Who can use BOA certificates??

I have had a BOA credit card for almost 5 yrs now. I have used it as my main credit card and have turned my points in for more than $1000 in OBC over the years.

Now my son is 18 and I would like to get him a credit card in his name to use while at college. He will use this card for college supplies, tuition, books, etc. But I will be paying the bills.

So my question is: If I open a new card in his name and accumulate points under his name, will I be able to use the certificates when it comes time to redeem them??

Has anyone else used points from someone else's card??

I have had a BOA credit card for almost 5 yrs now. I have used it as my main credit card and have turned my points in for more than $1000 in OBC over the years.

Now my son is 18 and I would like to get him a credit card in his name to use while at college. He will use this card for college supplies, tuition, books, etc. But I will be paying the bills.

So my question is: If I open a new card in his name and accumulate points under his name, will I be able to use the certificates when it comes time to redeem them??

I would assume if the card is in his name then the points accumulated are his. It doesn't matter who pays the bill.

Yes, we recently used points from our card to give OBC to family sailing with us. There is an area on the coupon to fill out that specifically mentions if the credit card holder is not the same as someone on the cruise booking.

Yes, we recently used points from our card to give OBC to family sailing with us. There is an area on the coupon to fill out that specifically mentions if the credit card holder is not the same as someone on the cruise booking.

That's what I was just going to post!!!!:p

Thanks, thats what I thought. Was going to get him a gas card, but thought I might as well rack up some more cruise credits if I'm paying the bill.

Now to see if they are still offering the double points to sign up

Thanks, thats what I thought. Was going to get him a gas card, but thought I might as well rack up some more cruise credits if I'm paying the bill.

When we were on board last week, they were offering triple points and 10,000 bonus points. Not sure if that was just if you signed up while you were on board, or whether it was for everyone.

For a time, they were offering 15,000 points to sign up, but I thought I read here that the 15K promo is over, and it's back down to 10K points to sign up.

If you're going to be paying the bill anyway, why don't you just get him a card in his name that is on your account? That way the points will be yours to start with. This method won't do anything for his credit rating though if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

If you're going to be paying the bill anyway, why don't you just get him a card in his name that is on your account? That way the points will be yours to start with. This method won't do anything for his credit rating though if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

This is exactly what I was going to say. If the card is for convenience while he is at school and you are paying, get him an authorized user card. You will continue to earn points, as long as it is your account.

He might not even qualify for the card easier to have him be a user on yours, as others have said.

Young adults have to have excellent credit and some history to get rewards cards and if he did qualify his limit would most likely be too small for tuition payments. I know this from my 3 young adult college children even when they received solicitations that say they are preapproved, they have been rejected.

Lucky that you can pay tuition with a credit card, so many schools now only take electronic check.

You won't get the 10,000 sign up points if you're doing it this way

Archived