Where to stay in Rome?

OctoberSky

Hi. DH and I will be staying 2 nights in Rome before heading off to a cruise leaving from Civitavecchia. We'll be flying in to FCO. My question is where should we stay? Near the airport? In the center of Rome? I think I'd like to stay somewhere in Rome that has sites within walking distance... but I want to make sure getting from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the port won't be too confusing, expensive, or difficult.

I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations! Thanks!

Don't stay near the airport! We recently stayed in an apartment near the Campo De Fiori. I would recommend that area, around Piazza Navona. It's a great central location, and we easily walked to all the attractions.

We used Romecabs for transportation to and from the airport, they can also take you to the port. They met us at the airport, were there when they were supposed to be, and were reasonably priced. I'd highly recommend them.

Precruise we stayed at the Hotel Abruzzi which is right across from the Pantheon. It was a great location for exploring on foot. However, it is a more expensive area, but we felt totally worth it since we only had one night. While there is a taxi stand very close by, it isn’t near a metro stop.

Postcruise we stayed one night at the Hotel Amalia near the Vatican, which was perfect since the museums and St. Peter’s were the main thing we wanted to see that day. There was a metro station very close. The area was also more reasonable cost wise. It actually ended up cheaper to stay here than at the airport, even with transports.

We used private transports so both locations were easy in that regard.

We stayed for 3 nights post-cruise at Relais Fontana de Trevi - which was a half block away from Trevi Fountain and in walking distance of Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Plaza Navonna. We were very happy with it. I believe I looked at reviews on veneredotcom and tripadvisordotcom.

Have fun - Rome is a wonderful city!

We use Romecabs (steffano) and were treated very well.

We stayed at the Quality Hotel Nova Domus, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the entrance to the Vatican Museums. The all-in price for 3 nights was $286 (total) per room (we had two rooms because our kids had their own room) via expedia. After some incredibly disappointing accommodation in Athens, this was by far the best hotel room we had on a month long tour of Europe. The rooms were large with clean and modern fixtures. The lobby area was modern and even the hallways were large and very clean. It reminded me very much of business hotels I stay in here in North America.

If you're thinking of being near the Vatican, and you're not looking to pay $200+ per night, I highly recommend the Nova Domus.

We stayed at Albergo Cesari in Rome. Included breakfast and was within walking distance to all major sites. Hotel arranged transfers to airport and from ship for less money than I could.

I stayed there a few nights last fall (land vacation, not pre/post-cruise) and I would highly recommend it. Perfect location, nice breakfast on rooftop terrace, and a computer with free wifi access in the lobby.

We stayed 2 nights at Hotel Paba ,a small but nice hotel near the Colosseum. It was very reasonable (130 euros for three in July) and is run by the nicest lady (her name escapes me).

Kirk

Several posts have made great suggestions. I won't suggest a specific hotel, but I would pick a hotel based on what you plan to see while in Rome. If you are going primarily to the Vatican, try to find something close to the Vatican. We stayed at a convent pensione near the Vatican once.

Otherwise, try to stay near the Spanish Steps, Pantheon or Piazza Navona.

It is walking distance from colissium. Not too expensive. Great back street with great staff and fun neighborhood. Elevator and in suite bath. recommended by tripadvisor and rick steve.

You will enjoy Rome so much more being in the middle of it and not at the airport.

It is walking distance from colissium. Not too expensive. Great back street with great staff and fun neighborhood. Elevator and in suite bath. recommended by tripadvisor and rick steve.

You will enjoy Rome so much more being in the middle of it and not at the airport.

What is the name of this hotel?

Archived