Spring break 2012 travel question

crock25

I am sorry if this is in the wrong section but not only am I a newbie to cruising, I am also new to these boards....

My family and I have booked for Oasis sailing March 10,2012. We are from Toronto Ontario and that date will be the Saturday starting March break. I have read different posts about my different concerns (ie when to fly in, where to fly out from but none specific to that time frame) We have flown many times to Florida via Buffalo airport and have never had an issue, I'm wondering how chaotic the border crossings will be on top of at the airport. I had kinda decided to go out the Thursday night stay in Buffalo and fly into Fort Lauderdale on the Friday. Today however I read that the Fort Lauderdale airport will be chaotic, something I hadn't thought of (returning) so now I am thinking we would probably stay over in Buffalo on our return and leave for home early Sunday morning, but that almost ends up being as expensive as flying from Toronto.

What about flying in the day of? I know most don't like it, but if we decide with it that way, what time would be the latest you would fly in on embarkation day?

Thanks

High season in S. FL is always chaotic, until the snow birds fly home around Easter.

I wouldnt expect the airport to be worse on any give day, its always busy that time of year. Hotels go way up in price and the beaches are busy etc.

PS I would never fly in on Embarkation day ... let alone from Canada ... so it wouldnt happen. I always fly in the day before.... even if its later at night. I think its foolish to risk your cruise.

FLL can and does handle the chaos all the time. However, DO NOT fly in the day of your cruise!!!!! Weather is a huge issue in the north that time of year, and there can be other issues as well. Just not a good idea, nor a good way to start a vacation.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

I know I have some time before I even start looking for airfare, but it looks like its a resounding fly in before hand. I know the snow can be a factor, the only other time I went away for spring break, I was grounded for 2 days returning from Switzerland. That seems to be everyone's number 1 reason why. I guess now I have to decide if its worth the money to fly out from TO and deal with the crowds there or save a few bucks and deal with the border crossing and the crowds at the airport.

Thanks again!

We are on going to be on the same cruise, we will be coming from Victoria, BC with 3 kids (9DD, 4DS, 2DS) and meeting my brother from Ottawa with 3 kids as well (11DS, 7DS, 5DD). Which cabin are you in and what ages are your kids.

We will be flying in 10 days prior as we are going to Disney World as well, but will be in to FLL thurs night or early friday morning

My advice would be to fly in a day before also if you can fly out on the Monday it is alot cheaper

Good Luck

@livingskies,

currently we have a promenade stateroom on deck 7, although I have thought about changing it several times. For no other reason then not truly knowing what is best :rolleyes:

It will be DH (39), myself (38) and DS (13).

Sounds like you're going to have a great family trip!

I have reserved myself to flying out to FLL on the Thursday of Friday prior. While I would love to do Disney beforehand as well, we went against the Disney Dream because my husband didn't want the broken up travel, why I don't know, just because really he doesn't have a clue about cruising....I have yet to tell him we'll be doing it anyways ;)

The latest I would fly in is the day before. Balance losing a complete cruise or spending a few extra dollars on a hotel. You know as well as all western New Yorkers know that a snow storm can blow in off the lake at anytime shutting Buffalo down.

How far in advance would you book your pre hotels for that time? I have been looking around and I see that some already say they have small amount of rooms left. I also noticed that my credit card expires prior to our trip and a lot of the online bookings won't allow me to hold (or in some cases) prepay for a room. I checked with the credit card company and they will only issue a new credit 6 months prior to expiry, which means the end of September. Enough time to wait till then?

Archived