Drinking Age

luvdale

I am 24 and get carded every time i order a drink on board (all but the times at dinner where the lady knew I was old enough after the 1st night) If i did not have my ID on me they would not bring me a drink. Simple as that and if you want to take the chance of buying a minor a drink then do so but that would be ur own fault if you get in trouble. It also teaches the kids that it's okay to break the laws/rules and due bad things.

Just like it teaches kids it is OK to lie and smuggle rum runners on board which is clearly against the rules too.

I am not advocating under age drinking or breaking any rules, but I if the OP wants to take the chance, then that is her choice. Just do not lecture her when there are some many advocating breaking the rules in order to get their cheap booze on board.

Just like it teaches kids it is OK to lie and smuggle rum runners on board which is clearly against the rules too.

I am not advocating under age drinking or breaking any rules, but I if the OP wants to take the chance, then that is her choice. Just do not lecture her when there are some many advocating breaking the rules in order to get their cheap booze on board.

I also wonder how many of them would falsify the health information form to avoid being denied boarding.

As has been said many times, people analyze a rule/law in their own way and make their own determination on whether to follow it. People draw the line at different places and they like to criticize those who don't draw it the same.

What if the family is sitting in the MDR or at a table somewhere else, can I cover everybody's bill with my S&S card? I want to treat my family one night and cover all expenses for drinks/anything else they want, will this be a problem if my DS (20) orders a glass of wine but the bill is on my card?

What if the family is sitting in the MDR or at a table somewhere else, can I cover everybody's bill with my S&S card? I want to treat my family one night and cover all expenses for drinks/anything else they want, will this be a problem if my DS (20) orders a glass of wine but the bill is on my card?

If he's 20 they won't let him order a glass of wine so it doesn't matter that it's on your bill..

As long as they don't card him....worth a try.

I also wonder how many of them would falsify the health information form to avoid being denied boarding.

As has been said many times, people analyze a rule/law in their own way and make their own determination on whether to follow it. People draw the line at different places and they like to criticize those who don't draw it the same.

Tons.......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1384074

I am 24 and get carded every time i order a drink on board (all but the times at dinner where the lady knew I was old enough after the 1st night) If i did not have my ID on me they would not bring me a drink. Simple as that and if you want to take the chance of buying a minor a drink then do so but that would be ur own fault if you get in trouble. It also teaches the kids that it's okay to break the laws/rules and due bad things.

That is odd........your birthdate is embedded on your sail and sign card...underage card holders can't purchase alcohol......

we were just on the Ecstasy and I saw them sell my granddaughter alchol beverages without asking for a ID and she used her S and S card she is 20. They even sold her 3 bottles of alchol in the gift shop, she got them for some friends back home.

I think people are getting ridiculous saying that parents are being irresponsible. You have to remember people are cruising from many parts of the world where the drinking age is different. Just because you don't like to drink does not mean you can comment on how someone else was raised or how alcohol affects them. To the OP - if you feel you want to buy your daughter alcohol and she is responsible with it and you are prepared for the consequences then that is your own discretion and no one should comment on your parenting skills or attack each other because some people like to drink and some don't...completely not answering your question at all.

Have a great cruise :)

My wife and I were on lounge chairs at the pool having Pina Coladas. DD(18) at the time meets up with us. after a bit DW gets up and goes back to the cabin. DD sits in her chair and we talk for a bit. The server walks by , sees our glasses empty looks at them and asks me "Two more Pina Coladas ?" To which my daughter says "Yes please " :) the server already had my card number from the last order so off he goes and comes back with two Pina Coladas.

She was quite pleased with herself for pulling that off. :)

I told her it scares me the way you did that so easily *LOL*, but you have that one and thats it. She said "Oh God no , you know how many calories are in these things?" She is at the age where God forbid she balloons to a gargantuan size 2 :)

I certainly didn't keep my kids liqoured up all their lives, but i never made alcohol the big taboo either. I taught them responcibilty if they are going to drink. And now two of them are well into adulthood and two are over 18 and it has never been a big deal.

That is odd........your birthdate is embedded on your sail and sign card...underage card holders can't purchase alcohol......

The carnival website says that they may require proof of photo id for onboard alcohol purchases if it is suspected that the purchaser is under the age of 21.

I found that out when my brother was inquiring about the same thing OP is wondering about (he will be 20 years and 9 months). However, he doesn't seem to care since one of our ports is Cozumel and the legal age there is 18.:rolleyes:

#1 21 #2 wait 3 years.

Actually if they are calling in any Caribbean ports the legal drinking age in most of them is 18. So while they do have to be 21 for the ship - they probably don't have to wait any years for some of the ports. All they have to do is Google the legal drinking age in the particular ports they will be at. :)

Preach, preach, preach. The real answer is that 999 out of a thousand people who buy for their underage kids have no problem. If that is what you want to do for your kid, go for it. Not like every 18 year old in the world hasn't already drank a beer.

Immaterial. Those 999 people that get away with breaking the law, contract rules, regulations or whatever term you are happy with only showed their children that rules are meant to be broken, not abided by. That rules are meant for others, not for themselves. Of course, it looks like several of those children are here on CC. :rolleyes:

To OP, if you want to buy alcohol for your kids, none of us can stop you from breaking the rules so do as you please. If you get caught, be an adult and accept the punishment and don't make a fuss, you knew that it is wrong before you did it. Enjoy your cruise.

The carnival website says that they may require proof of photo id for onboard alcohol purchases if it is suspected that the purchaser is under the age of 21.

That is all legal jargon to cover their butts, My ddil is over 21 and looks 16 and has never been carded on a ship. (she gets carded everywhere else) Last cruise she ordered me and her a drink and gave the bartender her card. I asked the bartender why he didn't ask her for id and he said all her info is on the card. If she was under 21 her card would have been denied.

Waiters don't take your S&S card to scan it.

Correct they use your folio number........same info when entered in the computer.

Just a thought.....you know in Amsterdam, marijuana and prostitution are legal. Maybe you could take them there so they have even more fun. I mean, as long as they're with you.....

Wow really this is your response.

Personally I think the drinking age is stupid, it should be 18 but that's me.

Immaterial. Those 999 people that get away with breaking the law, contract rules, regulations or whatever term you are happy with only showed their children that rules are meant to be broken, not abided by. That rules are meant for others, not for themselves. Of course, it looks like several of those children are here on CC. :rolleyes:

To OP, if you want to buy alcohol for your kids, none of us can stop you from breaking the rules so do as you please. If you get caught, be an adult and accept the punishment and don't make a fuss, you knew that it is wrong before you did it. Enjoy your cruise.

I don't disagree with anything you say. I was just pointing out that the chance that you will be faced with any concequences is very slim. Just like a 20yo drinking beer at a college party. Can you get in trouble? Sure. Will you? Chances are pretty good you will not. After all, getting away with it is half the fun right? Isn't that why people put so much thought into how to smuggle $9 worth of rum on board?:)

And yes, I am one of those ex-underage children here on CC. I'm guessing you might have been too, if you can been cruising when you were under 21.....

I don't disagree with anything you say. I was just pointing out that the chance that you will be faced with any concequences is very slim. Just like a 20yo drinking beer at a college party. Can you get in trouble? Sure. Will you? Chances are pretty good you will not. After all, getting away with it is half the fun right? Isn't that why people put so much thought into how to smuggle $9 worth of rum on board?:)

And yes, I am one of those ex-underage children here on CC. I'm guessing you might have been too, if you can been cruising when you were under 21.....

I guess that's why some people stay in the military only 4 years and others like me stay 20+. The 20+ crowd learned to follow orders whether they liked them or not, whether they agreed with them or not, and whether anyone was looking or not. The ones that only stayed 3 or 4 usually were the ones that thought it was fun to try and ignore the rules to see if they could get away with it.

This is not directed towards you, just a general statement to anyone who wishes to read it. Integrity - doing the right thing even when you can get away with doing the wrong thing. You either have it or don't have it. No amount of rationalization can change that.

Archived