Drinking Age

luvdale

I am twenty two, since I was sixteen my mother allowed me to drink on cruises and wine at Christmas. It taught me moderation so when I left for college all of the other students who weren't allowed to even be around alcohol became binge drinkers, where as I would drink on occasion for the taste not the feeling! You have know idea who I am or how my family dynamic is, so you passing judgment on how I was raised is very rude and uncalled for! My mother allowing me to drink did not teach me to cheat, or as a matter of a fact to lie, steal, or kill. Your stereotyping teenagers shows how ignorant you are!

Actually-- I have research behind my facts-- how about you. i am not ignorant and it shows me how immature you are if you can't debate a subject without calling people names.

Quote from research regarding 12-17 year old--"the brain does not stop growing until mid 20's and one of the first regions of the brain affected by alcohol and affected most dramatically is the area responsible for judgement and decision making." To continue--"What concerns this researcher the most is the attititude of the parents toward drinking. There is a powerful countercultural strain, and one of the ways you see it is the tolerance of "soft-drugs" like alcohol. Once you decrease the idea that a drug is dangerous, use of that drug goes up." \

Kids with alcohol use are quite simply impaired as shown by brain scans.

Just saying

Not trying to sound preachy here but why would you teach your daughter

1. break the law

2. break the law for her

And I can bet you they will NOT be with you all the time. Just saying

It's not law, it's a Carnival RULE. There is a huge difference.

doubtful but whatever. 21 to drink 18 to own a gun yeah we know who have the better lobbyist.

You soun like a real level head adult (assume you are over 18). I hope if you are under 21, don't think it will be ok to bring your gun on the cruise since you are under age "BY CARNIVAL RULES" to drink. I guess you can have some real fun with that.

Not to start anything.... I don't condone (sp?) avoiding or breaking the rules in any sense. At any time. However, you keep talking about the older adults who break the rules. I would like to make 2 points on this.

1. The 19 yr old is an adult. So, that being said. She is not doing anything special by being honest or by being respectful. She is acting her age, as she is now an adult.

2. What other people do they do. There are kids, adults, oldies, youngens, people in general who do the wrong thing. There will always be people who do the wrong thing. Just don't do it and you don't have to worry about what other people do. Or at least that's what my mom taught me.

If you want to break the rules, go ahead, people do it all of the time. Just be prepared to deal with the consequences. Carnival will NOT serve a minor, because they will be fined if it's found out by US authorities.

That being said, please don't shout. It's rude and not adult like. Perhaps other people do it, but you shouldn't follow what other people do. It's not nice. Please don't take offense to what people say. Remember this is an open forum, people get mean, some are nice and others are just plain rude. Don't be one of them and don't take offense when they attack, just let it roll off and enjoy your cruise. Remember if the 19 yr old can't drink at home in a restaurant why would they be allowed to on a cruise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by H82seaUgo View Post

no. she said it tasted like it had alcohol in it.

Same thing happened to my daughter but this was last year she was 11. She drank half of it. Kind of funny before she said anything to me. I was ok with it, took the rest away and told her she had enough. My mom gave my 9 yr old a bit of Whiskey because he had a toothache... Yeah like that worked. Anyway, he was fine. I don't feel that being uptight about alcohol will help any. Kids will drink when they get older, it's how they handle it and what they are taught about it.

Drinking at home is one thing (not that I let my little one's drink by the way) But when they get old enough sure, at home. But there is a law that needs to be followed and Carnival's law is not to provide alcohol to minors. Wait until they are off the ship and let them do it there. But don't break the rules onboard or in a restaurant or anywhere you can get arrested or left.

P.S.

By the way my above post was about following rules when you go on the ship and not following what other people say. Just saying so I don't get flamed for 2 different responses.

Happy sailing....

NOT TRUE.

Carnival will not be fined if found out an 18 - 20 year old is served alcohol. This is a CARNIVAL RULE.

Some of you either jumped over earlier posts, or didn't read my much earlier one. As I stated from John Healds blog, the 21 Year old drinking age is due to SOME (NOT ALL) under 21's that cause expensive, sometimes extensive, damage onboard. It was taking many $$ and many work hours to clean-up, repair, replace damage caused by those who do STUPID things after drinking. It does not matter what the drinking age is in your home town, state, or country, or if marijuana is legal, or even prostitution. I know those were just used as examples.

The bottom line is that it is a line item on your Carnival Contract that states drinking age being 21.

It is up to your own morals if you chose not to follow the Carnival rules.

As also stated by other posters there are those that smuggle booze, speed in our automobiles, and disregard other rules daily.

Any type of an establishment can make their own rules as long as they are the same as their governing authorities, or even stricter. Watch a 16 year with a valid drivers license try to rent a car somewhere. The 16 year old is old enough to obtain a LEGAL drivers license in their home state, but due to costs, most rental agencies will not let them.

Not really, at sea the Captain is the law ... and there is no appeal.

Does not matter! DON IS RIGHT!!

At sea the Captain (or master of a vessel) has the ultimate authority. As I stated above, the owner or operator (ie: Captain) of and establishment (ie: ship), must adhere to the laws and rules set down by authorities of him or her. Howerver, the operator of an establishment, or Captain of a cruise ship, MAY set the bar (rule/law) higher if deemed necessary. The Captain has the authority to restrict persons, guests or crew, to their quarters, or have people cut of from drinking. De[ending on the situation, the Captain has the ultimate authority aboard ship.

Geez, they asked a quetion, about their "Adult" offspring.

You're an Adult in the USA at 18, except to drink, gamble, um what else, oh yeah, book a cruise.

Geez, OP asked a question about the allowable drinking age on board the ship, not whether it was fair or not. Makes no difference if their children are 18, 19 or 20. Carnival has decided 21 is the drinking age. Personally, it sucks for my trip. Only 1 of us is under 21. We've named her the designated walker. We all plan to drink in ports, but she will not be drinking on board.

Archived