. I have used the existing "fridges" on carnival and they keep the extra insulin I take cool enough...and or I ask steward to keep me stocked with ice and fill ziploc bag with ice and keep insulin cool in small insulated lunch bag. I am a nurse and trust me, I could not believe I was being told no need to refrigerate...perhaps your Dr is like may health professionals and does not realize and or chose to believe the new evidence and info with insulin. I have never ever had any problems with room temperature insulin once it has been opened !

Have a great holiday !

Thank you all for suggestions. After researching some more, I have been informed that the Carnival Glory does have fridge's. My DW had contacted their customer service and the guy she spoke to said that the Glory didnt have fridge's in the cabins but in asking here on CC, the Glory indeed does. Lesson learned there, dont trust the customer service people because obviously they dont know. But as always, you can get your answers here and you know they will be right :)

Thanks Again,

Jeff

This is in response to idubs' question. I forgot to check the box to include the original question.

Sacramento CA. The origin was from San Francisco newspaper columnist/author Herb Cain who gave Sacramento a "left-handed" compliment comparing Sacramento to New York - The Big Apple. Also it's an old reference to the fact that up through the early 80s, Sacramento had 4 tomato processing plants and processed all the tomatoes grown in the San Juaqine (sp) valley. This supplied 90% of the tomato products sold throughout the US.

This is in response to idubs' question. I forgot to check the box to include the original question.

Sacramento CA. The origin was from San Francisco newspaper columnist/author Herb Cain who gave Sacramento a "left-handed" compliment comparing Sacramento to New York - The Big Apple. Also it's an old reference to the fact that up through the early 80s, Sacramento had 4 tomato processing plants and processed all the tomatoes grown in the San Juaqine (sp) valley. This supplied 90% of the tomato products sold throughout the US.

Aw, Sacratamato -- I should have known.

Sorry to divert from the original -- this is an important thread and no disrespect intended.

Take care.

Thank you all for suggestions. After researching some more, I have been informed that the Carnival Glory does have fridge's. ...

Thanks Again,

Jeff

Good that you are covered with what you need.

I don't use insulin, but have had to travel with injectible meds that needed to be kept cool and out of the sun to avoid getting too warm/above typical room temp (easy to do if you are traveling in the summer/tropical climates and carrying some of your meds around with you).

Anyway, I bought some of the FRIO cool packs previous posters have mentioned, they were really convenient since they do not need to be frozen/refridgerated before use like typical cold packs...something very useful while en route to destinations.

The FRIO packs are designed for insulin (size/shape wise), but can be used with other meds. They work just by soaking them in tap water (the condensation keeps things cool). Neat concept that works. It doesn't keep things as cold as a fridge does, but certainly cool.

enjoy your trip!

Aw, Sacratamato -- I should have known.

Sorry to divert from the original -- this is an important thread and no disrespect intended.

Take care.

I hadn't noticed that you're from the East Bay when I did my answer. Had I noticed that originally, I certainly wouldn't have given such a long winded response.

Archived