What kind of camera would you take?

ML81

We're off on our first cruise in May which I've just made the final payment on. :D So now we are casting our thoughts to all the wonderful places and memories that we want to capture. We have a couple of options which we're mulling over, but I would like to know what the experienced cruisers out there think.

Option 1: I have a Canon D300 with a standard EFS 18-55mm and then a 70-300mm zoom lens. This is great kit and takes fabulous quality pictures but can be heavy to carry around and then swap over the lenses.

Option 2: The other option which we've been discussing is getting a digital video camera, something compact and light, that we then have the option to capture video should be wish but something that also takes decent enough shots.

So what kind of camera would you take on your cruise, if you had the choice?

We're off on our first cruise in May which I've just made the final payment on. :D So now we are casting our thoughts to all the wonderful places and memories that we want to capture. We have a couple of options which we're mulling over, but I would like to know what the experienced cruisers out there think.

Option 1: I have a Canon D300 with a standard EFS 18-55mm and then a 70-300mm zoom lens. This is great kit and takes fabulous quality pictures but can be heavy to carry around and then swap over the lenses.

Option 2: The other option which we've been discussing is getting a digital video camera, something compact and light, that we then have the option to capture video should be wish but something that also takes decent enough shots.

Talk about timing, I actually just finished researching cameras for my next cruise on the Allure of the Seas, and because of all the movement on the ship for blurring (not to mention I'm old and shaky...lol), low light in the evenings etc. etc. I came quite accidentally on a brand new 'sport' camera - in fact it was between 2 of them. i wouldn't have thought 'sport' camera in a million years.

Check out the Pentax Optio WG-1 - this is coming out at the end of this April and the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC TX5 which I believe came out in November 2010. They are dustproof (for sand), waterproof to 10 feet, freezeproof (to 14F -10c) and shockproof for a 5 foot fall. I opted for the Sony - the prices are the same - both also come with a GPS if you want that feature ($50 extra)

I've checked out all sorts of reviews and while the Pentax isn't out yet - one professional reviewer picked the Sony over the Pentax. Check out the features on both - I particularly like the panoramic feature on the Sony both above ground and under water. Both have a gazillion features so it's probably which camera maker you like best. I've had a larger Sony for years and it's never let me down. These cameras are compact but tough. Have fun with research - and keep a bottle of aspirin at hand cause the research will drive you nutz.. ;)

I should add that while both of the same price - retail is $350, but searching around I just found the Sony for $225 - check out Amazon for various pricing.

Not at your level, but I use my iPhone which is always in a holster on my hip.

Weight is not a problem. It is an SLR. I have apps to edit the resulting photos.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I was just given a iPhone 4 for my birthday by my DH. What apps are these that you are referring to, I may be interested in them anyway :cool:

I have several different camera options and have used them all. I took a Nikon D80 DSLR with a couple of lens options. I used it when I knew the weight wouldn't be a problem. I also had a decent compact point and shoot which my wife or I could easily carry when we didn't want the extra weight or bulk. Glad I had my Nikon though as I got some great shots that I was able to blow up into great art.

Not to get camera-snobby, but just to be clear ... the iPhone is NOT an SLR. SLR stands for "single lens reflex," which usually means there is a moving mirror system. If you want to say that you can use the screen to frame/take your photo, that is correct. I have found that the iPhone 4 takes very good pictures for a camera phone, but the screen can be hard to see in full sunlight and its flash is pretty much worthless. There are hundreds of camera apps that let you adjust your photos ... you can look in iTunes to find top selling/top rated ones.

OP, as per your question, it comes down to what you want. An SLR or DSLR will give you the best opportunity to make better shots over a point-and-shoot, but you have to carry the gear around. I've mostly switched to a walk-around lens (24-135mm) so that I have a little room to work with and only bring multiple lenses if I think I will want them. However, if you feel you would miss a bunch of pictures because you would not carry the SLR around, then go with a point-and-shoot. Or, of course, you can do both.

As for the video option ... here is an extremely personal opinion ... I hate shooting video. Not only do you typically end up with shaky-cam when hand-held, as well as audio typically marred by ocean breezes outside (on deck, for example), but if you want to make anything watchable, you are going to have to spend a lot of time editing your video. If you love doing this, then you will ... I have found my videos sit around until I finally decide I'm going to take the time to edit, and then by the time I've edited them, I never want to watch them again.

In the end (and to answer your question, OP), I take my DSLR. I typically have my iPhone in my pocket at all times and that can mop up for any spontaneous pictures (while onboard, etc). I've taken my Flip Video camera (not great, I know) in the past, but it doesn't really suit what I like doing.

I agree with the above poster - an iphone is not an SLR.

In the past, I've always taken my SLR. This past week I bought a point and shoot so for our next cruise I'll be taking both. The SLR will go with when I feel like carrying the weight. The P&S will be used for everything else.

I have an iphone and the picture quality is good. However, I prefer something that I press a button to zoom, take the picture, etc. vs. having to tap a screen.

I've taken my DSLR on 2 cruises and taken my P&S on the 3rd... I have about 3000 shots from the 2 DSLR vacations combined and about 100 from the P&S. That being said the 2 DSLR cruises were on the Oasis & Allure therefore a LOT more to shoot but it's almost if you're carrying the DSLR around your neck you feel obligated to shoot pics of things LOL :)

OP, maybe consider swapping the 70-300 lense to an 18-200 (if available for Canons). I recently got the 18-200 lense for my Nikon D3100 and it's not much bigger or heavier than the standard kit lense, and it eliminates the need to carry two lenses with you.

For underwater shots and video I use my old Pentax Optio W60.

Digital...............:)

My husband bought me the Panasonic HDC-TM60 and we have recently returned from a wonderful trip to Thailand, where I took some amazing videos and also took still photos (you can also capture stills from any of the video footage once you transfer the video onto your PC)

My husband has a Canon 450S, with four different lenses and I can honestly say that for holiday pictures the Panasonic was much lighter and easier to use, and it took really good 5 meg stills. The zoom is brilliant as is the macro setting.

The model I have just has a 16G built in hard drive, and also has an SD card slot.

Hope this was helpful

I carry a larger Nikon digital when I know that I will probably encounter something or some event that I will want to photograph on the ship. For just walking around the ship, I slip a small Nikon Coolpix or an Olympus point and shoot (Stylus 7030 or 7000, FE 370) into my pocket in case I run into something unexpected. I also have a Fuji film digital that I take on shore excursions. I also have an old Olympus FE 115 that is sort of obsolete but which produces great photos.

I have stopped using film cameras. (When I did use them, I used Pentax SLRs). For a consistently good result, the digitals are much better. Also, without the cost of film, they are much less expensive to operate.

I shoot with a Sony A700, NEX-5 and a DSC-HX5V compact. I also have a Droid X with a very capable 8MP camera, but it's still a phone with a tiny sensor and tiny lens.

Q. Which would I take?

A. Sometimes the best camera for all situations is two or three cameras!

DSLR for when I'm on a photo-centric excursion like whale watching in Alaska or a scenery tour on some island.

NEX for walkabout in the town or a general sightseeing tour where I don't want to take a conspicuous amount of equipment but still want to be able to capture high quality images if I see something interesting.

Compact....well, to be honest, I never leave the house without it on my belt and it's no different on a cruise. It fits in my coat pocket at dinner if I don't want to wear the belt pouch and takes very acceptable photos. It also shoots amazing in-camera panoramas that compliment the shots taken with the other two.

Enjoy your first cruise! Safe bet that it's not going to be your last!

Dave

I leave all the big guns at home anymore and just keep it simple with two p&s's. A Canon S90 (current mdl is S95) for controlled areas and a Canon D10 for the beach and excursions. They take fabulous pic's and use the same battery too. I don't shoot video so I can't comment on that but they both have that capability as well.

I got tired of lugging my Canon S-5 camera around and recently bought a nice litte point and shoot for traveling. It's a Pentax W90, waterproof, and shockproof too. It's a great little camera and I really loved taking it snorkeling with us on our last cruise. Has HD video, and a 5x zoom. It is very light and fits in my pocket. :)

The most important question is what is your goal for your photographs.

People that advocate a smartphone , P&S, or pocket camcorder often just want to capture a snapshot for sharing of facebook or webshots, youtube etc. THese devices are getting pretty good and with a 16gb microSD you can put your whole vacation there. You can almost put your whole life on it with a few more shrinks from Moore's law.

If your goal is to capture some amazing scenery, prospective of cathedrals, buidlings with good contrast in horrible lighting than a DSLR is a must. You get better low light, different flexibility in lens.

My experience / recommendation is you bring both, a point and shoot ( don't waste your time with a waterproof, this ain't the caribbean ) and a DSLR. For the DSLR get something wider a 10-24 or 12-24 and your 18-55 or a larger range zoom. Don't take the 70-300 there will be little you'll use that focal length IMHO.

I highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Red) found for about $229 on Amazon.

It takes great pictures, has 12X Zoom, is pocketable(especially in cargo pants/shorts) and takes great 720p HD video(with zooming capability). It also has Intelligent Auto, Manual, and dozens of scene selections for all kinds of lighting conditions. Hand held, it takes good nighttime pictures, but really excels when you brace it on something sturdy, then the night shots are amazing. And you can view your pictures on a bright, 3-inch LCD screen with twice the resolution of comparable cameras.

Add to this, it has GPS tagging, which allows you to locate your pictures on Google maps as an added bonus.

I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but I really love this camera, and yes, I do also own a Canon DSLR which I take with me too, but for a compact, walking around alternative, this camera is awesome.

Hope this helps, and doesn't just add to your confusion, and have fun with whatever you choose!

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful feedback.:D

I think we've probably ditched the idea of a video cam as to be honest, we'd never get round to editing the footage, so we're being realistic in our expectations on that front. :rolleyes:

I've been really thinking about this, and I do love having my DSLR on hand, especially for architecture and low light situations. But what I'm considering is to perhaps part-exchange my zoom lens for a 18-200mm so that I get an "all in one" lens, and then only need to take the one with me. Just need to do a bit more research into that first.

But I think we may also replace our old P&S which is now on it's last legs, so we'll start looking at those too.

Oh, shopping for cameras and kit, such hardship LOL:D

Get a fast lens; even a decent prime will work. Since a lot of stuff on the ship doesn't allow flash photography, you need a bright aperture, and you need a DSLR. You will get decent photos with a point and shoot, but not good pictures.

I take both a DSLR and a P&S - always. Now, that doesn't mean I take them all on everything. Some excursions I either won't have the room, or would worry about damaging the DSLR, so the P&S goes with while the rest are in the safe on the ship.. I use the P&S for dining room food, but the DSLR for the grand/gala buffet or chocoholics buffet. I love having the option - and sometimes it's a mood thing. But if you don't take what you've got, you don't have options.

I highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Red) found for about $229 on Amazon.

That is a great little camera. My wife carries a similar older model and her Sony A700 with 200m zoom. I have a Panasoniic Lumix DSC-FZ40 which has a 24x zoom and takes 720p HD videos. It is not pocketable like the ZS7, but I like the longer zoom. It retails for under $300. It can switch quickly between movie and photo mode.

As a former professional photographer who takes 2-3 cruises a year, I think the following 2 outfits are "best of breeds" in their weight categories:

..At 9 ounces for the complete package, a Canon S95 tucked into a pocket-sized Case Logic case along with a spare SDHC card and battery, makes a terrific semi-pro outfit. It produces gorgeous 8x10" prints routines for photo books; as well as razor-sharp video projections of any practical size. It excels at low-light photography and even produces high-quality videos with stereo sound. About the only accessory you need is a Canon battery charger which adds about an ounce to the outfit. The cost with the extra battery, two 8 GB SDHC cards and the case is about $500 and it is truly money well spent! To outperform it, you need...

..A Panasonic Lumix GH2 with the 14-140 mm lens and the high-speed 20 mm lens which, together, allow you take long-distance telephotos and wide-angle shots with the first lens, and inside shots in very dim light with the other. It also provide professional-quality HD videos and superbly details 16x20" prints. With a few accessories and a gadget bag, this outfit weighs in at about 6 pounds and costs (gulp...) about $2,000. However this too is money well spent since it is the lightest and smallest professional-quality camera available; and you'd have to move up to the $5,000+ Nkons and Canons that weigh 3 times as much for improvements in quality.

Along with carrying these 2 outfits, I travel these days with a monopod with a quick-release head for extensive video uses (2 pounds and $100) , and a Canon Pixma iP100 portable color printer (4 pound and $200). Both are an absolute kick to use.

Thus the total weight for the two camera outfits, the modopod and the printer is only 13 pounds and half the space of my roll-on bag. Add another 8 pounds for a high-quality PC in a rolling computer case and the whole outfit weighs in at 21 pounds and meets the carry-on requirements for only boarding with a roll-on and a computer case.

We usually take:

1) Canon t1i with 18-55mm is kit lens, 50mm prime and 18-200mm os

2) Canon G11

3) Canon D10 (for beach/underwater)

4) Canon SD940is (super slim for in pocket)

If I could only take one, I would take the G11 (newest model is the G12). Picture quality rivals that of the t1i for up to 8 x 10 pics, it shoots in RAW, there is an actual dial for almost every manual adjustment (no need to work through menus) and you can take it almost anywhere.

Essentially your travel choices and mine are very similar:

1. My Canon S95 is virtually identical to the G12, with the same sensor, RAW capabilities, dials vs. menus, and nearly the same software and features. The trade-offs are that the G12 has a small optical finder (which I miss on the S95), takes extension lenses (not true interchangeable lenses) and filters, and has a swivel LCD finder (a really neat feature); whereas the S95 is a true pocket camera that is half the size and weight of the G11/G12 and has a faster (f2.0) lens for low-light shooting. To my mind the small size and weight, and the faster lens, trumps the extra viewing features of the G11/G12 and makes packing an additional pocket-camera unnecessary

2. The two-lens Canon t1i combo may actually be slightly better optically than the Lumix GH2 with the full-range zoom (28-280mm equivilent) and low-light 20mm lens combo due to the Canon's larger sensor and the legendary build quality; but the trade-offs are the Lumix's lighter weight and smaller size, and the professional-quality video. But again, we're thinking exactly the same way about what's needed in a full-sized camera camera outfit.

3. The other trade-off the Canon D10's unique capabilities vs. my Canon Pixma iP100 portable printer and Slik carbon-fiber monopod . The cost of either alternative is about the same, but the D10 permits shooting in driving rain and at the beach in addition to shooting underwater; and the monopod facilitates video and night shooting while the printer is a satisfying diversion to use on seadays and when we return from tours. We love 2-3 week transoceanic trips on the smaller ships (Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, Azamara, etc.) where there are ample opportunities to print the best shots and share them with friends.

Essentially your travel choices and mine are very similar:

1. My Canon S95 is virtually identical to the G12, with the same sensor, RAW capabilities, dials vs. menus, and nearly the same software and features. The trade-offs are that the G12 has a small optical finder (which I miss on the S95), takes extension lenses (not true interchangeable lenses) and filters, and has a swivel LCD finder (a really neat feature); whereas the S95 is a true pocket camera that is half the size and weight of the G11/G12 and has a faster (f2.0) lens for low-light shooting. To my mind the small size and weight, and the faster lens, trumps the extra viewing features of the G11/G12 and makes packing an additional pocket-camera unnecessary

2. The two-lens Canon t1i combo may actually be slightly better optically than the Lumix GH2 with the full-range zoom (28-280mm equivilent) and low-light 20mm lens combo due to the Canon's larger sensor and the legendary build quality; but the trade-offs are the Lumix's lighter weight and smaller size, and the professional-quality video. But again, we're thinking exactly the same way about what's needed in a full-sized camera camera outfit.

3. The other trade-off the Canon D10's unique capabilities vs. my Canon Pixma iP100 portable printer and Slik carbon-fiber monopod . The cost of either alternative is about the same, but the D10 permits shooting in driving rain and at the beach in addition to shooting underwater; and the monopod facilitates video and night shooting while the printer is a satisfying diversion to use on seadays and when we return from tours. We love 2-3 week transoceanic trips on the smaller ships (Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, Azamara, etc.) where there are ample opportunities to print the best shots and share them with friends.

Everything you wrote makes sense and I would agree. I debated a long time between the G11 and I believe it was the S90 (S95 predessor). I'm headed on a cruise next week and i'm going to take a monopod for the first time.

Archived