Ketchikan....what to do there?

SheriNtexas

Has anyone ever done the Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer excursion from Princess? My friend wants to do that, and I'm still deciding....

I don't want to do the lumberjack show, i'm not really interested in totem poles, and i don't want to have to get in an airplane :o...what else is there to do there? We are doing whale watching and mendenhall glacier and yukon train ride...we just need to nail down Ketchikan...i will go on the Misty Fjords thing if i can't find anything else to do....what does everyone think? thanks!

Ketchikan is a lovely port and has a great walking tour. Too bad you're not interested in the totems. I've only been to Totem Bight; I thought they were fascinating and beautiful. i'd love to visit Saxman as well.

Why don't you borrow an Alaska tour book from your library,like Fodors or Frommers and become familiar with the sights and activities in each port? There are even books specific to Alaska tours.

You can also google 'ketchikan tourism' or 'ketchikan visitor information' to find out more about the town and what activities are available.

You can also google 'ketchikan tourism' or 'ketchikan visitor information' to find out more about the town and what activities are available.

experienceketchikan.com and visit-ketchikan.com are both good sites

There have been good reports on this boat access of Misty Fiords. Do not expect a lot of wildlife and it does duplicate the cruise route part of the way.

Frankly I suggest you and your "friend" split up if you have no interest in this boat tour. It is costly. Neither of you are going to get "lost" nor not find your way back on board your ship. :)

My husband and I love the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. And we're not even Deadliest Catch fans. :-) You cruise around the Islands surrounding Ketchikan, the crew entertains you with incredible sea stories, they pull crab traps and you get to see, hold, and take photos with many different types of crabs, and the Eagle show is simply incredible! It's such a great boat tour!

As mapleleaves said, you can download the Walking Tour Map (get a printed version free at the Visitor's Bureau) and cruise through town. There are gorgeous - HUGE - flowers all around town especially near the tunnel, at Whale Park, City Park, & all along town. Walk along Creek Street, Married Man's Trail, check out the Salmon Ladder, check out the cool staircase streets and houses up on the hills, people watch along the main street, etc. Of course, the Duck tour will show you all of this plus entertain you and give you a harbor tour.

Hiking/walking/driving through the the rainforest, Kayaking, Snorkeling, Fishing, Zodiak boat tours, Ziplining, Crab feasts....yum!

There are lots of things to do & see in Ketchikan other than the Misty Fiords (which are amazing) the Lumberjack show or seeing Totem Poles! :-)

Enjoy!

My husband and I love the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. And we're not even Deadliest Catch fans. :-) You cruise around the Islands surrounding Ketchikan, the crew entertains you with incredible sea stories, they pull crab traps and you get to see, hold, and take photos with many different types of crabs, and the Eagle show is simply incredible! It's such a great boat tour!

As mapleleaves said, you can download the Walking Tour Map (get a printed version free at the Visitor's Bureau) and cruise through town. There are gorgeous - HUGE - flowers all around town especially near the tunnel, at Whale Park, City Park, & all along town. Walk along Creek Street, Married Man's Trail, check out the Salmon Ladder, check out the cool staircase streets and houses up on the hills, people watch along the main street, etc. Of course, the Duck tour will show you all of this plus entertain you and give you a harbor tour.

Hiking/walking/driving through the the rainforest, Kayaking, Snorkeling, Fishing, Zodiak boat tours, Ziplining, Crab feasts....yum!

There are lots of things to do & see in Ketchikan other than the Misty Fiords (which are amazing) the Lumberjack show or seeing Totem Poles! :-)

Enjoy!

thanks so much for all the info! Ketchikan sounds like a beautiful place and I can't wait to visit!!

Just be aware that Ketchikan has over 100 inches of rain in an average year! I've been there 4 times - once it was cloudless and 80 degrees, once it was overcast, once it was spitting rain to moderate showers and once it was raining almost as heavy as what we get in Houston with the big storms. :D Be sure to check out the "Liquid Sunshine" rain gauge at the Visitor's Center on the dock.

Thank you for posting this. I just said to my DH last night that we need to post this same question. But with the addittion of we are traveling with three small children. Does anyone know what types of things are kid friendly? We are looking at going to see the Totems, we have heard about two different parks to visit, any thoughts on which one is better or should we do both? We are also traveling with family who would like to go fishing (without kids) in Ketchikan. Does anyone know any good tour operators that offer freshwater fishing options? Thanks!!

Thank you for posting this. I just said to my DH last night that we need to post this same question. But with the addittion of we are traveling with three small children. Does anyone know what types of things are kid friendly? We are looking at going to see the Totems, we have heard about two different parks to visit, any thoughts on which one is better or should we do both? We are also traveling with family who would like to go fishing (without kids) in Ketchikan. Does anyone know any good tour operators that offer freshwater fishing options? Thanks!!
'

Children would probably like the lumberjack show, and ride up the funicular and the duck tour. If going during salmon season, they would likely enjoy the salmon ladder.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/ketchikan-lumberjack-show.html

http://www.akduck.com/

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM259A_Ketchikan_Alaska_Funicular_Rail_Car

http://cruises.about.com/od/alaskacruises/ig/Ketchikan-Alaska/Fish-Ladder-up-Ketchikan-Creek.htm

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/alaska/inside-passage/review-430885.html

A second vote here for the Bering Sea Crab Boat tour, it is an amazing experience especially the feeding of the eagles, but the boat trip itself is very enjoyable and the crew onboard are excellent :)

I will also vote for Deadliest Catch excursion. It was far better than I had imagined. I must have come away with a hundred eagle pics also.

I'm glad we experienced it.

I will also vote for Deadliest Catch excursion. It was far better than I had imagined. I must have come away with a hundred eagle pics also.

I am so glad you mentioned this. I am wanting to do this and was surprised nobody had mentioned it...I was starting to second guess my choice.

When did you go and what other animals did you see? What kinds of different things did they catch? Thanks!

I am so glad you mentioned this. I am wanting to do this and was surprised nobody had mentioned it...I was starting to second guess my choice.

When did you go and what other animals did you see? What kinds of different things did they catch? Thanks!

We went in July 2008 and saw many different species of fish and crab. They demonstrated raising and lowering crab pots with catches in them. They had different species of fish also. I must leave for work but you might check out these pictures. There's several from the Deadliest Catch excursion.

At any rate, I don't think you'll be disapointed.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/564193387TkMlFA

Just general information- but , if anyone is going to Homer next summer, the Time Bandit is home based there.

We happened to be there when it was in port, sitting all by it's lonesome. :)

Just general information- but , if anyone is going to Homer next summer, the Time Bandit is home based there.

What exactly does this mean? It is an excursion?

What kinds of different things did they catch? Thanks!

From previous reports, they keep their previous catches to make sure they have something to show you. Not sure how often they have "fresh" catches. This bothers some people, but not others.

Oh, HOW COOL!! I can't wait for the new season to start!!

We took our kids on the Duck tour last summer. My 4 year old loved it! He thought is was so cool that the vehicle goes from the street right into the water.:cool:

Thanks. Not a fan of the show...at least not yet. ;)

I just KNEW i would never like a show about crab fishing....then, on my cruise back in february, my friend and i got back to our cabin early, and there was NOTHING on the few channels they have on the tv's, so we ended up watching an episode of Deadliest Catch....i was hooked, and it took me about 2 weeks to watch all 6 seasons of it on streaming Netflix after i got back from the cruise...:o:D:rolleyes:

Archived